DO with no interest in research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zNoodlez

Handmade Noodle
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an incoming DO student c/o 2024. I have little to no interest in doing much research during my upcoming years in medical school, so my question is, what field can I realistically be competitive/have a chance for without any research/publications? I am currently interested in IM and Neurology but things might change later down the line. Any insights will be greatly appreciated :).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IM and neurology should be doable without research, but you're mostly gonna be stuck with community programs and NOT University/academic or even some communiversity ones. Keep in mind that some community programs are still competitive depending on the location and/or presence of in-house fellowships, so research may or may not be a factor for them too. If you're looking to subspecialize in IM, I'd advise to do at least some research. If not, then you should be fine.

Other fields where research is not a big requirement: FM, Peds, EM, Anesthesiology, PM&R, Path, and maybe also Psych and DR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Have you tried clinical research? It’s very different from bench research, and might be more appealing to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried clinical research? It’s very different from bench research, and might be more appealing to you.

I agree, see if you can find some clinical research with that you can get into.

The issue is while you don't NEED research per se, it certainly helps. Especially if it's almost expected to see some research on your CV in an ever growing competitive field with lessening emphasis on scores you need something to help you stand out, let alone not having something everyone else has on their CV as well.

don't do any research but still tell people you're gunning for derm

• Haha
I definitely will try if an opportunity comes up. I am merely assuming the worst-case scenario where I can barely keep up with the school work and have little to no time for research.

I definitely will try if an opportunity comes up. I am merely assuming the worst-case scenario where I can barely keep up with the school work and have little to no time for research.

You can always use the summer between M1/M2 to do research. Clinical research can be as simple as chart reviews, where you pull data from medical charts and compile it for analysis. Our school also offers anatomy research electives during the summer, where you can do many things (examples from my school include ultrasound scanning cadavers for patent foramen ovale, doing prosections, etc). There's public health research, wellness research, etc...most of which can be conducted over a summer break, or part of one. That's what I plan to do during the summer, because I'm a nontrad with a family so my time during the academic year is limited.

Is it hard to find clinical research opportunities if you have no research experience whatsoever? Or does it depend on your school/location

Is it hard to find clinical research opportunities if you have no research experience whatsoever? Or does it depend on your school/location
Depends on the project. Case report or retro? Easy as long as you know how to use basic excel. Prospective stuff a little more involved. Very rarely do med students work with clinical trials. Meta analysis you can do as long as you're decent with literature searches.

IM and neurology should be doable without research, but you're mostly gonna be stuck with community programs and NOT University/academic or even some communiversity ones. Keep in mind that some community programs are still competitive depending on the location and/or presence of in-house fellowships, so research may or may not be a factor for them too. If you're looking to subspecialize in IM, I'd advise to do at least some research. If not, then you should be fine.

Other fields where research is not a big requirement: FM, Peds, EM, Anesthesiology, PM&R, Path, and maybe also Psych and DR.

You don’t need research for academic neuro. I also know many people that have matched academic IM with zero research.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for all of your inputs. My point would be that if I can get away with no research and still match competitively into IM or Neuro I would.

Your priority is to pass your classes. When you're in your 3rd year and have some breathing room feel free to do a project or two. Not a big deal.

Either way in IM or Neuro you'll need to do some researching. Especially if you want to do a fellowship.

• Hmm
Your priority is to pass your classes. When you're in your 3rd year and have some breathing room feel free to do a project or two. Not a big deal.

Either way in IM or Neuro you'll need to do some researching. Especially if you want to do a fellowship.
When you say breathing room, do you mean ask around for research opportunities during core rotations? I imagine 3rd years usually are already busy studying and rotating and won’t have time for research. If that’s the case, is a research rotation block necessary?

I want to know if waiting until 3rd year to do research would be “too late”. Of course first Year should focus on passing classes and stay sane

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say breathing room, do you mean ask around for research opportunities during core rotations? I imagine 3rd years usually are already busy studying and rotating and won’t have time for research. If that’s the case, is a research rotation block necessary?

I want to know if waiting until 3rd year to do research would be “too late”. Of course first Year should focus on passing classes and stay sane

3rd year is honestly different from year 1-2. Many rotations won't have tests and studying for rotations may include watching videos for 1-2 hours and reading for an hour. Most of my rotations were 7am to 5pm, with a few that were 8 to 3pm. Even with studying and having a day off once a week, I didn't struggle to find time to get some projects done with the residents on service.

You could always do a case report and pass that off as "slight research".
I think my school makes us do research 4th year so we'll have something to show.
But next year as an OMS3 I def plan to try and get some research going.

The business of core rotations will depend largely on how you pick your electives.

If you wait into a research month in 3rd year, you will need to start looking around for a project before that month starts because many will require and application and description of the project before it gets approved.

You need to start asking around asap, there are a lot of hoops and if you wait, everything gets delayed into oblivion and you'lll be scrambling into 4th year to get a project done while also trying to get apps done for residency.

Will no research kill my chances with IM programs in the West Coast?

Will no research kill my chances with IM programs in the West Coast?

Doubt it, especially for most smaller community programs out there so as long as the rest of your application is strong.

You also have to remember that the west coast, no matter what program, is a buyers market, and that competition is pretty fierce just to land an interview. Take that however you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the project. Case report or retro? Easy as long as you know how to use basic excel. Prospective stuff a little more involved. Very rarely do med students work with clinical trials. Meta analysis you can do as long as you're decent with literature searches.

did you mean a literature review? Those can easily be done with just literature searches.

I highly doubt a med student with no research or statistics experience could pull off a meta analysis.

did you mean a literature review? Those can easily be done with just literature searches.

I highly doubt a med student with no research or statistics experience could pull off a meta analysis.

Guess I could’ve been a bit more descriptive, a Med student would be doing the lit review of a meta analysis and def nothing in the way of the subsequent data crunching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to do research if you are thinking about going into IM ....or Neuro - unless you want to go to a Top-20 program. If you do not want to go to a top program, there are plenty of choices. you will not need to have publications. They help. But not necessary.

No need to do research if you are thinking about going into IM ....or Neuro - unless you want to go to a Top-20 program. If you do not want to go to a top program, there are plenty of choices. you will not need to have publications. They help. But not necessary.

Don’t confuse “top 20” with “desirable.”

IM, neuro, and plenty of other fields get pretty competitive well before you reach the top 20.

You'll be fine. Just do well on the boards and audition. I know plenty of people who didn't have any research during DO school and still matched good mid-tier university IM programs. Does it help? Yes, mostly as talking points during interviews. Is the lack it of going to hinder your chances? Very unlikely

You'll be fine. Just do well on the boards and audition. I know plenty of people who didn't have any research during DO school and still matched good mid-tier university IM programs. Does it help? Yes, mostly as talking points during interviews. Is the lack it of going to hinder your chances? Very unlikely
I am concerned about the fact that Step 1 will most likely be going P/F will change too much of the game for DOs.