Incoming M1 Considering - Planning for Urology Match from Newer Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughaskoff

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am an incoming M1 and am seriously interested in urology. Looking for advice on building a competitive application given my program’s profile.

Quick context: school has a 2-year preclinical curriculum, matches approximately 1 person to urology annually, and does not have its own affiliated hospital - though there are nearby options for clinical exposure and research.

A few questions:
1. For those who matched urology from newer or non-top-20 programs, what was the most important factor in your application?
2. How early should I be pursuing urology-specific research? I have no prior urology research so will essentially be starting from scratch.
3. How does a 2-year preclinical affect Step timing relative to ERAS?
4. How aggressively should I approach away rotations, and how many did people find necessary coming from programs without a strong match history?
5. What Step score targets are realistic to aim for when coming from a non-name program?
6. Given limited home urology faculty and no affiliated hospital, how did people secure strong urology letters of recommendation?

Thank you so much.
 
Last edited:
For competitive specialties in general, especially with no home program, aways will be very important. That is where you will get probably most of your letters from as well.

You may get more traction/responses (and more specific responses) in the urology forums further down the forum list. If you want to leave this here for a while but would like it moved there down the line (or want it moved now), let us know.
 
For competitive specialties in general, especially with no home program, aways will be very important. That is where you will get probably most of your letters from as well.

You may get more traction/responses (and more specific responses) in the urology forums further down the forum list. If you want to leave this here for a while but would like it moved there down the line (or want it moved now), let us know.
That would be fantastic - thank you so much for your input and help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats on getting into medical school!

If you think urology is going to be your goal and you have other options, I would consider going to a school with a urology residency program. Your home program will be one of your best chances to match and will give you access to academic urologists who are doing research and have connections in the field. Urology is a very small field, and these connections can really open doors for you.

That said, if Quinnipiac is your option, you can definitely make it happen. Fortunately, there are 2 good urology residencies within a 30 minute drive of Quinnipiac---Yale and UConn.

I would reach out to the residency directors at one or both of these programs early on in the preclinical years and talk about what it will take to get into a urology residency. Ask to start working on clinical research ASAP -- the more urology focused publications you get onto your CV, the better your chances. Good projects may easily take a couple of years to get to point of publication, so its important to start early. Ask if you can attend their grand rounds which will help you learn about urology and will be valuable networking opportunities with attendings and residents.

It would also be a good idea to make contact with the urology chair at your clinical rotation sites, even though there is no residency. They will know tons of urologists regionally and even nationwide -- and like I said earlier a few sentence email from one of these people can open a lot of doors for you.

As you progress, 4th year away rotations will be critical for you. I would aim for at least 3 if your school allows it. Focus on programs where you are competitive for your best chance to match. The contacts you have made by then at Yale or UConn should be able to help you narrow down some target programs.

Priorities:
Preclinical years (MS1 and MS2)--
  • high academic performance
  • make connections at academic urology programs
  • as much research as possible
  • pass step 1
Clinical years (MS3 and MS4) --
  • high academic performance (honors) on clinical rotations (especially general surgery and medicine)
  • continue research--need multiple publications and/or presentations to have a competitive application
  • high performance at multiple away rotations in urology -- these are audition rotations and will be your best chance to match, also will get you LORs for your applications elsewhere
  • Get a high score on Step 2 exam
 
Congrats on getting into medical school!

If you think urology is going to be your goal and you have other options, I would consider going to a school with a urology residency program. Your home program will be one of your best chances to match and will give you access to academic urologists who are doing research and have connections in the field. Urology is a very small field, and these connections can really open doors for you.

That said, if Quinnipiac is your option, you can definitely make it happen. Fortunately, there are 2 good urology residencies within a 30 minute drive of Quinnipiac---Yale and UConn.

I would reach out to the residency directors at one or both of these programs early on in the preclinical years and talk about what it will take to get into a urology residency. Ask to start working on clinical research ASAP -- the more urology focused publications you get onto your CV, the better your chances. Good projects may easily take a couple of years to get to point of publication, so its important to start early. Ask if you can attend their grand rounds which will help you learn about urology and will be valuable networking opportunities with attendings and residents.

It would also be a good idea to make contact with the urology chair at your clinical rotation sites, even though there is no residency. They will know tons of urologists regionally and even nationwide -- and like I said earlier a few sentence email from one of these people can open a lot of doors for you.

As you progress, 4th year away rotations will be critical for you. I would aim for at least 3 if your school allows it. Focus on programs where you are competitive for your best chance to match. The contacts you have made by then at Yale or UConn should be able to help you narrow down some target programs.

