DO Urology programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gentamicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 3rd year DO student, and want to apply to the DO Urology programs. Does anyone know whether you can match into Urology or a Urology linked internship program as a 4th year medical student? If so what programs are there? Or do you have to finish an internship year and then apply for a Urology spot? The programs that I've called so far do not have linked residency programs. Also how do you get into a Urology program? Any info is appreciated.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

gentamicin said:
Hi,

I am a 3rd year DO student, and want to apply to the DO Urology programs. Does anyone know whether you can match into Urology or a Urology linked internship program as a 4th year medical student? If so what programs are there? Or do you have to finish an internship year and then apply for a Urology spot? The programs that I've called so far do not have linked residency programs. Also how do you get into a Urology program? Any info is appreciated.

thanks

I know it is tough to get info on some DO specialties, so I will try to help.

A friend of mine matched to a urology linked program at Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital(POH). According to him, all the Detroit programs are in one big consortium. The hospital that takes a linked intern rotates among the consortium. I think he said the other residents all apply after internship but don't hold me to that. By doing the linked internship, you actually decrease by one the toal number of years in residency.

I would try calling all the Detroit programs listed and ask each who is taking the linked intern that year and rotate there. Definitely ask more than one program and don't trust the med ed person to know this info. I know people that rotated at programs in ENT that were not taking a resident that year. What a waste of 2-4 weeks. Try to at least talk to a resident. I am not sure how the other non-Detroit programs work.

Obviously, all the info is hearsay, but I thought it might help. I would definitely look into the Cook County Program in Chicago. Wish I could help more.

gentamicin said:
Hi,

thanks

Now I'm no expert and hopefully the current Uro-docs will correct any errant information in my post, but here it goes.

The best thing for you to do if interested in Urology is to:

1. go to http://urologymatch.com/
2. look up all the available Urology programs for both DO and MD
3. set up a sub-internship for Urology at one of the programs at which you
would like to apply
4. work your tail off to get that Chair letter
5. apply early and broad
6. wait and sweat bullets until the process is over

I hope this helps give you an idea of the process. I was here a short while ago asking the same thing and I found out all this relatively quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Urology is pretty competitive. Last year, there were 232 spots that were available and they all filled. I'm not sure if that includes DO positions. From what I know these were all residency spots approved by the AUA. Is there a different association for DO urologists? I'm not sure...

Anyway, good luck with the match process. I went through it last year and succeeded even with the mismatch process. Though, I'm allopathic. PM me if you have any questions.

vtdo07 said:
Now I'm no expert and hopefully the current Uro-docs will correct any errant information in my post, but here it goes.

would like to apply
5. apply early and broad

I hope this helps give you an idea of the process. I was here a short while ago asking the same thing and I found out all this relatively quickly.

The 232 spots do not include DO positions. From what I understand, there are very few DO urology programs, around 10. I have a DO friend who matched into a DO program. He did a rotating internship because in PA DO's are required to do that for licensure. He interviewed during his intern year and matched. I understood it to be akin to a job interview with no matching process and he found out within 2 weeks, but then again he matched where he went to med school, and they already knew him there. Some DO's apply for allopathic spots as fourth years and match, some do the rotating internship and apply for allopathic spots. Bottom line, it is extremely competative and even more so for DO's. Some PD's I spoke to told me they never interview DO's, some places won't even let them do sub-I's. I met a few DOs on the trail this past year, and only know of one who matched, but again at a place where they had sub-I'd.

Ginz20 said:
Any advice on matching into Urology for those of us at allopathic schools?

Mabe you missed this post. This is excellent advice.

vtdo07 Quote:

would like to apply
5. apply early and broad

Ginz20 said:
Any advice on matching into Urology for those of us at allopathic schools?
1) Get good board scores, greater than 230 is probably ideal. But I know of people who matched in the 220's.
2) Do well in your third year. Get honors in surgery, medicine, etc.
3) Get honors in your 4th year urology electives. Rotate at academic centers where there is a chairperson who is somewhat well known. Hopefully, the chair will write you a good letter.
4) Apply to a large number of programs and be willing to interview at a number of places.
5) Be honest with yourself re: the type of program you want to go to. Just because it's Ivy league doesn't mean that it's going to be right for you.
6) Do well on your interviews. Be amiable, don't complain about the food being served, be friendly to the staff-secretaries, etc, select your interview sites well. See point 5 above.
7) List as many places as possible that you'd be willing to go to. If living in some horrible place is better for you than not matching, list it. Vice versa, don't rank a place if you know you don't want to be there for 5 years.

Good luck.