Do we need to know solubility rules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avery07

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For precipitate reactions, do we need to know the solubility rules or at least have a general idea of what is and what isn't soluble?

I would think this is too specific but I want to be sure. I would think if we were presented a precipitate reaction type question, it would ask us to indicate the precipitate reaction from 4 chemical equations. Obviously we would pick the one with the solid product so long as the ions which match up were correct.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the dat, but I was going to memorize them. There are questions in the destroyer about this right?

Anyway if you have to memorize the VSEPR angles and names, I would think you have to memorize the solubility rules too. As well as naming etc.

ABSOLUTELY... You will more than likely encounter at least one question that has something to do with solubility.

Members don't see this ad :)
ABSOLUTELY... You will more than likely encounter at least one question that has something to do with solubility.

You guys do realize I'm talking about memorizing this little gem:

solubilityrules.gif

I can look at a reaction and tell you what kind it is (redox, acid-base, precipitation, neutralization, etc.) but I think asking us to know what precipitates and all those special exceptions.. is a little much. But if they want it than so be it.

You guys do realize I'm talking about memorizing this little gem:

solubilityrules.gif

I can look at a reaction and tell you what kind it is (redox, acid-base, precipitation, neutralization, etc.) but I think asking us to know what precipitates and all those special exceptions.. is a little much. But if they want it than so be it.

Yes, I was aware of what you were talking about. It does not seem like it is too much to memorize. When I took ap chemistry we had to memorize it.

Yes, I was aware of what you were talking about. It does not seem like it is too much to memorize. When I took ap chemistry we had to memorize it.

I'm sorry for your AP class then. The basic rules aren't bad but all those exceptions are killer. Like you said though, it's probably not too bad to memorize so I'll quit complaining and get to memorizing.