DO vs. IMG (FMG)????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cp00739

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi...what you guys think is a better route:
go to a DO school in the states or go abroad for an MD

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

:) DO...my 4 years abroad were wonderful and I am glad I did it, but you really should do some of your rotations here in the states(and make sure the school you select allows that)so you can get good Letters of Recommendations(LORs)and make sure you rank high in your class and Ace that Step I(my school, and I hear from talking to other IMgs', did not teach to past this exam, so you either take a review course back here in the states,I took the Kaplan at $2700. and was not impressed, bad timing as they had just bought out the other training school and were in a transition phrase, may be better now)also you are required to take two other additional exams, the Toefl(english exam) and the Clinical Skills Assesement, CSA ,(although AMGs will be required to sit for this exam in the year 2004 as well)Cost: $1200USdollars and is only given in Phila.

Of course the Match is next week so I can't say how I did on the interviews, but I did get 3 in surgery and 1 in IM, and I was told it was because of my LOR(I had one from Harvard) and because I ranked #1 in my class. So we'll see.

Hope this helps. At least you have one side of it. Maybe someone else could help you on the DO side.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd definitely go D.O. I know everyone says that once you're in residency nobody cares about what school you went to, even if its overseas. And that having an M.D. behind your name is all that matters. But if you look at it practically, what difference does it make if you never get into a residency. As a US grad, MD or DO its just easier to get a residency. If you go the IMG route, you have to work your butt off to be near the top if you want to get a residency. If you don't think you can do that, then stay in the states.