DO vs. Caribbean MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dknykid1980

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there playa-

ok yes, like skip said this has been discussed before. I juggled with the option of going down to the carib for a while. HOWEVER, i am at a US school and all i can say is this.

go to the caribbean if it is a last resort (ie u've applied and gotten rejected from US schools at least twice or so). I repeat that! I mean even SGU admissions ppl will tell you that, as well as people on their own forum. seriously any carib school should be a real 'desparation' shot so to speak. I mean the reason i tell you this is because I've talked to classmates of mine, people at other schools, professionals, etc. Indeed, if you are US grad you are a US grad. However, inevitably there will always be a stigma attached to you if you go over to the carib. RESIDENCY directors have even told me not to do it. however, some will concede that they do get residencies. yes they do. however, like i said you will get a lot of $hit for it down the line. Many people will look down on you etc.

its your call. I mean i was pretty adamant of not taking a year of etc, however, with all the workload you get in med school sometimes it feels as if it wouldnt have been a bad idea.

so thats my 2 cents.
good luck. PM me if you have any other q's.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are afraid of the stigma of not becoming an MD, do not go to DO school. Once you graduate from an MD caribbean school, atleast no one can tell without looking at your resume that you did not train at a US MD program.

However, if you really don't care but would rather have a better shot at getting residencies, I would go DO. I say this because I am in the process of applying for residency (Emergency Medicine) and have 10 interviews at MD EM residencies already (more to come since all the ERAS apps are complete).... I am not sure how my counterpart caribbean medicine counterparts are doing.

It really all depends on how insecure you are about titles/training. I don't really care. I'm going to graduate in May and will be a very competent physician. Those graduating from SGU or wherever I"m sure will be competent physicians as well. I will be a DO, they will be an MD........ doesn't really matter if you get what residency you want.

Oh my bad SKIP,

did I step on some toes by expressing MY OPINION about this matter to a younger, eager, aspiring, curious future physician? Oh I get it I wasnt supposed to tell him/her EVERYTHING I knew about this subject matter. Rather, I should sugar coat everything about caribbean medical school....sorry buddy I'll leave that up to the caribbean medical schools themselves who are doing a fine job of it!

Playa, and anyone else. I'm simply saying that hey this is how it is. Like others who posted here, here is the order in which residency programs rank you.

1)US Allopathic
2)US DO
3) FOREIGN Allopathic (like Indian, Aussies, British)
4) Caribbean

That's a pretty sincere showing of how they're going to look at you. Needless to say, some like our friend Skippie will go on and relate their stories about how they could have gotten into a US school, etc. Nonetheless, you will see if you look at the above 'ranking of sorts' the two highest ranked categories have 'US' preceding them. You dont have to take my word for it. Go to the international forum and also some caribbean forums and see what they think. ANYONE who doesnt want to mislead you will surely concede that my above ranking is highly accurate. If you still dont believe me just go to a nearby hospital and ask a residency director (that's what I did).

Good luck.

p.s. wow skippie didnt know you were still soo quick to bite onto the bait. toodles.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend going to an osteopathic medical school rather than attending a medical school in the Caribbean.

I would, however, advise that you become comfortable with the fact that you'll be a D.O. for the rest of your life. I know far too many osteopathic medical students who complain that the D.O. is a handicap. It definitely has not proven to be a handicap for the osteopathic students I know. I've met many D.O. students over the last three and a half years and know that these guys are interviewing at high-powered programs in areas as competitive as Rays and EM.

Good luck.

Originally posted by great north

I would rather do an ophathlmology residency in Georgia (the country) and practice in Nigeria giving people sight than have to deal with ignorance.

Um, practicing in Nigeria to escape ignorance in the US?! :confused: You might want to look into some of the things that are happening in Nigeria; lest you will be accused of being ignorant like us Americans. ;)

hey skip-

Truly you are simply trying to defend yourself as a caribbean med student. I realize that you will try to defend yourself and your school based on the fact that you will be a caribbean med grad! however, based on what i stated earlier and based on what almost EVERYONE subsequently posted about caribbean medical schools I was correct--I did by no means want to lead this young, applicant into a misconstrued conception of caribbean schools being a viable option and somewhat equal option to US schools because quite frankly they arent!

