DO vs MD match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eveve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker. First time poster. I'm a DO student from an old school in the midwest and am applying EM this year. Applied to AOA and ACGME programs. Currently deciding whether or not to go through with the AOA match since rank lists are due next week.

I'm an average student. USMLE 1 in the 210's, USMLE 2 in the 250's, passed the PE first attempt. No red flags except the low step 1. One good SLOE.

I have 7 MD ranks, and 10 DO. If I were to rank all my programs on one list, all the MD programs would be at the top, followed by the DO programs. I'm hesitant to drop the DO match because of numbers (only 7) but I would hate to miss out on a chance to go to my dream program (mid tier MD) because of the AOA match. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

I had 7 in the acgme match in 2014 as a DO and matched. I personally know a few who matched with less.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a DO in a similar predicament (with 7 ACGME interviews too), but right now I'm leaning towards going through with the AOA match as for me even a 10% chance of not matching is way too much of a risk... :(

Reactions: 1 users
Long time lurker. First time poster. I'm a DO student from an old school in the midwest and am applying EM this year. Applied to AOA and ACGME programs. Currently deciding whether or not to go through with the AOA match since rank lists are due next week.

I'm an average student. USMLE 1 in the 210's, USMLE 2 in the 250's, passed the PE first attempt. No red flags except the low step 1. One good SLOE.

I have 7 MD ranks, and 10 DO. If I were to rank all my programs on one list, all the MD programs would be at the top, followed by the DO programs. I'm hesitant to drop the DO match because of numbers (only 7) but I would hate to miss out on a chance to go to my dream program (mid tier MD) because of the AOA match. Thanks all.

Agree with gutonc. I feel for you because this is a crappy spot to be in. For anyone who is skeptical of the merger, you are a great example of the kind of person who will benefit most from a single match process.

Another way to look how programs will view your app is this: a total of 17 programs extended an invite to you, so that implies some level of competitiveness that is greater than someone who had gotten only 7 invites, total. Without knowing the rest of your application and the mix of programs you applied to, I would wager that if you had focused on only the ACGME match, you would have had more than the 7 you have now. All this to say, if I were you, I would roll the dice if I would rather not match than go to the top 3 AOA programs on your list.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
The only real data available to help you (in what is largely an emotional decision) is Charting outcomes in the Match (DO 2016).

7 contiguous EM ranks gives you an 80% chance of matching.

Only you can decide if those numbers are good enough for you.

I was looking for this document! I knew it existed. Thanks! It's a much more emotional decision than I thought it would be. I think I've stopped being rational when I think about it.

I'm a DO in a similar predicament (with 7 ACGME interviews too), but right now I'm leaning towards going through with the AOA match as for me even a 10% chance of not matching is way too much of a risk... :(

I think if I had 1-2 more to rank then I would have no problem dropping out of the DO match. But 80%...I'm still deciding. You always hear about that person who matches at #10

I was looking for this document! I knew it existed. Thanks! It's a much more emotional decision than I thought it would be. I think I've stopped being rational when I think about it.

I think if I had 1-2 more to rank then I would have no problem dropping out of the DO match. But 80%...I'm still deciding. You always hear about that person who matches at #10

The important question is: what do you and that person have in common?

Most of the folks I know that ranked in that range had reasons for not being ranked to match at their top 3 choices. It isn't like some individual is chosen at random to match at the bottom half of their list. These folks are usually competitive enough to get interviews but then either are universally "meh" that 9 programs put them low on the list or there is an some sort of issue that reveals itself in the SLOE (often the same issues).

Anecdotally I don't know anyone last year that matched past 7, but I know a few that scrambled with only 5 EM interviews. Also need to ask what quality of DO programs. Certainly they will all be acgme accredited but there is a lot of difference in quality between the top and bottom programs. If you rank the best DO programs on your list, especially if you are happy there, and the MD programs you will match somewhere.

My only addition to what most of the other people have said is did you do an away at a ACGME program? If so, this may increase your odds at ACGME match (especially with a SLOE from an ACMGE program), if not, I think you are likely to fall into that category of having a significant chance of not matching (30-20%).

My only addition to what most of the other people have said is did you do an away at a ACGME program? If so, this may increase your odds at ACGME match (especially with a SLOE from an ACMGE program), if not, I think you are likely to fall into that category of having a significant chance of not matching (30-20%).

Agreed. If you got a good SLOE from an ACGME program and show a lot of interest, you have a decent shot of matching there. 7 interviews ain't much, but being able to put a face to a name goes far and if they liked you enough to give you a good evaluation there's a good chance they'll rank you highly enough to match.

You should calculate the costs of being AOA board certified versus ABEM board certified. AOA requires not only board dues, but AOA membership dues, plus getting AOA CME that cannot be obtained online. Adds up to some crazy costs and inconvenience.

ABEM 10 year recertification costs

LLSA 8 x $100 = $800

Concert Exam $1850

Total: $2650

---

AOBEM 10 year recertification cycle costs

First year AOA dues $171

Second year AOA dues $341

Third year AOA dues $513

Fourth to tenth year AOA dues $683 x 7 = $4781

COLA $105 x 8 = $840

Cog Assessment Exam $800

Total: $7446

Last edited:
You should calculate the costs of being AOA board certified versus ABEM board certified. AOA requires not only board dues, but AOA membership dues, plus getting AOA CME that cannot be obtained online. Adds up to some crazy costs and inconvenience.

ABEM 10 year recertification costs

LLSA 8 x $100 = $800

Concert Exam $1850

Total: $2650

---

AOBEM 10 year recertification cycle costs

First year AOA dues $171

Second year AOA dues $341

Third year AOA dues $513

Fourth to tenth year AOA dues $683 x 7 = $4781

COLA $105 x 8 = $840

Cog Assessment Exam $800

Total: $7446

Yeah but you have to take into chance of even paying those recertification fees in the first place

Agreed. If you got a good SLOE from an ACGME program and show a lot of interest, you have a decent shot of matching there. 7 interviews ain't much, but being able to put a face to a name goes far and if they liked you enough to give you a good evaluation there's a good chance they'll rank you highly enough to match.

I do have a sloe from an acgme program that I'm planning on ranking #2, I think it's good? I have no clue what it actually says but I have heard positive things on interviews

I do have a sloe from an acgme program that I'm planning on ranking #2, I think it's good? I have no clue what it actually says but I have heard positive things on interviews
Do you remember what grade you got? if you got honors then you're probably good to go