Do you move permanently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just thought I would add for the record that Indiana no longer uses cadavers in their optometry program. And yes, I would agree with the recommendation to buy a house. As well as the recommendation to check out search engines such as Rent.com or ApartmentRatings.com.

Members don't see this ad.

Just thought I would add for the record that Indiana no longer uses cadavers in their optometry program. And yes, I would agree with the recommendation to buy a house. As well as the recommendation to check out search engines such as Rent.com or ApartmentRatings.com.

No cadavers?! :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Well, I guess purchase a house would only make sense if you know you are doing your externships in that area, carrying a mortgage payment would be hard if you want to spend some of the clinical years out of the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you happen to be married, purchasing a house makes a lot more sense since your spouse will likely not relocate with you for each externship. Even if you are not married, I know that many people who purchase a house simply rent it to other students who are on a local externship during the time that they are away. There is a lot of this "passing around of rentals" or sub-leasing that goes on between fourth years to avoid paying high fees for signing short-term leases (if they are available at all).

Buy a house if possible. The housing market can't get much worse and its a buyer's market.

At the end of 4 years I made a profit on my house.

Nice idea, but what happens if the market crashes while you are in school? The market can get a lot worse. Don't tell me this has never happened before. The market crashed in Texas in the 1980's and it took more than 10 years to recover. Many people lost their homes and many people simply walked away from their mortgages.

For someone who clearly has no money--we are talking about a student here--it is quite a risk. Sure you can hang on to your house until the market comes around but there's no guaranty it will for many years and you might be stuck in this town. If you have the desire to rent out the house, then be prepared to do a lot of work. If you are trying to rent the house while living in another state--good luck! It's a royal pain in the rear!

I speak from experience. I've bought and sold a lot of houses in the last 20 years.

Go ahead and buy a house, but realize that there is risk involved. And if you have to get someone else to sign with you, again because you are a poor student and may have not established any worthy credit, then you are risking someone else's money.

Not everyone makes money selling houses, but then a lot of people do. Just can't predict the future with 100% certainty.

Hey, just FYI... Just looking to provide perspective... :D