As almost everyone here in this forum agreed upon, US schools are far superior...there is no doubt about it. DO schools are a lot harder to get into than caribbean med schools.

Ok, true I was THINKING of going to a caribbean med school and true I am a first year student. HOwever, being a first year student doesnt mean i'm naive. I made the INFORMED decision of attending a US school, because I didnt want to have the difficulties of coming over to the US and face the PDs at all these schools. And just because I got in late to a US med school doesnt mean anything! if you were more well read you would have known that AMCAS had a fiasco last year(that's right you dont know waht AMCAS is do you? It's the US med school application service). For your informatoin a ton of friends of mine got in even later than me! So what's your point about getting in late, I GOT IN!

now as far as defending yourself, like I said I understand it is an innate tendency for self conscious individuals to engage in. Come on skip get real and admit that caribbean med schools are inferior. almost everyone in this forum that posted in this thread agrees that it is.

Even more buddy, did you know that when i interviewed at Ross (your school) it was a complete joke. I was ready to answer questions about how HMOs will affect healthcare and stell cells research, etc. When i got to the interview, the lady didnt even allow me to speak. she didnt care what my grades were. the whole 'interview' was basically a sales pitch! bottom line is that caribbean schools are there for generating $$ and diplomas. Thus, I dont know how you or anyone of your peers can go on and degrade DO schools or equivocate your schools with AMERICAN allopathic schools. Though, this argument may seem elitist, I'm simply stating views that almost all american grads and PD's across the nation share. you may desire to call it "bull$hit" or us being american "a$$holes" however, we have earned the right to be one :) I know that I along with several of my colleagues in US schools have worked night and day and STUDIED to get to where we are. WE have studied to get those MD or DO designations. However, I see it to be quite futile how any JOE BLOW, who failed half of his/hers classes or completely slacked, can just walk up to a school off shore and get those same letters that we've strived and worked for.

So buddy get real buddy. I know the reason you didnt want to have this discussed in the ALLOPATHIC forum is because you dont want to get humiliated in front of american grads. you'd rather the humiliation occur in the international forum, where no one reads threads. but hey the truth comes out. Can you handle it?

gotta study

DKNY

There is a grad of Ross that is doing a neurology residency here at U.Kentucky. I have had the pleasure of working with him on but one occasion and I must say he was quite knowledgable and far more friendly and helpful than most residents I have had the priviledge of working with. Maybe he was more friendly because he learned humility at Ross. Something, along with class, of which dknykid obviously has none. If all Ross grads are like this guy, then maybe everyone should go there to be a doc. He was, in my opinion, a class act in every way. This is not atypical according to residency directors with which I have spoken. And dknykid, no one is impressed with your belittling of fmg's and foreign med schools. Get a life, buddy.

Yet it was no doubt also expressed when north american universities were but 25 years old, as Ross and SGU are, by matriculants at the great universities of the UK: University of London, Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge), University of Edinborough, Universita di Pisa, Al-Azhar University in Cairo, all of which are 100s where some are close to 1000 years old. Thus these views are typical of someone with little world exposure and who has yet to see that when you save or cure someone of an affliction..they all respond "thank you doctor". Time will tell what impact you have on the world around you.

Hope to see you on rotations.

Interesting point. Time was when an American medical education was NOT sought after, when any self-respecting future physician went to Europe for his medical education (and this was less than 100 years ago).

BTW, for those who may be inclined to think that EVERYONE thinks that an American medical education is the best, you need only to spend some time outside of the US. While there are certain places in the US that are well-respected throughout the world, many are not and the locals elsewhere would prefer their own schools/hospitals.

...I agree. We here in Canada feel the same way about American medical schools, I mean how is it that the average applicant at the University of British Columbia with an MCAT of ~10, ~11, Q, ~11 and a medical pre-requiste average of A- or roughly 3.5 still can't even get into a medical school where their grades were acheived with exams that require written answers and effort while in America your accepted with an average MCAT of 26.5 at certain institutions and your undergarduate eduaction is pathetic as evidenced by the product that resuts.

uhm....UBC admissions is pretty much BS. That is a terrible example you used.

http://www.admissions.med.ubc.ca/stats/page3.htm
http://www.admissions.med.ubc.ca/stats/page2.htm

The entering MCAT is really not that high. The entering GPA is really not that high. In fact, you have a better chance (higher acceptance rate) of getting accepted with B+ average than with A+ average.

