Do you give doctors priority for their personal prescriptions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crossurfingers

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think they should get priority over everyone else? I'm sure we've all probably experienced a situation where the rx was for either the doctor or a member his/her family and we get a call that asks us to please get it ready right away because they are heading to the pharmacy right now (regardless of the fact that there may be 15+ people who dropped of rx's right beforehand). Opinions please!
 
Nope...they wait like everone else....Do they give me priority when I go to their office?

They only prescriptions I push ahead or give priority to are for sick kids. A Mom who just spent 3 hours at the Doctors office with a 2 year old who has an ear infection doesn't need to wait any longer at the pharmacy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah kids with infections and pain medication get the priority at my pharmacy. After they clear, we do give professional courtesy to physicians or their families. All the physicians that come into my pharmacy actually make it a point to chit-chat with the pharmacist and even the techs, so when they walk in, we usually recognize them.

There really aren't too many of them, so usually we can push their script through quickly.
 
Although i do give physicians priority on their prescriptions, I do not put everything on hold for them. I just give their prescription a little bit more attention than others. When I am at their office, I dont get put first or get any special treatment. At most, the doctor spends a little bit more time with me and let me read my own labs.

On the other hand, nothing pisses me off when another pharmacist puts me on hold. I give all pharmacists priority and professional courtesy and expects them to do the same.
 
On the other hand, nothing pisses me off when another pharmacist puts me on hold. I give all pharmacists priority and professional courtesy and expects them to do the same.

Really?! I'm actually more understanding about that. I know what it's like to be at a store where a tech has called in sick, you've got 2 lines of doctors waiting for you on the phone, there's a patient consultation at the window, a patient picking up an rx has a question for you, and a tech is handing you a tote to verify for the drive through. Sometimes that call from another pharmacy asking for a safe check gets lost in the shuffle (or at least has to wait a little while).
 
On the other hand, nothing pisses me off when another pharmacist puts me on hold. I give all pharmacists priority and professional courtesy and expects them to do the same.


Mmm but when you have 3 phone copies lined up with 3 pharmacists/interns on hold with only one pharmacist on duty...the laws of physics apply.
 
I think Drs should wait like everyone else. Like it was said earlier, I don't get priority when making appointments with them. My old pharmacy manager used to be one of those who was like "oh he's a Dr, let's bump him up to the front" while there were several people waiting, some of them mothers with really sick kids. I agree...it's lame.
 
No. However, I give military personnel and their families priority. So basically, if you want your script faster than everyone else, either have an emergency situation or join the armed forces. I also gave a State Trooper, and Postal worker their Rxs a little quicker. Also current and former cheerleaders... And anyone born before 1920 or after 2007 gets their Rxs in 3 minutes or less... Ok I'll admit it: I have my favorites, and MDs are not one of em (unless they're special in some way)...
 
Last edited:
Sick kids (extra-fast service if actively crying/screaming/vomiting), old timers, anyone with an obvious physical incapacitation (broken foot with crutches), people who smell bad, people with overt tardive dyskinesia freaking out other people waiting, people talking to themselves in any form (pleasant or angry voice), or any combination of the above will get you through our pharmacy pronto!!!..so does the doctor smell bad? If not, then no, no priority service.
 
Nope. The only people who get priority:

- people who obviously need it for medical reasons (obviously sick and distressed kid, very heavily pregnant patients, those immediately after surgery/hospital discharges)
- people who are VERY nice regulars who call before they come and ask to have it done faster because they are leaving town, etc.
- people whose script was not completed when promised because of the problem which has now been cleared
- people who I want out of the store as quickly as possible because they have a wailing kid who wouldn't shut up, or because they stink, etc. (though to them I often would say it's at least an hour wait so please come back later - we often do have an hourlong wait for real, too...)

Everyone else waits.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually, I had a pharmacist come through the ED with her kid having a new onset anaphylaxis. After the epi and solumedrol, I got to talking to her about epipens, and she knew so much about them I asked if she was in medicine, and she told me she was a pharmacist. So I wrote her the standard prescription for an epipen, but made it refillable - which I never do, and wrote a script for PO steroids because she asked for them.

I never expect to be bumped up ahead of anyone else but I'd love it to happen when I look like dog**** and would benefit from getting my meds earlier.
 
when i become a pharmacist i don't plan on rolling out the red carpet for the $100k car that rolls up.
 
I put them in as the same priority level as anyone else who is sick and waiting in the store for their RX. I do, however, give a little extra push for anyone who I know is sitting in my waiting area looking ill and waiting for their abx over someone who is just awaiting a refill of a maintenance med.