Priorities:
Preclinical years (MS1 and MS2)--
  • high academic performance
  • make connections at academic urology programs
  • as much research as possible
  • pass step 1
Clinical years (MS3 and MS4) --
  • high academic performance (honors) on clinical rotations (especially general surgery and medicine)
  • continue research--need multiple publications and/or presentations to have a competitive application
  • high performance at multiple away rotations in urology -- these are audition rotations and will be your best chance to match, also will get you LORs for your applications elsewhere
  • Get a high score on Step 2 exam
Hi,


Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and detailed response - I really appreciate it.


Just to clarify my situation: Netter is currently my only acceptance, so I'm fully committed to making it work from there. Your point about Yale and UConn being nearby is really encouraging - I honestly hadn't realized how close they were, and that completely shifts my thinking about early research opportunities.


I also discovered that two of Netter's main clinical training sites are actually rotation sites for UConn's urology residency program, which means I'd have access to UConn urology faculty during my normal M3/M4 clerkships. Does this change the sentiment at all about the home program disadvantage?


That said, I am on the waitlist at one school that does have a home urology program, but it's significantly further from my family and partner. I've been weighing whether to pursue it if it opens up. Netter has some structural advantages that appeal to me - no internal ranking, no AOA, and the 2-year preclinical curriculum which would give me more protected time for research. Do you think those advantages at Netter could offset not having a home program, especially given the proximity to Yale and UConn? Or is the home program connection really that critical for matching?


If you don't mind, I also have a couple of follow-up questions based on your advice:
  1. When you suggest reaching out to residency directors early on - are you thinking literal first semester M1, or is there a better timing before it comes across as too premature?
  2. For making initial contact with Yale/UConn faculty, would you recommend leading with asking about research opportunities specifically, or framing it more broadly as seeking mentorship in the field?

Your priorities breakdown for preclinical vs. clinical years is exactly the kind of concrete roadmap I was hoping for. Thanks again for sharing your insight - it means a lot.
 
Hi,


Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and detailed response - I really appreciate it.


Just to clarify my situation: Netter is currently my only acceptance, so I'm fully committed to making it work from there. Your point about Yale and UConn being nearby is really encouraging - I honestly hadn't realized how close they were, and that completely shifts my thinking about early research opportunities.


I also discovered that two of Netter's main clinical training sites are actually rotation sites for UConn's urology residency program, which means I'd have access to UConn urology faculty during my normal M3/M4 clerkships. Does this change the sentiment at all about the home program disadvantage?


That said, I am on the waitlist at one school that does have a home urology program, but it's significantly further from my family and partner. I've been weighing whether to pursue it if it opens up. Netter has some structural advantages that appeal to me - no internal ranking, no AOA, and the 2-year preclinical curriculum which would give me more protected time for research. Do you think those advantages at Netter could offset not having a home program, especially given the proximity to Yale and UConn? Or is the home program connection really that critical for matching?


If you don't mind, I also have a couple of follow-up questions based on your advice:
  1. When you suggest reaching out to residency directors early on - are you thinking literal first semester M1, or is there a better timing before it comes across as too premature?
  2. For making initial contact with Yale/UConn faculty, would you recommend leading with asking about research opportunities specifically, or framing it more broadly as seeking mentorship in the field?

Your priorities breakdown for preclinical vs. clinical years is exactly the kind of concrete roadmap I was hoping for. Thanks again for sharing your insight - it means a lot.

Get settled in and make sure you do well on your first couple of exams. Then I would reach out sometime during first semester. I would just explain your situation and interest, and the research discussion will develop organically. They will very much understand your situation. Make sure you are prepared to discuss your goals and why you want to do urology at the first meeting.

If Quinnipiac has significant geographic advantages for you, I think you can definitely match from there. Good advice above to talk to alumni who have matched urology. They will have good advice. There is a good chance one of them may be at UConn or Yale and can make an introduction which will make this process a lot easier.
 
Get settled in and make sure you do well on your first couple of exams. Then I would reach out sometime during first semester. I would just explain your situation and interest, and the research discussion will develop organically. They will very much understand your situation. Make sure you are prepared to discuss your goals and why you want to do urology at the first meeting.

If Quinnipiac has significant geographic advantages for you, I think you can definitely match from there. Good advice above to talk to alumni who have matched urology. They will have good advice. There is a good chance one of them may be at UConn or Yale and can make an introduction which will make this process a lot easier.
Thank you so much!! This is super helpful. I really appreciate all of your time!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.