This has been discussed heatedly in a couple threads on another board....
http://pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm14.showMessage?topicID=183.topic

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm14.showMessageRange?topicID=206.topic&start=21&stop=30

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
Interesting point. Time was when an American medical education was NOT sought after, when any self-respecting future physician went to Europe for his medical education (and this was less than 100 years ago).

BTW, for those who may be inclined to think that EVERYONE thinks that an American medical education is the best, you need only to spend some time outside of the US. While there are certain places in the US that are well-respected throughout the world, many are not and the locals elsewhere would prefer their own schools/hospitals.

I think that a couple posters have place a lot of emphasis on "tradition" and "history." These are definitely great to build your reputation on. However, for anyone who has passed through Oxford and McGill, he or she knows how much trouble these places are undergoing. Oxford is having financial trouble since it is still a public schools that relies on government fund that is getting less and less. It has finally paid more attention to asking for private industry to help out and ask for alumuni support. But these are still not up to par what american universities have been doing for DECADES to build up their undowment. McGill is also struggling mightily as an flagship English-speaking university within a fracophone province, i.e. no love from the government in terms of funding. The 100 million dollar donation around year 2000 might have helped some. But long-term future is still up in the air.

All in all, American universities and med schools do not obtain their swagger based on nothing. History and tradition might not be behind them, but $$$ definitely is. Oxbridge, McGill, Sorbonne (by the way, Sorbonne is not even that prestigious among French people already), etc. can only drool over the financial power of MANY American universities. Just compare the computer and library facilities for medical student education in the US to that in Canada, UK, etc. and you will notice a big big difference.

Originally posted by Thewonderer

All in all, American universities and med schools do not obtain their swagger based on nothing. History and tradition might not be behind them, but $$$ definitely is. Oxbridge, McGill, Sorbonne (by the way, Sorbonne is not even that prestigious among French people already), etc. can only drool over the financial power of MANY American universities. Just compare the computer and library facilities for medical student education in the US to that in Canada, UK, etc. and you will notice a big big difference.

I can...by far, the Australian schools computer access/resources beat out Stanford's despite the latters financial power.

At any rate, I agree that the $$$$ are generally spent in the US; however, I'm not sure this translates to quality of education. After all, how did students learn before gleaming computer labs or brand new texts? Mentorship and faculty education. Resources are great but you have to have guidance and the ability to use them. I don't buy the argument that more money means a better education or better health care.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
I can...by far, the Australian schools computer access/resources beat out Stanford's despite the latters financial power.

At any rate, I agree that the $$$$ are generally spent in the US; however, I'm not sure this translates to quality of education. After all, how did students learn before gleaming computer labs or brand new texts? Mentorship and faculty education. Resources are great but you have to have guidance and the ability to use them. I don't buy the argument that more money means a better education or better health care.

I am surprised that Australian school's computer system would beat Stanford's. Can it beat MIT's, Cornell's, Harvard's, Drexel's (the most wired school in the US), Carnigie Mellon's, etc.? Or since you are at Hershey, how does your old school's computer system compare to the one that Hershy students have acccess to right now?

Mentorship and faculty education/retention are better in many parts of the US. Do you know for Oxford, a biology professor (i.e. tutor) gets paid 20k pounds from the university and 15k from the college (and if the college is rich like Magdelen, St. John, Queen's or Christ Church, the tutor might get 20k from the college)? And when you combine both contracts together, a full-time professor does not get more than 40k a year! With cost of living that high in UK, that's translated to 40k US in terms of buying power. On top of that, at Oxford, they make you do lectureship and work in other people's lab for a couple years before giving you the fund to start your own lab (Even Penn State can throw more money around). With those factors combined, a lot of them would jump the ship to come to the US. The only thing holding some of the tutors back are the prestige of Oxford and their love for tutorial teaching. Some of them also publish books and don't need their university contract sole income. But you will be surprised how much $$$ does contribute to mentorship and faculty education/retention.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL

BLITZKRIEG, nice one. Caribbean DO....

anyways....ok listen guys/gals I've been under a lot of stress given my busy week, so I apologize for coming off as a elitist american med school attendee. HOwever, I still can not fathom how anyone can ever justify Caribbean med schools as being as great as US med schools. Do you all even know why they were established? They were initially established for kids who have a lot of money who cant get into a US school to buy their way into med school! I think its a pretty indisputable fact that those 'institutions' if you may, are solely for financial gain of their owners and were not built to further the betterment of patients!

