Technology Do you guys still use torrents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the techies around SDN still use torrents in light of all of the "I will sue you if you don't give me $2,000 in 2 weeks" scams.

Or does anyone use newsgroups? If so care to teach me how? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if the techies around SDN still use torrents in light of all of the "I will sue you if you don't give me $2,000 in 2 weeks" scams.

Well that whole litigation concerning torrents is rather new, so we'll see where it goes.

Newsgroups is old school. Access in the old days was provided by your ISP but this service is almost universally limited or not offered these days for the reasons you ask about it.

Buy DVD's/CD's/BluRay online or better yet on the release day. I picked up a new release blu-ray for 10 bucks the other day, thats certainly not crippling. Itunes....

File sharing would be a silly reason to be extorted...

Last edited:

I use newsgroups (Usenet), torrents for my other "Linux downloads".

Members don't see this ad :)

I used to do newsgroups back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Then torrents came along, and hell, i even forgot how to do newsgroups now.

My friend has verizon fios and she was using torrents to get the latest episode of hbo shows and other series, like V, and well, she got a letter from Verizon twice saying, 'we were notified that you were downloading such and such, this is a warning letter, please stop.'

She stopped using torrents to download anything tv or movie related, and now she only downloads educational material or books, but no more movies or tv shows. I have comcast and they have never ever said anything about my downloads and i get a lot of crap, like movies, tv shows, books, etc.

I also have a paranoid friend that pays for a european proxy to use torrents and he has never had any issues. I think that proxy is like 12 dollars extra a month, but he loves to download the latest movies, and those seem to be tracked well...and about usenet....you do have to pay for it, but files also have a expiring limit, so not as easy to find stuff. I used to also get files from mirc channels, until i ended up getting a trojan so i stopped that crap. :D

I used to do newsgroups back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Then torrents came along, and hell, i even forgot how to do newsgroups now.

Newsgroups is bad for your wallet:
Code:
NAME     SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
rpool1  29.8G  8.75G  21.0G    29%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
secure  1.36T   170G  1.19T    12%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
tank    21.8T  18.6T  3.19T    85%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

I just have an unhealthy love for storage hardware.

Yep, torrents all the way.

Newsgroups is bad for your wallet:
Code:
NAME     SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
rpool1  29.8G  8.75G  21.0G    29%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
secure  1.36T   170G  1.19T    12%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
tank    21.8T  18.6T  3.19T    85%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

I just have an unhealthy love for storage hardware.

i thought my 5 TB of storage was excessive. but over 20 TB and almost full. You sir win. oh and usenet ftw.

i thought my 5 TB of storage was excessive. but over 20 TB and almost full. You sir win. oh and usenet ftw.

You can never have too much storage! One machine to hold all the files with mechanical redundancy in the form of RAID, and then you need some way to back up all of that stuff off-site and safe. Then you're really set for backup!

I can remember the days when usenet was all we had, and applications/games were all split in 1.5mb files. Games rarely went over 50 or 60 files and I downloaded them on 28.8kb dialup connection. Newsleecher is probably the best newsgroup client for pc, and Unison for the Mac. You can shop around for different usenet servers, but what you want is anonymous transfers where your downloads are not logged, therefore you can't be legally sued for something where there is no evidence trail. That's the only thing that bothers me about torrents is that you have a form of p2p connection where you are seeding these file "bits" to people from all over the world and these connections can be traced, unless you take the trouble to go through a secured proxy. Still... it's a far easier learning curve to use a bittorrent client than a usenet client.

Usenet servers also cost money. So it depends on what you want to download and how frequently you download. If you download frequently, and decide to use Usenet, you'll also need a good indexing service such as nzbmatrix or one of the variants.

Of course, I do not encourage nor do I participate in the download of illegal or copyrighted material, just for the official record. :cool:

I can remember the days when usenet was all we had, and applications/games were all split in 1.5mb files. Games rarely went over 50 or 60 files and I downloaded them on 28.8kb dialup connection. Newsleecher is probably the best newsgroup client for pc, and Unison for the Mac.

Heh, now everything is yEnc'd in approximately 100MB chunks and protected against transmit errors via par2. SABNZBd is probably the best usenet client out right now IMHO (Free too!), especially because you can run it as a service in the background on a remote box, and control it entirely over the web interface.

Of course, I do not encourage nor do I participate in the download of illegal or copyrighted material, just for the official record. :cool:

I download a lot of Linux. :cool:

I can remember the days when...
Why, hello there, Grandpa, how did you get out of the home and somehow find your way to SDN? I'll have to call uncle John and ask him to get you back to the home. Stay right where you are and someone will be by to help you soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one using emule? I love it...

I use torrent, as any thing starting from tv shows to e books or any software is easily available on torrent.and that includes cracks of various software and the coolest part is that all of this is available free of cost.

I use Utorrent from past 2 years and still am using it and am very much happy downloading the movies in it

Torrents all the way Baby
thumbsup.gif

Still use torrents all the time. :cool:

This.

It is just way too easy to easy to have so much content under your finger tips. Even having a mere del line has not stopped me from being up to date on all that sites have to offer. I am a member of a handful of "private trackers" so I am not completely 100% worried. I even doubt that with a nice paying post-bachelors or even post-doc paying job it would still be rather difficult for me to not continue using torrents.

With the extra money I might consider getting a faster internet connection and a decent Usenet access to really max out the speeds...bit until then, sorry, it is just way too easy.

With the extra money I might consider getting a faster internet connection and a decent Usenet access to really max out the speeds...bit until then, sorry, it is just way too easy.

Private trackers are nice, but asymmetrical home connections can make maintaining ratios difficult. Usenet is totally worth it, especially if you split the cost with some friends.

Usenet is preferable, but costs, which is the only downside.

I think the cost deserves the quality. It's worth it compared to rubbish torrents.