DO Yield protection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

test123123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a Canadian who plans to apply to USMD and DO schools this coming cycle and I am getting worried as I read more about yield protection. I am aiming for Canadian friendly low/mid-tier MD schools and DO schools with relatively high stats. cGPA 3.90, sGPA 3.93 and MCAT 519. Another issue is that I rewrote the MCAT once (my first score was 517 --> 519) so I'm concerned that this could hurt me as well. Does anyone have insight into how this would look to a DO adcom?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, sorry if this comes across as a humblebrag thread; it really isn't. My situation is a bit dire in Canada and I am looking at exploring all avenues for medicine in the US!

Why are you applying to DO schools? My suggestion is not to give the osteopathic organizations any money and just apply MD only. You should also apply to top MD schools, as you are more than likely to get interviews from some of them. Nothing in your application is going to look negatively to MD schools.

My MCAT was around yours. Wish my GPA was, too. You don't even need to speak about DO applications from this point forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you applying to DO schools? My suggestion is not to give the osteopathic organizations any money and just apply MD only. You should also apply to top MD schools, as you are more than likely to get interviews from some of them. Nothing in your application is going to look negatively to MD schools.

My MCAT was around yours. Wish my GPA was, too. You don't even need to speak about DO applications from this point forward.

As a Canadian applicant, I thought it would be wise to apply to DO's as a backup as I do not want to spend more time reapplying (I've already applied to two cycles in Canada with no luck).

Hi all, I am a Canadian who plans to apply to USMD and DO schools this coming cycle and I am getting worried as I read more about yield protection. I am aiming for Canadian friendly low/mid-tier MD schools and DO schools with relatively high stats. cGPA 3.90, sGPA 3.93 and MCAT 519. Another issue is that I rewrote the MCAT once (my first score was 517 --> 519) so I'm concerned that this could hurt me as well. Does anyone have insight into how this would look to a DO adcom?
Is Canada that competitive that the awesome stats won’t get you in?

Is Canada that competitive that the awesome stats won’t get you in?

Yes. Look at the Canadian medical school matriculant stats. Each school over there is like the same as the top 10 US MD schools. It's pretty insane.

As a Canadian applicant, I thought it would be wise to apply to DO's as a backup as I do not want to spend more time reapplying (I've already applied to two cycles in Canada with no luck).

No, you absolutely do not have to apply to any DO schools. You've worked hard for a great GPA and MCAT. I'd hate to see someone with your stats end up at a DO school. Apply broadly to US MD that have a history of Canadian matriculants, including top tier schools. Try a couple of times if you need to (you won't need it, I guarantee you that) before ever thinking about DO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
We do not do research protection [the accurate term] at my school. We have and do interview high stat candidates.

Thus, apply to the 14ish schools that take Canadians, starting with UNECOM and MSUCOM.

Can you practice in Canada as a DO? I'm embarrassed I dont know the answer. My gut feeling is no, but only OMT, like in the UK.
EDIT ..I just checked, you can practice in Canada as a DO.

I don't understand why you go on every thread with anti DO agenda. It is weird

Apply to DOs as well. Reapplying is horrible. All Sabs does is spew Anti DO nonsense in every thread, comment.

Apply to DOs as well. Reapplying is horrible. All Sabs does is spew Anti DO nonsense in every thread, comment.

I definitely will be applying. Absolutely nothing wrong with a DO acceptance, I would be ecstatic!

Reactions: 1 users
Can you practice in Canada as a DO? I'm embarrassed I dont know the answer. My gut feeling is no, but only OMT, like in the UK.
EDIT ..I just checked, you can practice in Canada as a DO.

You can practice in the UK as a DO as well, just not Ireland. That's been the case since 2005. For Canada, it was previously province specific, but its been unlimited now throughout the country since I think 2014, if I'm remembering right.

Reactions: 1 user