Do you guys like to work on weekends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twinsmom

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Weekends are slow. hehe
And you get paid more on Sunday.

Members don't see this ad.

Weekends are slow. hehe

At Wal-Mart, it's $1 more per hour, isn't it? I dunno if others pay you more on Sundays.

I don't mind as long as I want to sign up for it.

I don't. It's slow so the day seems to drag on forever. I'd much prefer to keep myself busy to not take a look at the clock every five minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weekends are best : Study for class and get paid. Win/Win.

Yep 1$ more on Sundays.

Only $1 more? hmm. I need to find out.
I worked one Sunday as overtime and get paid 1.5X

At Wal-Mart, it's $1 more per hour, isn't it? I dunno if others pay you more on Sundays.

I don't mind as long as I want to sign up for it.

It's a toss-up. We don't get paid more for weekends. If you work a regular 9-5 shift you don't get a real 30 minute break since there's no overlap. Sometimes the staffing is questionable. They assume it's super slow and cut down hours to the point where you can get really busy if you're the only one back there. Also, the technicians that work weekends at most stores are part time and some aren't as experienced as the ones that work on the weekdays so you have to compensate for that. It sucks to know that pretty much everyone that comes in that day is off and you're not.

On the other hand, grocery stores and malls are a mess on weekends so I don't mind missing out on running those errands.

Personally, nope. I don't receive any pay differential for working weekends, and it also sucks because most of my friends work a standard Mon-Fri schedule, so while they are out having fun on a Saturday night, I'm stuck slaving over filling scripts, running rounds, picking up the phone/attending the front window in a completely mismanaged, understaffed in-patient pharmacy in northern NJ

Weekends are slow. hehe

Especially for hospital internship. I loved being in ED satellite intern. Plenty of time to study and work on projects, then jump into action when there are codes or traumas. Get paid $2/hr more until 4 PM, then $4/hr more until 6. Love it. Best internship ever!

Didn't really care for working at walgreens though (had 2 internships). It was boring and brain dead. Staffing was cut way back, so it's still busy as hell and didn't learn anything new after the first few months. So I trimmed it back to 1 day every 2 weeks.

Only $1 more? hmm. I need to find out.
I worked one Sunday as overtime and get paid 1.5X

I didn't consider overtime. That's always going to be the same.

$1 more per hour was when I was making less than $10 per hour and had an hourly wage.

I wonder how's Sunday pay for Pharmacist, still $1 more?
:confused:

You'd have to ask some WM pharmacists. But they might not like to talk about their wages and salaries, so be prepared for that.

I didn't consider overtime. That's always going to be the same.

$1 more per hour was when I was making less than $10 per hour and had an hourly wage.

You'd have to ask some WM pharmacists. But they might not like to talk about their wages and salaries, so be prepared for that.

WM pharmacists get $50 more on Sundays. Anything over 8 hours/day is 1.5X pay. So if you work on Sat (9-7pm) you always get some OT in your schedule. We also get $25/day for a meal allowance. This is in CA anyway.

WM pharmacists get $50 more on Sundays. Anything over 8 hours/day is 1.5X pay. So if you work on Sat (9-7pm) you always get some OT in your schedule. We also get $25/day for a meal allowance. This is in CA anyway.

$25/day for meals sounds good. I bet the food would be expensive in CA though. Do you eat once or twice on your shifts?

that is ONLY california. california law mandated that ANYONE over 8 hours gets overtime where pharmacists were not originally. the law mandated that pharmacists be included in this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't work many weekends here in Utopia but I don't mind working them at all. Sometimes I pick up retails shifts on my off weekends, which is nice for saving up for a trip, or more likely, home repairs.

No shift differential as a pharmacist anywhere I have worked.

I love working weekends. I get a $4.75/hr weekend shift differential, which makes a pretty significant difference in my paycheck. At my previous job, I worked a 9-5 shift and I hated it; I'd definitely rather work nights and weekends. I avoid all the traffic and it's more convenient to run errands during weekdays.

I don't have a choice. Had rotation M-F for 40 hours, work Sat/Sun for 20 hours repeat x4. When school starts again in the Fall it will be M-F school + research lab + projects/ec's and Sat/Sun 20 hours of work. People ask me all the time if it is possible (and worth it). Yes, it is possible... Worth it? Seems like it. But, I will tell you, working most of the day away when you're already exhausted is the pits. I forgot what "free time" truly is...I end up using the few hours of "free time" I have to go out and have a little bit of a social life. I never rest. I am surprised I have no grey hair yet.

I prefer to have weekends off to spend time with friends and family. Although, like Spacecowgirl said...picking up some retail shifts once and a while on weekends for extra cash may not be bad. I plan to get established in my full-time job before I try to start picking up weekend retail shifts.

I've been working weekends for 4 years (since I started working) and am used to it. Also I only have to work with my boss every third weekend *phew* :love: But no more works when I start school in the fall. Definitely will miss it.​

I've been working weekends for 4 years (since I started working) and am used to it. Also I only have to work with my boss every third weekend *phew* :love: But no more works when I start school in the fall. Definitely will miss it.​

It should keep you busy if you let it.

I also like what you did with your sig. You a Green Day fan?

I don't mind it every now and then because it's laid back and there's a differential, but I wouldn't want to spend every weekend at work and miss out on being at the lake or something on a nice day with my friends. Techs get $2 more an hour and I think pharmacists get $5 more at my hospital.

That's really nice. I want to move to CA in the future. :D
However, the housing in CA is too expensive.

that is ONLY california. california law mandated that ANYONE over 8 hours gets overtime where pharmacists were not originally. the law mandated that pharmacists be included in this.

No. I hate it, but mainly because finding daycare is a hassle. I don't get paid more (don't really expect to, actually), don't have a tech, and it's usually slow which makes the day drag. I honestly do not look forward to a career of working every other Saturday which means missing out on so much stuff and scrambling for daycare often.

I'd rather work weekends than weekdays in retail. It's typically slower and more relaxed. There are no doctor calls so it all just gets pushed to Mondays. Plus no dealing with inspectors and corporate visits. And the hours are shorter

Eh, there are pros and cons to both I guess. I don't think we have a differential for pharmacists, since it's pretty much just 2 in the store, so weekends trade back and forth. One weekends it's less rx, no order to put away, less doc calls. At the same time, that means your day might drag, you're not getting drugs that somebody might need, and you might not be able to contact the prescriber for an ambiguous rx.

As a student, I like the slower weekends because I can do some studying, but during the summer when I have no assignments, I'd rather have it busy so the day flies by.

I like it because there are no managers and it's more laid back than weekdays

$25/day for meals sounds good. I bet the food would be expensive in CA though. Do you eat once or twice on your shifts?

I bring my lunch. I never buy out. It is just added to your paycheck, 25 bucks a day:) I just eat once while on my shift normally. I can't complain about my employer, I feel like I have a pretty good deal;)

I worked during the weekends when I was in school. I agree with everyone saying it was nice because you could study while things were slow. I would definitely work if I was getting a differential, at least for a few years to help save up. Staff is usually way better on the weekends too! :D

weekends in the hospital are the best because no one's around and are the worst because it's near impossible to discharge patients

I hate working weekends in retail. I'd rather work weekdays. Weekdays are definitely busier, but I also get more tech help. I don't have to be all over the place.

I love working weekends in the hospital. There's no shift differential, but when I cover a weekend I get an extra day off during the week and I don't have to deal with management. :D

Oh Hell NO I don't like working the weekends. Weekends are for playing.