Do Veterinary Technician classes count as veterinary or animal experience for vet school apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheboss

CVT
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a certified veterinary technician and I am finishing my undergraduate degree in small animal science.
I'm going to be applying to vet school in the fall and I am getting all my materials together, but I am stumped if any of my hands on vet tech classes count towards animal or veterinary experience. We did blood draws, nail trims, etc. as well as surgery in some classes all under supervision of a veterinarian.
Also, do the vet tech classes count towards my cumulative science degree? They are all VET-228 style classes, not BY/BIO.

And while I'm bringing it up, do you think being a CVT will help me get into vet school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a certified veterinary technician and I am finishing my undergraduate degree in small animal science.
I'm going to be applying to vet school in the fall and I am getting all my materials together, but I am stumped if any of my hands on vet tech classes count towards animal or veterinary experience. We did blood draws, nail trims, etc. as well as surgery in some classes all under supervision of a veterinarian.
Also, do the vet tech classes count towards my cumulative science degree? They are all VET-228 style classes, not BY/BIO.

And while I'm bringing it up, do you think being a CVT will help me get into vet school?

Thanks!
the bolded depends on your college and you should ask them

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as what they count for what when it comes to calculating your exact GPA, they decide that and I honestly don't know if my vet tech classes counted toward science GPA, or only cumulative.

When I applied I counted my tech school labs and experience as veterinary experience, as all of ours was directly monitored by a veterinarian and from what you said it sounds like that is your case as well. The big thing is to include all of it somehow somewhere. Even if you went to a lab and held a sheep for 0.2 seconds talk about it! Don't lie and make stuff up, but make sure that you don't leave anything out because you think it may be insignificant.

I feel like this saga is never-ending. I had some problems with this last year, although my particular classes were full of animal/research experience, not vet experience.

VMCAS will tell you that under no circumstances will ANY classroom experience (research, veterinary, animal, etc.) count on your application. At least they told em that last year. Even though they have a "Classroom" category....

Some schools want to see it.

What I did? I put it on there anyways. If they don't want to count it, they won't. But you can't tell me that 300 research hours of designing and completing my own research project followed by an unpublished paper on it is not valid experience. I can't tell you whether or not putting classroom experience on the app will be a red flag for some schools, though. Best to call and ask. If only one of your schools wants to see it, you should put it on there.

TL;DR: You will get a different answer from nearly every person you ask.

I am a certified vet tech as well... I applied to 4 schools (UC Davis, Western, UIUC, and Ross) and they didn't count any of my vet tech class into science GPA. But they did count it into overall GPA and last 45-Semester GPA..