Do you have to disclose COMLEX scores if only applying allopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigote Suave

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My COMLEX scores suck compared to my USMLE scores. Do I have to disclose the comlex scores if I'm only applying to allopathic programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Places need to see your COMLEX to know you passed and know you can get licensed. You have to submit them mainly for that reason, but most places will likely ignore them unless they get a lot of DO applicants. Some places don't even know what the scores mean. Don't worry about that though. ACGME programs as a rule rely more and trust the USMLE more than the COMLEX, so it shouldn't really hurt you (obviously it would be better if they were both high though).

I've been wondering if I should even take the USMLE for this problem right here

Just plan to take them both, and take practice tests a couple weeks out. If you feel like the USMLE isn't going well or its taking away from COMLEX prep then you can always cancel. That's my plan. Most people I know though haven't had this issue.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we have to report USMLE scores if we are applying to ACGME residency that accept COMLEX?

Places need to see your COMLEX to know you passed and know you can get licensed. You have to submit them mainly for that reason, but most places will likely ignore them unless they get a lot of DO applicants. Some places don't even know what the scores mean. Don't worry about that though. ACGME programs as a rule rely more and trust the USMLE more than the COMLEX, so it shouldn't really hurt you (obviously it would be better if they were both high though).

Just plan to take them both, and take practice tests a couple weeks out. If you feel like the USMLE isn't going well or its taking away from COMLEX prep then you can always cancel. That's my plan. Most people I know though haven't had this issue.

Do you get money back if you cancel?

Do we have to report USMLE scores if we are applying to ACGME residency that accept COMLEX?

I believe that if you take the USMLE, you have to report it to ACGME programs, but I have no idea how enforceable that is.

Do you get money back if you cancel?

I don't believe so, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Worst case scenario, you could wait to register until closer to the time (later in the spring semester), but depending on where you plan to take it, you may be limited on which locations and dates are available, which might be worth it.

I'm pretty confident I'm taking it no matter what, but if I take an NBME a little before and I'm barely passing, as opposed to around average, I'll lose the money rather than risk a fail or low pass. I usually do well on standardized tests, so it'll probably depend a lot on how much studying I do, and the risk of losing $600 is a pretty big motivator.

Don't worry about that though. ACGME programs as a rule rely more and trust the USMLE more than the COMLEX, so it shouldn't really hurt you.
b478

In my experience, most PD's don't know what the COMLEX is. Several asked me if my scores would be considered "good." One called it the COMPLEX during my interview.