Oh by the way I think it was Great north or someone who tried attacking me by stating that I went into medicine for the money, thus the use of 'a$$hole'. For your information, i was merely mirroring what SKIp over there used, sorry for not giving its author credit, maybe i'll put quotes around it next time. In addition, by no means am i doing this for the money! LOL...I think I would be making a lot more if I went into a business field, but it was a nice try to make my argument void. Next to Lara. I'm glad you got into a US school, sorry to hear about the Canadian thing. However, what's your point? Friends of mine got into Ivy League med schools and not schools in the midwest, so does that make mid west schools harder to get into? I'll admit there is a lot of fate that guys into the admissions process. HOwever, it's one thing to try again next year and try to become an American educated physician rather than 'hey let me give up and go to the caribbean' style doc. There are people that are in their 30's in my class who are M1's and theyve been trying for a while to get in.....my admiration lies with them who worked their tails off and pursued an education here and did not give up and go to the caribbean! I know kids that have gotten into caribbean med schools (ROSS and AUC) straight out of high school a couple of years ago....what does that say about their quality?

The fact of the matter is that we can argue about this topic forever and I'm sure we will. However, what the program directors at residencies and elsewhere see are US schools being better than all other foreign institutions. And another thing. Let's not fool ourselves here. I've known TONS of family friends who have no business pursuing medicine based on their grades, scores, and their sole intention of going into medicine for the money. SKIP you know that's the case! I'm sure there could be the exception here and there. DID you all know that ROss doesnt even require a BS/BA degree to get into? They dont even require the MCATs! they only ask for the MCATs to do statistical analysis. I ask you all what kind of 'school' is this? If you dont believe me call them up or go visit their website! I'm telling you, when I went to their interview it was a complete sales pitch! But I suppose in Skip's mind he would have you consider that place a medical school.

Like I said before. I apologize for coming on like such an elitist, however, I will not allow nor stand for someone like SKIP to come on here and TRY to equivocate US (or for that matter state that Caribbean grads have better clinical expertise) schools with caribbean schools. HERE's the bottom line. All things (grades, interview, mcat scores, etc) being excellent and you had a choice of a US school with that of a foreign institution where would you go???? I can tell you that when I did talk to M2's at SGU when I CONSIDERED the school, they ALL told me that they would be trying to transfer to US schools their third year. So it seems to be a consensus that US schools are more yearned for.

but of course skippy would have you feel otherwise. Good luck.

Originally posted by Lara

It's probably safe to say that in *general* Canadians need higher stats to get into med school - on the link you posted, 3.7 GPA and 33Q was described as simply average. That's competitive for high-tier if perhaps not the top 10 schools in the US. BUT very few would lay claim that Canada produces superior physicians as a result. And by the same token, I imagine that those who *do* get through SGU or Ross succesfully are in general as intelligent and competent as your typical US grad.

I don't quite agree with the first part of the paragraph. I think that you and Great North have been exaggerating the difficulty of getting into Canadian med schools while downplaying the difficulty of getting into American med schools.

First of all, in Canadian undergrads, 80% as a cut off for A- is SIMPLY low. I personally know 5 friends from highschool who have gotten 90%+ at Queen's and UBC. Yes, every year, Canadian schools weed out lots of people and they have to transfer out to Langara or other community colleges to wait their chance to transfer back to university. However, I would say that's because there is no standard between different highschools in Canada. There is no "SAT" equivalent. Some highschools like mine did well preparing their kids (and my friends have therefore creamed their competition at Queen's and UBC). HOwever, plenty of highschools give out easy A's and when their kids get to UBC, U of T, McGill, etc., they get slammed!!! There is no Ivy in Canada whose kids are not only in top 10% of their highschool classes but ALSO within top 5-10% on a STANDARDIZED academic exam (i.e. SAT). I mean, a few years back, highschool teachers intentionally bumped their students' English grade by a few percentages so they would be eligible for OSI (a $2,000 tuition scholarship given out by UBC for EVERY first-year student who carried 86% average from highschool, with a stipulation that they also had A- or higher in English). Come on!!! If there were a verbal SAT equivalent in Canada, these highschool teachers could not cheat the system. Now, UBC has finally done away with OSI (which was a stupid idea anyway. why not require A- or higher in Math? why did it have to be english? that was bs).

