Where to start as a MS2 with no research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolwithb

Reaction score
Hi, I just started my second year, and I have no research experience.
Now that boards are pass/fail, I want to get involved in research to increase my chance to match into better programs.
I want to go into Anesthesia or EM, but I'm still open to other fields.
My first year GPA was 3.8, so I think that puts me at top 25-40% (didn't get spring rank yet.)
Just little above average

Research is something I don't love to do it, but I feel like I should do it.
And I have no idea where to start. I talked to my advisor and read some posts here.

I guess the general census is that don't do lab research, do clinical research or case reports.
I honestly don't even know what that means lol...

Do I just contact residents and ask what I should do to help or do they expect me to know what to do?
I'm ready to work hard but I wouldn't know what to do.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is that EM is not competitive especially with last year's unfilled residency spots.

Anesthesia doesn't really have a research requirement tbw but with increasing competitiveness over time, I probably would start trying to find research (which can be anything).

Contacting resident is a good way; also try to see if your family can provide with connections. I got my summer research thru my mother's cousin who apparently had some kind of dance class with a professor at a hospital I was interested in for residency.

Does your DO school have residents? It will be extremely low yield to just contact residents at random schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Try and get in contact with your research department at your school. Either that or look for current 3rd and 4th years, they may have greater insight.