DO without experience?

Started by tiffsatt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tiffsatt

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible to be accepted to a DO school without having DO experience on my application? I apply this summer and I am very set on DO and not MD but I don't have any background. Will this hurt my chances of being accepted. I know DO schools look for strong committment to the osteopathic profession, and I have the committment, but not the experience. Any advice would be greatly apprecitated.
Thanks
 
tiffsatt-

All the admissions counselors I have spoken to say that you don't need to have D.O. "experience", but they want to make sure you know what Osteopathic Medicine IS.
There are quite a few books out there to give you a background or idea on Osteopathic Medicine. One great book is "The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America", by Norman Gevitz.

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 05-04-2000).]
 
You don't have to have experience. It IS important, however, to get a letter of recommendation from an osteopath. A freiend of mine gave me the names of some osteopaths. I called them up, went to talk with them, ask them questions about osteopathy. Got a letter of recommendation from one. It's important that you demonstarte by your actions that you've explored the topic enought to talk with DO's and get a letter. Most DO's will be willing to help you out.