1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

do you have to beat the averages to get in OOS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hari-bhari, Jul 31, 2006.

1. hari-bhari

hari-bhari Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm sorry if this has been asked before, but i ran a search and couldn't find the specific answer. my question is, if you are applying to an OOS school that has accepts around <20% from OOS, do you have to be outstanding to get in? for example, let's say the average MCAT was like a 32, would you have to be significantly above that to have a decent chance? for that matter, is it worth even applying to OOS schools that have higher average MCAT and GPA scores than you, provided that they take most of their applicants from in-state? i would assume they let people in from in-state mostly, and then they let some in from OOS that are truly outstanding...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a fellow applicant, so take this for what it is worth.
    I think it is fine to apply to some OOS schools that show 20-50% of the class coming from elsewhere, especially if your stats are close to those in the MSAR (up or down) and if you have an interesting profile. What i'm learning from the more senior SDN'ers is that this thing is a CRAPSHOOT. Sometimes people you think are a shoo-in for somewhere ends up getting rejected at that particular place and accepted somewhere that is a TOTAL surprise. So take it for what it is worth.

4. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

if you live in california, you have to crush the averages to even get a secondary in state...

5. Hednej

Hednej ***** Level 60
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you talking about OOS for state schools? I would say yes, probably. I was checking out UT Houston's matriculant list and I was shocked but I saw 2 guys from Duke, one from Dartmouth, and a couple of those higher ups. So even though UT Houston isn't the most prestigous school, I would say that they can be pretty selective about who they take OOS. You should probably meet the averages at least. But some schools like Texas Tech , which is very rural medicine oriented, might show an interest if you can prove to them that you are interested in their program. Apply anyways, if you got the money. Who knows what might happen.

6. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It just depends on the school. For instance, University of Washington states that out-of-state applicants must demonstrate a dedication to rural or underserved populations. If you can effectively demonstrate this in your application (your AMCAS, mind you, so you have a chance at receiving a secondary where you can further prove your point), then you should stand a chance with the in-staters (or, in UW's case, the in-the-five-state-regioners).

7. Carmenita79

Carmenita79 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    People who go to Duke, Dartmouth, etc can't be from Texas?
    I'm betting they are in-state and just went to college OOS.