Do you engage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akuko2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, when someone you know on social media posts something very ignorant in regards to medicine, do you try to engage in conversation or just ignore it?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, when someone you know on social media posts something very ignorant in regards to medicine, do you try to engage in conversation or just ignore it?
Ignore. Gotta pick your battles... Usually not worth the hassle or real possibility of coming off as confrontational.

Reactions: 5 users

Ignore it or else 5 hours later you’ll have typed an essay that spans the length of your screen that serves no value to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on who it is. If it's one of my best friends or family then I engage because I know those people actually trust that I know what I'm talking about. If it's a FB "friend" or just something that pops up on my feed because someone I know comments, ignore.

Reactions: 2 users
ignore. online arguments lead to nothing.

Reactions: 1 users

No. *****s get in their own way. Also, I end up hearing racist slurs one way or another. As Bill Burr says, internet humans can be pigs. Knowledge is democratized, plenty of non medical people can argue, sometimes more effectively, for vaccines, for public funding of science etc.

I'll stick to educating who I take care of.

Reactions: 1 user
Ignore. My mom used to say, "don't wrestle with a pig. You'll get dirty, and the pig will enjoy it."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Reactions: 4 users
No one else thought star trek with this?
Make it so number 1

Lol.
I gave up Facebook years ago because of this stuff and life has been great. It's all a waste of your time, honestly. You won't likely change their opinion and they won't change yours. Agree with orthotrauma up there as well...
People like getting rises out of others.
Let it be

Reactions: 3 users
How would y'all react in this situation? Yesterday, before I posted this, I went to a new cafe and an acquaintance happened to be working behind the counter. I asked for aspartame and she says, "You are going to be a doctor you should know better than to eat that poison!" loud enough for everyone behind me to hear. I didn't really know how to react because it was kind of a lose-lose situation, but I just kind of said 'The research I have read doesn't scare me, have a great day!"

I don't anymore.

It's like arguing about URM preferences on SDN. No matter how much data someone throws around about it, no one in the discussion will ever change their mind. I don't do that anymore either.

There's a lot of crazy stuff out there about my specialty, and I just roll with it. If they explicitly ask me, I say that I only practice what I've learned in the mainstream of medicine, that what they're saying doesn't jive with that, but I'm not their doctor.

Reactions: 2 users
How would y'all react in this situation? Yesterday, before I posted this, I went to a new cafe and an acquaintance happened to be working behind the counter. I asked for aspartame and she says, "You are going to be a doctor you should know better than to eat that poison!" loud enough for everyone behind me to hear. I didn't really know how to react because it was kind of a lose-lose situation, but I just kind of said 'The research I have read doesn't scare me, have a great day!"
"Well actually, aspartame, as a methyl ester of aspartate and phenylalanine, is perfectly safe with its quick hydrolysis in the small intestine in a 4:5:1 ratio of aspartate, phenylalanine, and methanol, you scrub! So it's really just amino acids! You would know if you had taken organic chemistry like the rest of us pre-meds! Loser!! Get a real job! :banana:"
... Naw, I'd just shrug and thank them for the coffee. Kind of an uncalled for comment on their part, though, as someone in the service industry. Seems a bit confrontational.

Members don't see this ad :)
I argued with a former classmate that's now in chiropractic school and it worked out. I feel like future healthcare providers shouldn't post verifiable B.S.

The amount of energy it takes to dispel bullsh*t is many orders of magnitude greater than it is to create it. I'm not sure if that sentence makes sense but it sounds right in my head. Cheers.

Reactions: 3 users
This would make for a great interview questions!

This would make for a great interview questions!

Its all yours, royalty free if you update me on how someone answers. lol

Why spend all your time arguing against food elimination diets as a cure-all and the amount of aluminum in vaccines when you could just lol and move along.

duty_calls.png

Reactions: 5 users
I admit that I have on occasion engaged, but only when something is egregiously wrong and I can refute it with little effort. I don't bother with more innocuous stuff unless it is a friend who I think will listen to reason and trying to save them from wasting money or something.

This is me. I use my Facebook time just to argue with anti-vaxxers and about various political ideations. I get enjoyment out of it, I find it therapeutic if I’ve had a long day :rofl:

Last edited:
Nah most people aren't interested in learning, they just want to be right.

Google the backfire effect and realize why it’s worthless trying to tell anyone anything about anything.

Then take a moment and think about how the backfire effect may only be well documented because the researchers originally studying it wanted to prove that it exists in the first place.

*head explodes *

..find it therapeutic if I’ve had a long day

JAMA this past year July 11 published an article on the benefits to physicians for sharing their stories. It argued that it was therapeutic for physicians to engage in story telling with their peers although the setting was real time group settings and physician narratives in published medical journals

Stories Doctors Tell | Humanities | JAMA | The JAMA Network
Tracy Moniz, Lorelei Lingard, Chris Watling. Stories Doctors Tell. JAMA. 2017;318(2):124–125. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.5518

Last edited: