Do you call your bf/gf everyday while you're in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you talk to your bf/gf everday while in med school?

• yes, every single day

Votes: 82 78.8%
  • no, just every other day

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • no, just a couple times a week

Votes: 13 12.5%

• Total voters

go1981

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I talk to my gf about 3-4 times a week. Am I weird for not calling my girlfriend everyday because of trying to juggle med school? Or am I just making excuses and I really should have no excuse not to call my girlfriend everyday? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Am I weird for not calling my girlfriend everyday because of trying to juggle med school? Or am I just making excuses and I really should have no excuse not to call my girlfriend everyday? What do you guys think?

I think if you don't want to call your girlfriend every day then you shouldn't feel like you need to. However, I don't think med school is a good excuse not to call her every day. (Unless calling her means you have to talk more than 30 minutes because she's that kind of gal)
We all make time to do what we value. This is no different.
(I didn't vote because I'm married)

My husband and I had a long distance relationship for most of the time we knew eachother before we got married. We didn't talk on the phone everyday. We did spend a lot of time chatting on MSN messenger though.

Granted I am not yet in med school - will be starting in august - but knowing my gf and our relationship, im sure i will be calling everyday. Im aware of the incredible time commitment that med school imposes, but even if its for half an hour just before sleep or whatever, I really can't imagine not calling her everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the best with what you have to work with. When I realized that classes and exams were picking up and it was getting nearer to crunch time, I would take my small webcam to the library and we'd both just study together online. Seeing their face makes a big difference sometimes, even if you're both busy and not talking.

I'm taking the easy route, going in single. Solves that problem!

haha you should add another option: talk several times everyday...i'm sure thats going to be me...

I talk to my gf about 3-4 times a week. Am I weird for not calling my girlfriend everyday because of trying to juggle med school? Or am I just making excuses and I really should have no excuse not to call my girlfriend everyday? What do you guys think?
Dude. I don't call my HUSBAND every single day! We talk, or IM, or email-but we know that with our schedules we won't be able to talk every day (and talk about the fees!) but we're a happy couple nonetheless.

My fiance and I talk many times each day. When we wake up, when one of us is walking to class, when something cool happens, when we need advice on what to buy at the grocery store/what to have for dinner/etc, after we watch one of our TV shows, before we go to sleep, and all sorts of other random times throughout the day. :oops:

We've been best friends since before we started dating, and have been together for a REALLY long time, so spending a year apart has been pretty hard. Talking frequently makes it easier.

Really, though, you should call her as often as you want to. If you don't want to call every day, don't. If you do, then do it. Med school is time consuming, but it's not that time consuming.

I talk to my boyfriend just about every day. Our deal is that we'll at least touch base, even if we don't have time to talk- i.e. if he's on call (he's an intern) and it's super busy, he'll call me for 30 seconds to tell me that. Talking every day doesn't have to mean you spend hours on the phone or that it cuts into your schoolwork.

I talk to my boyfriend just about every day. Our deal is that we'll at least touch base, even if we don't have time to talk- i.e. if he's on call (he's an intern) and it's super busy, he'll call me for 30 seconds to tell me that. Talking every day doesn't have to mean you spend hours on the phone or that it cuts into your schoolwork.

True. Just an ackowledgement or a "Good morning, I hope your day goes well, love you, bye," is nice.

I see my bf almost everyday, talk to him on the phone constantly during the day. I'm not in med school yet but I can't really imagine myself not talk to him everyday.

You're a whipped puppy aren't you. Call when you can, don't call when you can't. Not that hard. She should know about the hardships of med school ...

I see my bf almost everyday, talk to him on the phone constantly during the day. I'm not in med school yet but I can't really imagine myself not talk to him everyday.

There are a lot of things I couldnt imagine doing before medical school, but here I am.

But seriously, there are times(for me at least) when calling to talk for 30 min-an hour just isnt possible. When its crunch time, you are either going to be cutting into study or sleep time. Neither of which I can afford to do. I call whenever a get a chance to, and thats not every day.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of connversation do you guys have past 10 minutes on the phone. You mean there are people that talk for 30 minutes or more on the phone with their gf?

I agree with this...I'm not sure why people seem to think that calling your significant other means talking for a long time. I'm not in medical school yet but my boyfriend's schedule this semester sometimes has him doing work constantly with no breaks throughout the day. On those days, he will call me to say hi and our conversation lasts less than a minute. We'll say goodnight to each other. I don't need long conversations, but I want to hear his voice once a day and I don't think there's really any reason to not be able to call just to say hi.