Secondly, it takes more than 33 MCAT to be competitive at top 10 US med schools if you are not an URM.

Third, you hear people getting into American schools while getting rejected from Canadian schools. Well, I am sure if EVERYONE who applied to UBC med also apply to Stanford med, 90% of them will not EVEN get an interview. Then, you will hear how much harder it is to get into American med than Canadian med.

see the above post is exactly what i'm trying to get at.

Look at it skippy, its one of your own colleagues! I dont even know the guy so you can rest assure skippy that i didnt tell him to say that!

1) If Canadian medical schools are not more challenging to gain acceptance to then why have you matriculated at an American school? Was is it your first choice?

That's irrelevant to the discussion. If you want to think that I got rejected from all Canadian med schools and have to settle with an expensive US private school, then so be it. If you want to think that I got into all the schools I applied to on both sides of the border, but decided to enroll at med school on the caliber of Hopkins, Columbia, UCSF, Penn,etc., then that's fine with me too. I know what I am talking about in our discussion. That's all that matters.

2) While a national standardized exam would be a good idea in Canada, I hardly think that any high school anywhere can fully prepare one for the rigours of Canadian undergraduate challenges.

You are seriously, vastly exaggerating the "rigor" of Canadian undergraduate education.

Yes, I too have seen friends/acquaintences with 4.0 highschool averages get "slammed", but that was more to do with entering an environment in Canadian universities where, at least in the faculty of engineering at Concordia, the philosophy was- we are going to do our best to fail you, and indeed we started with 50 students and by the end only about 25 recieved their B.Eng.

again, that's because there is no standard across the grades that highschools in Canada give to their kids. Some kids who got A's and B's in highschools have no business to be at a university. And university will have to fail them to maintain "some" sort of standard.

Furthermore, we don't need an 'Ivy league' in Canada, as to my opinion all are major universities are of excellent quality. This I can only support with personal interactions which I have had with students from Columbia, Harvard and some other institutions whom I met in Italy and who if amoung the top 10% of american children are not very impressesive. Yet I know that there are others who are undoubtedly of good quality, two of my cousins have attended Harvard and some of their friends are quite well educated.

What are you trying to get at? Some harvard kids are intelligent while some got in through family connection or parental donation or personal luck? we already know that. Same as some kids at Concordia are dumb, while others are smart.....

However, as my cousin has informed me at Harvard grade inflation is a common occurance....I have yet to see grade inflation at candian universities; however, there is by no means an improvement in morality by simply crossing the US/Canadian border northward.

It is easy to talk stuff from the outside and say how easy it is to get A's at Harvard when their mean GPA is probably 3.6. But unless you really go to Harvard, you cannot tell. I had a friend from highschool who went to UBC science and got 93+%. He cruised through UBC for two years and then transferred to Harvard where he majored in econ. Eventually, he only spent two years of tuition to get a Harvard degree (he obviously had scholarship from UBC to cover his first two years there). He had around 3.7-3.8 from Harvard, but that's hardly 4.0 which he had from UBC. So which place is tougher in terms of grading?

Finally, naturally if those that appllied to UBC also applied to Stanford 90% would not even get an interview, as they would be considered foreign applicants which would be an additional hurdle for them. My dear cousin, aforementionned, is at Stanford medical college as he ought to be.

So you agree with me that it is harder to get into Stanford med than UBC med?

I love my country very much and I would like very much to return there to practice, yet America (or an american off-shore school) has offered me an opportunity to follow my desire, there is no more to the matter than that.

All Canadians including me love Canada. But one needs to be a self-assured, confident Canadian and not the one who puts down another country while saying how great Canada is.

