Do you have to like chemistry to become a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superflunker87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm the type of person who is above average at math and chemistry, but find it boring. I find my favorite subject is bio and I'm good at it. So I'm wondering, will my lack of passion for chem hurt me as a pharmacist? Are there any pharmacists here who can tell me how much they like/dislike chem? And what type of chem and how much chem is used in a pharmacy job? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

superflunker87 said:
I'm the type of person who is above average at math and chemistry, but find it boring. I find my favorite subject is bio and I'm good at it. So I'm wondering, will my lack of passion for chem hurt me as a pharmacist? Are there any pharmacists here who can tell me how much they like/dislike chem? And what type of chem and how much chem is used in a pharmacy job? Thanks in advance.

Its really a moot point if other pharmacists like chemistry - the point is you find it boring! You will have lots and lots of chemistry classes. I'm sure more recent students can tell you more accurate, current information about the curriculums and you can find out by checking with each school you're interested in. However, I took a chemistry class every quarter I was in pharmacy school for 3 years. What type of chemistry? Well - pretty much every type except for the really theoretical and nuclear chemistry (again - things are probably different now!). But...should that deter you? IMO - no. You cannot DISLIKE chemistry to the point of really hating it because you will have to learn the structures of the molecules - that is how we learn the drugs & how to modify them to do what we want them to do. The fact that you like bio is a good asset for you. Have you ever taken biochemistry?? I recall that being like a lightbulb for me - everything before which seemed unrelated then fell into place after taking biochemistry. Now the question is - do I use my years of chemistry daily in my job? No - I don't figure the pKa of the suspension I'm mixing, nor do I need to draw the structure of ciprofloxacin...but, when questions come up (see the thread about wanting to open a Paxil capsule..) I often have to fall back on my chemistry to discern the answer. So...yeah, I use it, but not like I did when I was a student. Oh...and yes....I really did like chemistry, but didn't want to be a bench chemist, so take my opinion with an appropriate grain of salt (NaCl ;) )

I used to think that I hated Chemistry, but I knew that I wanted to be a pharmacist. The more Chem I had to take, the more comfortable I felt with it, and have actually come to like it a lot. It will never take the place of A&P, but it is not a chore now, either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a lot of O Chem in pharmacy school? I have heard it is mostly Med Chem but is it based on O Chem?

I really love chemistry and first looked into pharmacy school because I like it so much, but I didn't like it when I first took general chemistry. Maybe it will grow on you...

starsweet - yes, there is mostly pharmaceutical chemistry in pharmacy school, but you might also take molecular, analytical or a variety of others. However, to understand pharmaceutical chemistry you have to have knowledge of organic chemistry & to have an understanding of organic, you have to have done inorganic. There may be exceptions, but you'll do better in each one if you have good working knowledge of the one before. In pharmaceutical chemistry you'll cover all phases - liquids to gas, solids to liquids, eutectic mixtures, etc. Since the drugs range from naturally occuring substances to biotech drugs, you'll need a vast understanding of how side chain placement changes cellular penetration, solubility, protein binding, etc. Sometimes, when chemistry (or any class for that matter) is taken as a course without a framework around it, it seems to be random bits of memorization. Pharmacy school puts the chemistry in perspective within the framework of the practice of pharmacy & makes it more understandable (enjoyable??). Hope that helps.

Wow, yes. That actually makes a lot of sense. :laugh:

Going into pharmacy without any chemistry is like flying a plane without wings and an engine...I find chemistry to be a little more interesting than biology, but I guess it depends who teaches it...So, just register for a class with a fun instructor/professor/watever. Or that's at least what my chemistry professor told me... ;)