For me personally, talking everyday (no matter how briefly) is what has kept our 4 year long distance relationship going and it's not something I'm willing to sacrifice.

Talk to my gf just about every day.

And yes, I suppose she's got me good and whipped.

well darn....between med school and my wife, i only have time to talk to my gf couple of times a week.

well darn....between med school and my wife, i only have time to talk to my gf couple of times a week.

lol... you should make more time for you gf. she will feel lonely :love: :D

I call my wife every day, usually right after class around noon. Conversations are rarely more than a few minutes. Just checking in.

I spend between 30-45 minutes on the phone with my gf each night and don't have any issues with time. I can't imagine not doing that - she's my best friend and has been for years. Being at the end of my first year, I can honestly say that even in finals time I can still spend that much time on the phone. It's all about what you want to put your time into - sure, maybe I can't spend 1.5 hours in the gym each day (some people do), but 45 minutes on the phone and a 45 minute run leaves me both happier and healthy :D

Honestly - I know some people go into hard-core mode for exams, but the rest of the time first and second year are not that time intensive.

Honestly - I know some people go into hard-core mode for exams, but the rest of the time first and second year are not that time intensive.
After that last set of quizzes, med school just got a lot more time consuming for many of your classmates.

I usually talk to my girlfriend about 2 times a day. The first time is when she's on her way home from work, and she knows I'm studying so it's a quick "hi, how are you, i love you, bye" conversation. We spend about 10 minutes on the phone at night before I go to bed.

It's all about prioritizing. If you want to talk to her a lot, you will, if you don't, you won't. Also note that how often you talk to each other isn't necessarily an indicator of how good your relationship is. As long as both of you are happy, then you're okay.

I don't understand why anyone could not possibly afford to dedicate 5 minutes in one day to call their significant other and say "Hi, how are you? Good, me too. Hey Im busy just wanted to say I love you...talk to you later..." seriously, come on, that takes, what, two minutes maybe? Med school is not SO busy that it serves as a get out of life free card....come on. If you are in a long-distance relationship this is especially important. I went long-distance for five months with a previous gf and honestly the only thing that kept us going was daily contact. She was studying abroad in paris and I was real down about being alone and studying for the mcat at the same time. Since calling cost too much, we emailed each other every day (like 1-3 pages worth) and sent pics back and forth. I would dedicate an hour every morning before starting my studying to reading hers and sending mine. If you are not long distance though, you can cut some corners because you can see each other after class anyway. But a two minute call can't possibly be too much to ask for. But that's just my opinion. There's no reason to go a whole day without calling unless you want to.

my girlfriend lives a 6-hr plane flight away

we keep in contact every day (whether its email, instant messaging, phone)

usually we email each other once a day then talk on instant message for about an hour at night (via webcam).

phone is utilized every few days as it can be expensive.

its going great and does not get in the way of my work.

I live with my wife, and did for 18 months of medical school, and didn't talk to her every day.

I talk to my wife every day.

Depending on what I did though, she may not talk to me for a couple days at a time. :D

Once you communicate everyday or so that's good...Phone, instant messenger, text message.

Lets the other person know yah still thinking of them:D
Medical school is hard, but it isn't an excuse not to take 5-10 minutes to pickup a phone..You spend more than that taking a ****

Med school is not so busy that you cannot take a few minutes to do the things that mean something to you. I talk to my girlfriend 3-4 times a day: 1 longer conversation (30-45 minutes) and a couple of really short ones (good morning; hey i just found out [fill in the blank]). On days before exams, we might cut it to one 20 minute conversation.

Just talk to your SO while on the pooper. It's that simple. That should be at least 2 conversations a day. Some days three.

Damn...you go 2-3 times a day? What special fiber-rich diet are you on?

I call most days...but there's really only so much to talk about,

A Typical Conversation:
Me: How was your day?
Her: Good, studied for XXXX law classes. How was yours?
Me: Good, studied for Neuro and Behavioral...
Her:sweet...
Me:yeah...
Her:yep...catch the sox game?
Me: Yep, pretty good game, but I studied through most of it.
Her: sucks...
--awkward silence where we both search for something good to say but cant find anything worth while--
Me: Ok, well I guess I'll let you get to bed
Her: Ok. nighty night.
Me: Night

Grad school + distance can suck the magic out of most relationships. It's much better in person anyway