do you guys get anything out of EK in class exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I haven't done any of them, I only do the lecture questions. I just want to know so I dont waste 2 weeks trying to do all the in class exams for each chapter...

Members don't see this ad.

I do take the in-exam class because they give me a deeper understanding of the material. Take some of the questions with a grain of salt however. Sometimes they require you to know information that hasn't been covered by EK yet. (I love the explanation for a question in the bio lecture 5... "This will be covered in lecture 8") Also I've found sometimes they'll ask direct questions on concepts that were italized. In physics I came across some equations that weren't in red, but that you needed to have memorized to answer the question. Overall even with some of these problems, I'd take them because the more practice the better!

pej722 said:
I do take the in-exam class because they give me a deeper understanding of the material. Take some of the questions with a grain of salt however. Sometimes they require you to know information that hasn't been covered by EK yet. (I love the explanation for a question in the bio lecture 5... "This will be covered in lecture 8") Also I've found sometimes they'll ask direct questions on concepts that were italized. In physics I came across some equations that weren't in red, but that you needed to have memorized to answer the question. Overall even with some of these problems, I'd take them because the more practice the better!

It's good to take them since it gives good practice in terms of passage based questions. I usually complete the 1001 Q's first before taking the in-class exam, especially if I'm weak on that particular topic.

what was up with that one physics question where they automatically assume you know the surface area of a sphere. i don't think i've used that equation since sophomore year in high school. some of the question are just too unrealistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
socal78 said:
what was up with that one physics question where they automatically assume you know the surface area of a sphere. i don't think i've used that equation since sophomore year in high school. some of the question are just too unrealistic.

Exactly.

I do them because it still teaches you things that weren't gone over in the book, which is actually kinda dumb. If that wasn't the case, I probably wouldn't do them.

For the ones who have taken them, what scores do you usually get? I've been getting 10-11 for everything (haven't done verbal yet). Since the first page of the book says it's not an accurate indicator, what should I expect on the real thing?

WilliamsF1 said:
For the ones who have taken them, what scores do you usually get? I've been getting 10-11 for everything (haven't done verbal yet). Since the first page of the book says it's not an accurate indicator, what should I expect on the real thing?

Biology: 11-14
Physics: 11-12
Chemistry: 11-14
Orgo: 11-15

I've tended to do better in PS than in BS, range of 13-14 in PS, 12-13 in BS. So... they're somewhat accurate indicators. They are useful in that they teach things not explicitly covered in the lecture (or they show how the lecture formulas/concepts can be applied in novel situations). They are not useful in that they seem to go in more detail than the MCAT - I got 15 on the last Orgo chapter because last year I did a course on spectroscopy as well as a lab course on all the separation techniques.

RAD11 said:
It's good to take them since it gives good practice in terms of passage based questions. I usually complete the 1001 Q's first before taking the in-class exam, especially if I'm weak on that particular topic.
This is a very good idea :thumbup: