Do veteran Pharmacists still got it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureRXdealer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the situation. I was talking to a pharmacist who was about to start residency for med school. Out of curiousity, I asked why he went to med school after pharmacy. He told me his reasons and started comparing the differences between the two professions. He noted that since pharmacists only have to take the NAPLEX test once, alot of them dont keep up on new medications and the stuff they dont use, the forget. He said They only do the required CE's and thats it and if every pharmacist were to take the NAPLEX test right now, only about 20% would pass. Personally, I think he was biased and fed up with the profession. I dont think the numbers are that drastic, but its not inconceivable for some not to re-pass it. What do you guys think is a closer estimate?

Members don't see this ad.

I work with a few Pharmacist that are like that. But it doesn't matter to them because we have a couple of PDA's that are up-to-date with all the latest drug information. All you have to do is plug it into a computer via USB, go the the official website and download the new material onto the PDA

I know I couldn't pass the old California Board now....

Members don't see this ad :)
Like Zpak - the old CA boards were really, really hard - but, I'm guessing I could do it again if I had to - don't want to!

But - give me a break - dentistry passes 2 national boards & 1 state board & as long as they maintain their CE & CPR & malpractice CE, they're good for as long as they pay their fees - just like us. My husband couldn't nor wouldn't do a gold foil filling that he had to do for the state board exam (the last one he ever did, I think.).

Likewise - medicine - they pass 3 national board exams, take a state law licensing exam, pass an annual CPR & med mal CE & they're good...I'm going to guess your friend at the end of his residency will have forgotten lots of what he knew when he took his Step I exam.

How is this different???? We keep up with our practice settings - just like everyone else. If you're a bad practioner, you're just bad - no matter the speciality in healthcare..I have to keep up with CE & CPR just like others in different fields.

I honestly don't keep up with antineoplastics & have forgotten lots of what I learned (which is outdated now anyway) because I don't use it - I'm not an oncology pharmacist for a reason! I'd never put myself out there as such so I'm not in the position of defending an indefensible position.

Like Zpak - the old CA boards were really, really hard - but, I'm guessing I could do it again if I had to - don't want to!

But - give me a break - dentistry passes 2 national boards & 1 state board & as long as they maintain their CE & CPR & malpractice CE, they're good for as long as they pay their fees - just like us. My husband couldn't nor wouldn't do a gold foil filling that he had to do for the state board exam (the last one he ever did, I think.).

Likewise - medicine - they pass 3 national board exams, take a state law licensing exam, pass an annual CPR & med mal CE & they're good...I'm going to guess your friend at the end of his residency will have forgotten lots of what he knew when he took his Step I exam.

How is this different???? We keep up with our practice settings - just like everyone else. If you're a bad practioner, you're just bad - no matter the speciality in healthcare..I have to keep up with CE & CPR just like others in different fields.

I honestly don't keep up with antineoplastics & have forgotten lots of what I learned (which is outdated now anyway) because I don't use it - I'm not an oncology pharmacist for a reason! I'd never put myself out there as such so I'm not in the position of defending an indefensible position.

Wow I did not know that about dentistry! Very interesting. I think the guy was fed up (he was a floater) with pharmacy and thought becoming an MD would bring him more gratification. I know alot of pharmacists who do more CE's then required. I also know some who do the minimum (nothing wrong with that.) I was just curious as to what others thought. Thanks for the input!

i think with bcps you have to take a test every 4 years or so.. i might be mistaken

i think with bcps you have to take a test every 4 years or so.. i might be mistaken

5-7 years depending on the speciality & some will allow recredentialling by CE - again depends on which speciality.