Do you memorize Lecture slides?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

demh23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or do you incorporate them into your overall understanding of what the professor was talking about and what you read in the book?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the class you're taking, I wouldn't recommend memorizing because your exams are going to be based off of technical and conceptual understanding.

Or do you incorporate them into your overall understanding of what the professor was talking about and what you read in the book?

Undergrad? If so, my profs' slides never made much sense unless I read the chapters.

Members don't see this ad :)
In college, I only read the book if I didn't understand the concept. If the tests were hard, I would read the book to get a better understanding. In medical school, I always read the book.

why on earth would you memorize slides?

for real? :confused:

I have had more than a few professors who never used a text book.. They essentially taught off slides and said that anything mentioned on the slides (but not in the book) is fair game for exams but anything in the book (but not in the slides) didn't matter.

Essentially, they used it to keep the information up to date - provide the latest research etc on topics instead of having to rely on an outdated book. I have only seen it in upper level biology classes.

I use the slides as an excuse to not to go to class. I find the best learning comes from reading the textbook in many situations.

LOL @ kids that print out slides for each lecture. Way to hurt the environment ppl.

If you are memorizing lecture slides, you are trying way too hard and not even learning the material well conceptually.

I try to figure out what is important and what is not. It is usually apparent which slides have information that will be incorporated into the exams.

No.

There's not enough info on lecture slides and it's a waste of time if you're only going to memorize the few key details as opposed to actually understanding the major concepts before memorizing the details.