do you have to beat the averages to get in OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hari-bhari

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm sorry if this has been asked before, but i ran a search and couldn't find the specific answer. my question is, if you are applying to an OOS school that has accepts around <20% from OOS, do you have to be outstanding to get in? for example, let's say the average MCAT was like a 32, would you have to be significantly above that to have a decent chance? for that matter, is it worth even applying to OOS schools that have higher average MCAT and GPA scores than you, provided that they take most of their applicants from in-state? i would assume they let people in from in-state mostly, and then they let some in from OOS that are truly outstanding...

Members don't see this ad.

hari-bhari said:
i'm sorry if this has been asked before, but i ran a search and couldn't find the specific answer. my question is, if you are applying to an OOS school that has accepts around <20% from OOS, do you have to be outstanding to get in? for example, let's say the average MCAT was like a 32, would you have to be significantly above that to have a decent chance? for that matter, is it worth even applying to OOS schools that have higher average MCAT and GPA scores than you, provided that they take most of their applicants from in-state? i would assume they let people in from in-state mostly, and then they let some in from OOS that are truly outstanding...

I'm a fellow applicant, so take this for what it is worth.
I think it is fine to apply to some OOS schools that show 20-50% of the class coming from elsewhere, especially if your stats are close to those in the MSAR (up or down) and if you have an interesting profile. What i'm learning from the more senior SDN'ers is that this thing is a CRAPSHOOT. Sometimes people you think are a shoo-in for somewhere ends up getting rejected at that particular place and accepted somewhere that is a TOTAL surprise. So take it for what it is worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
hari-bhari said:
Are you talking about OOS for state schools? I would say yes, probably. I was checking out UT Houston's matriculant list and I was shocked but I saw 2 guys from Duke, one from Dartmouth, and a couple of those higher ups. So even though UT Houston isn't the most prestigous school, I would say that they can be pretty selective about who they take OOS. You should probably meet the averages at least. But some schools like Texas Tech , which is very rural medicine oriented, might show an interest if you can prove to them that you are interested in their program. Apply anyways, if you got the money. Who knows what might happen.

It just depends on the school. For instance, University of Washington states that out-of-state applicants must demonstrate a dedication to rural or underserved populations. If you can effectively demonstrate this in your application (your AMCAS, mind you, so you have a chance at receiving a secondary where you can further prove your point), then you should stand a chance with the in-staters (or, in UW's case, the in-the-five-state-regioners).

Hednej said:
Are you talking about OOS for state schools? I would say yes, probably. I was checking out UT Houston's matriculant list and I was shocked but I saw 2 guys from Duke, one from Dartmouth, and a couple of those higher ups. So even though UT Houston isn't the most prestigous school, I would say that they can be pretty selective about who they take OOS. You should probably meet the averages at least. But some schools like Texas Tech , which is very rural medicine oriented, might show an interest if you can prove to them that you are interested in their program. Apply anyways, if you got the money. Who knows what might happen.

People who go to Duke, Dartmouth, etc can't be from Texas?
I'm betting they are in-state and just went to college OOS.