Do you have to do your pre req classes all at once?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may have to go to a CC for a year but after that I should get accepted to the schools I want.

I think If I do that, I will put off the pre reqs until I get to UK or something, and just take my General Ed classes that year and whatever else I need.

I am just trying to figure out when I would be able to finish my pre reqs and still take the MCAT.

The MCAT happens junior year but if I do 1 year at CC with no pre reqs or anything, wouldn't I have to cram that into second year? Or can I take my pre reqs sophomore and junior year?

Members don't see this ad.

They don't mind you taking a few prereqs at CC, especially if you take higher-level courses and still do well in those too. Taking them all at once would be setting yourself up for failure.

What do you plan to major in?

I may have to go to a CC for a year but after that I should get accepted to the schools I want.

I think If I do that, I will put off the pre reqs until I get to UK or something, and just take my General Ed classes that year and whatever else I need.

I am just trying to figure out when I would be able to finish my pre reqs and still take the MCAT.

The MCAT happens junior year but if I do 1 year at CC with no pre reqs or anything, wouldn't I have to cram that into second year? Or can I take my pre reqs sophomore and junior year?

most people dont take the MCAT until the spring of or summer AFTER junior year, so that gives you your entire junior year to take classes as well. Why put off taking the pre reqs tho? You can take like 1 or 2 and its not going to affect your application (i know you might be thinking that people look down upon pre reqs at a CC, but in all honesty that is BS. If you do well in your pre reqs and you do well on the MCAT, no one will give a damn where you took them).

Classes you should have taken before the MCAT: all of physics, all of gen chem, all of ochem, and really only one seemster of biology is necessary (i would recommedn something like intro to cell/molecular biology b/c it covers pretty much everyting for the bio section). Dont take courses like zoology, they are useless for the MCAT.

I'd recommend taking a few pre reqs at the CC you choose to go to and then finishing them up wherever you go next.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd presumably be taking the MCAT after your junior year, so you could take pre-reqs during both your sophomore and junior years without any problem.

When your in college you can set up your schedule whatever way you want. You can take your pre-reqs all in one year or spread them out over the course of your college career.

In terms of the MCAT there are many more times during the year when you can take the test now.

Also, you make it sound like everyone takes the MCAT at the same time and it is set in stone. YOU choose when you take it. Take it when you are ready. Talk to your advisor when you get into college about a plan for classes.

Also, you make it sound like everyone takes the MCAT at the same time and it is set in stone. YOU choose when you take it. Take it when you are ready. Talk to your advisor when you get into college about a plan for classes.

well this is the way it used to be since it was only offered twice a year. But since they have made it digital there are many more choices.

Basically your first semester schedule will be made for you. After that you pick whatever classes you want they give you a schedule of all the classes at the school and their times. Then you set up your schedule accordingly.

well this is the way it used to be since it was only offered twice a year. But since they have made it digital there are many more choices.

Basically your first semester schedule will be made for you. After that you pick whatever classes you want they give you a schedule of all the classes at the school and their times. Then you set up your schedule accordingly.

thats not how it was at my school. You choose all of your classes, every semester.

thats not how it was at my school. You choose all of your classes, every semester.

We picked some of our classes, but there was alotta orientation BS and we couldnt choose the times of our labs and such

would taking some pre reqs in different universities hurt me? like iv taken the necessary courses for the mcat but not calculus and bio chem, should i take them in the university im getting my bachelors from or it doesnt matter?

would taking some pre reqs in different universities hurt me? like iv taken the necessary courses for the mcat but not calculus and bio chem, should i take them in the university im getting my bachelors from or it doesnt matter?

BioChem isn't necessary and depending on the school, neither is Calc. Although, most schools want you to take Calc. Neither is required for the MCAT.

even for the places that require calc is pre calc good enough?

I doubt it. If a medical school wants you to take Calculus I, you have to take it.

If a school requires a course, you need to take THAT course, not the pre req for that course.