Do you have a strong support pre-med network?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Typing from my phone and just realized I meant to say 'pre-med support network'....

As a non-traditional, do you have an overall strong support network with students, faculty and staff at your university as well as at your job or home life? Or could any of those be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine is not strong, but my regular support network is strong, ie. close friends, etc. The pre-med environment at my state school is pretty toxic with lots of gunners, strange behaviors and outright hostility. The advising office is very rude since as pre-meds we are a dime-a-dozen. The non-premed biology environment is not supportive to pre-meds and tries to "pick off" high achieving students to go into research rather than med school. I don't blame them for this since it is the hand they are dealt. Probably >80% of the graduate students within this department are somewhat bitter or jaded and can be tough to deal with, being former pre-meds themselves.

Having said all of the above, I've gone through another degree's worth of courses, have been exposed to almost every professor and would say the 2-3 professors that I've met who are supportive are worth their weight in gold and make everything else worth it. Some are just there for their own purposes and could care less about you as a student or person, which is unfortunate but certainly the way it goes.