Do you guys have all vaccine recommendations memorized?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MARX22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

it’s not so bad remembering vaccine rules if you’re only certified to give a few different types and only for adults 18+... but if you’re in a state where you can immunize babies and older, and you’re giving 10+ different types Of vaccines... it’s hard to remember all the different recommendations based on age group. Does your chain have a questionnaire that would determine which vaccine or which dose a patient would be on (based on answering that they got 2 doses before, certain amount of time elapsed, other health conditions/meds that might be contraindicated etc)? Or do you guys have a guide printed out lol I found one for my state but its over 70 pages, no way everyone remembers all that?

if so, what chain are you at?
sample pic below; thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DA824073-44AC-4B49-881F-EB11094D16E2.jpeg
    DA824073-44AC-4B49-881F-EB11094D16E2.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I can only immunize adults, and I think I’ve got the recommendations memorized. Minors are definitely tougher. I’d just make sure to know where to find the recommendation charts on the CDC website and reference as needed.

Reactions: 1 users
I can only immunize adults, and I think I’ve got the recommendations memorized. Minors are definitely tougher. I’d just make sure to know where to find the recommendation charts on the CDC website and reference as needed.
Did you have it memorized to begin with, or over time from looking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you have it memorized to begin with, or over time from looking?
To begin with. Can you name a vaccine that you don’t generally know who would be at risk for the disease? The things I need to look up are things like how long typhoid vaccines last since they aren’t normally administered repeatedly.

It’s more so the issue of what the sequence is in what age group since kids are being dealt with too, and all the different contraindications. I just don’t want to miss anything or put anyone in danger.

All these vaccines seem appropriate for a pediatrician’s office lol, do we just go by the pt or parent’s word of what they’ve gotten or haven’t so far in terms of dosing sequence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s more so the issue of what the sequence is in what age group since kids are being dealt with too, and all the different contraindications. I just don’t want to miss anything or put anyone in danger.

All these vaccines seem appropriate for a pediatrician’s office lol, do we just go by the pt or parent’s word of what they’ve gotten or haven’t so far in terms of dosing sequence?

I'm glad to live in a state where we don't vaccinate children (I think it's 10 and up?) The parent should have a card or paper with all their previous immunizations signed by the nurse/doctor/RPH who gave it. I would make them produce a card. If they really don't have one, then I guess I would go by their word, if it sounded like they knew what they were talking about. When it doubt, vaccinate. You aren't going to hurt them by re-vaccinating a vaccine they already had. With the common vaccines, once you give them several times, you will remember them easily. Until then, just look up anything you are unsure about. Most contraindications are with live vaccines, and the majority of vaccines are *not* live,

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad to live in a state where we don't vaccinate children (I think it's 10 and up?) The parent should have a card or paper with all their previous immunizations signed by the nurse/doctor/RPH who gave it. I would make them produce a card. If they really don't have one, then I guess I would go by their word, if it sounded like they knew what they were talking about. When it doubt, vaccinate. You aren't going to hurt them by re-vaccinating a vaccine they already had. With the common vaccines, once you give them several times, you will remember them easily. Until then, just look up anything you are unsure about. Most contraindications are with live vaccines, and the majority of vaccines are *not* live,

Thanks, you always share a nice perspective on things :)

• Love
Thanks, does anyone actually pull out their phone to do check this after asking patient how many doses they got? Haha

I’ll check references on my phone around a patient. NBD

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I’ll check references on my phone around a patient. NBD

Idk why I beat myself up for not being some superhero with photographic memory. I’ll be more likely to use my phone from now on

• Haha
Know where to lookup fast if dont know, ezpz