The average applicant at the University of British Columbia with an MCAT of ~10, ~11, Q, ~11 and a medical pre-requiste average of A- or roughly 3.5 still can't even get into a medical school where their grades were acheived with exams that require written answers and effort while in America your accepted with an average MCAT of 26.5 at certain institutions and your undergarduate eduaction is pathetic as evidenced by the product that resuts.... Furthermore, we don't need an 'Ivy league' in Canada, as to my opinion all are major universities are of excellent quality. This I can only support with personal interactions which I have had with students from Columbia, Harvard and some other institutions whom I met in Italy and who if amoung the top 10% of american children are not very impressesive.

Originally posted by dknykid1980
see the above post is exactly what i'm trying to get at.

Look at it skippy, its one of your own colleagues! I dont even know the guy so you can rest assure skippy that i didnt tell him to say that!

your constant calling skip intro by a name he has already indicatred he dislikes indicates how chilidish and immature you are. get a life. and dkny is for preppy, sissy boys with small penises.

1) It is a relevant question as it may indicate that you have been more fortunate to gain admission to an american medical institution than a canadian school where either different aspects of your application were weighed more heavily than others or that perhaps the overall standards required for matriculation were lower. Your input thererore would help to elucidate towards the facts.

Sorry, you are not getting the answer from me.

At least we agree that we definitely disagree on many issues.

Thus a combination of both means of evaluation would be preferred, certainly without the exclusion of a highschoolers class grades.

For your point number 3, it highlights the issue of non-standardization more.... Not only highschool, but technical college suffer the pitfall. From the beginning, I have mentioned the use of both grades (in the context of class rank) and "sat" equivalent. You actually agree with me... I said that grades can be subjective, but classrank + sat equivalent, that you cannot cheat.

4) I am meerily stating that our undergraduate education is more uniform in its quality amoungst the various institutions, while in America there appears to be a greater divide between the quality of the various institutions at the undergraduate level.

I thought somewhere you mentioned that in your humble opinion, harvard and columbia kids are sadly not that impressive (except your own cousins and his friends?!). So I guess your meaning of great divide is that MIT is on the good side while Harvard, Columbia, Ohio State, Emerson college are all on the bad side.

I never meant to use my friend as a statistical example. But at least I know someone personally who has been to both institutions and you don't. He was humbled at how smart kids at Harvard are. There is no such concentration of smart kids at UBC, period. Canadian universities are all pretty equal in terms of its high quality, but don't exaggerate it because getting 80% (3.7 average) at UBC and the like is not that hard. At UBC, science scholars are awarded only to those with 90+% (A+ average) and I don't hear people getting scholarships while maintaining 80% (A- average) at UBC. And there is a reason for that; there are too many of them alone in the 80-90% range.

7) Finally, as you are no doubt sir a self-assured and confident canadian who loves his country shall you be returning here to practice and aid our nation during these difficult times in our health care system?

You are getting ridiculous here. Not every thing about Canada I like nor I like everything about England (where I studied abroad at Oxford during my junior year), US (where I have spent the last 6-7 years of my life getting education), or the Asian country where I lived for the first 11 years of my life. I agree with the universality of medical care. However, I do not agree with Canadian government's attempt to limit specialty choices for Canadian medical graduates year after year where they try to look into a crystal ball and guess what specialty will have "shortage" in the future and allocate available residency slots. I do not agree with some of the laws that were attempted to be passed in BC that semi-force new graduates to practice outside of Vancouver. I do not agree with physicians going ON STRIKE in BC and othe provinces during this past year or so (you ever heard of American docs going on strike?).

Outside of medicine, I do not agree with Quebec's discriminatory law against having signs in any language (including English) whose characters or alphabets are bigger than those in French. Come on. Even in Chinatown, the chinese characters have to be smaller than French letters?! The list can go on and on....

Therefore, I will go through residency in the US where some of the residency programs (internal medicine, neurology, psychiatry, etc.) are shorter by one year than the counterparts offered in Canada. I will then earn my tuition back in US (not Canadian) dollars since I have been getting my higher education exclusively outside of Canada. Then I will decide with my family what I want to do later on, whether it be in Canada or the US.

And if everything with the word "Canada" excites you so much and you also want to devote yourself to everything Canadian, be sure to send me a postcard from Nunavut once you decide to spend the next 20 years of yourself giving that region its needed health care, infrastructure, education, etc. Until then, you are getting a little ridiculous in your last argument against me.

Mongoose-

"your constant calling skip intro by a name he has already indicatred he dislikes indicates how chilidish and immature you are. get a life. and dkny is for preppy, sissy boys with small penises."

talk about maturity. You are doing the same thing you accussed me off. So how mature are you having to resort to such language. It;s ok I understand you're probably venting all that regressed anger inside of you. were you one of those 'sissy boys with small penises" who was constantly made fun of. You know if you have a problem or are insecure about your size there are therapists you can go see.

In fact why dont you just go on VACATION to the caribbean, I'm sure our friend Skip can show you around. Definitely looks like you need a break.

LOL i agree!

These things are just getting waaay tooo long. Plus I give up. People like Skip and whoever else arent going to change the way they think, so what's the point.

Aight later...gotta go study.

:laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by dknykid1980
Mongoose-

"your constant calling skip intro by a name he has already indicatred he dislikes indicates how chilidish and immature you are. get a life. and dkny is for preppy, sissy boys with small penises."

talk about maturity. You are doing the same thing you accussed me off. So how mature are you having to resort to such language. It;s ok I understand you're probably venting all that regressed anger inside of you. were you one of those 'sissy boys with small penises" who was constantly made fun of. You know if you have a problem or are insecure about your size there are therapists you can go see.

In fact why dont you just go on VACATION to the caribbean, I'm sure our friend Skip can show you around. Definitely looks like you need a break.

just illustrating to you how incredibly useless it is to act in such a way. You obviously saw my point. You can thank me anytime.

WELL...

Why not play a more AMERICAN game...football. Forget both foreign med schools and foreign sports, let's do it how we do it in the good ol' US of A.

:laugh: :clap:

Originally posted by Thewonderer

Rugby is not that popular at Oxford. Rowing is what everyone talks about and many colleges have 2-3 teams that compete on the river. Oriel dominates men's field while Green is always at the top for women (I think Oriel sucks though.....).

Sacrilege!! Especially after England beat both the Australians AND the All Blacks? *gasp* hehe :) As a person who does both rowing and rugby, gotta support both !

yeah, rowing's the thing on the two campuses. But Cambridge is gonna beat Oxford this year :) Go Light Blues! :) :clap:

I'm a 2nd year DO student, and i'm not going to condone going DO or SGU. its a personal decision, because like Diogenes said, our opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. I can only speak of my opinions, and experiences.

I am perfectly happy with being a DO. My dad is actually an MD and whole heartedly supports my decision to become a DO. He's been in practice for over 15 years, and he doesn't wake up every morning thanking God he's an MD. When most people are impressed that he's a doctor, because he looks relatively still young, he just shrugs his shoulders and says it no big deal. He's very humble, and i have learn much from him. And i do get offended sometimes when many students generalize US MD's as arrogant, because my dad is one of the most humble/ compassionate doctors i have ever met, and his patients love him. Compassion is a individual thing, not limited to US MD/DO or caribbean. In the real world medicine, this whole MD/DO after your name, or being a caribbean graduate really becomes a non-issue.

My opinion is that if you have what it takes to obtain a residency in America, you are qualified to be a physician. You've taken all the exams, jumped the hurdles, and i could care less whether you graduated from Harvard, DO, SGU, Ross or anywhere in between. Take care of your patients the best way you know how, strive to become the best doctor you can be, then worry about what everyone thinks about you.

By the way, PLEASE stop this mud slinging on both sides. We are all future physicians and colleagues. I would fear any patient browsing these boards and seeing some of the things posted on here by future doctors.

By the way, I read earlier that DO is an adequate alternative. Thats true for many, but for many DO's it was their first choice. Take care.

You read True Blue??? ****GAG***** of all the cheesy rowing movies out there.... But it was a true incident that happened. I think there's a book on the whole affair by an American author, but I haven't read it. Of course the darks are ahead, the poll always goes to the team that won before. www.theboatrace.org does an absolutely brilliant web broadcast, though, and very good commentary. But that's only useful if you're in an area where they don't televise the boat race (damn Fox Sports).

Anyway, glad you read up :) Was great stuff last year, with one of the Lights nearly passing out during the race. This is the year they get it back though :). But I'm biased towards Cambridge. One of my best friends is the physio for the Cambridge rowers.