Do you need a BA for apply for physical therapy school?

Started by deleted259194
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

To answer your question you do not need to have a BA/BS when you apply, but you need to have one by the time you start/matriculate into the program. This is a very simple question so please search first or check out the website for the information from the schools you are interested in.

Just a word of advice, almost all jobs in health care (PT, OT, SLP, Audiology, PA, Pharm, MD/DO, DPM, DVM, etc...) will require a grad degree so you will definitely need your BA/BS.
 
Actually, there are a few schools that do not require a BA/BS, such as University of North Dakota State and Creighton University and a few others. They require all the pre-req and 90 credits of course work (look it up on there website!). They end up giving you a BA in physical therapy after a year in the DPT program...so if you are looking for a faster way to PT...this is an option. However you are extremely limited to where you can apply without a BA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks guys for answer! really appreciate the help and tip. MJhusker just confirm my confusion, 🙂
 
Actually, there are a few schools that do not require a BA/BS, such as University of North Dakota State and Creighton University and a few others. They require all the pre-req and 90 credits of course work (look it up on there website!). They end up giving you a BA in physical therapy after a year in the DPT program...so if you are looking for a faster way to PT...this is an option. However you are extremely limited to where you can apply without a BA.

I might be wrong, but I believe that schools that offer that option only accept students from their own institution for this "accelerated" programs, meaning that you have to start there as a freshmen. They are usually called "3 + 3" because you get your bachelors technically in 3 years and your DPT in another 3. Actually, I believe this has become a trend that many schools are implementing now...
 
I have seen some schools do that for OT programs. A friend of mine went to Loma Linda for her OT and they awarded her a BA in OT after 1.5 years and another 2.5 years for the MOT, so it was a total of 4 years. Not a bad deal in my opinion for your undergrad/grad.

That "3 + 3" program sounds good. It sure beats doing your BA/BS and then applying for all these other programs. I sure wished I knew what I wanted to do when I started school. It seems like it will be 8 years of schooling for me after I am done. That is factoring in undergrad/masters/DPT.