Do you need a Bac. Degree to get in?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by JRMDR, Jul 27, 2002.

1. JRMDR

JRMDR Member

Hey guys, I was just wondering how important it is to have a degree when applting to school. I wanna apply for the 2004 class but I dont think I will have all the classes for my degree but I will have the requirements to apply(science classes). I will have the DAT, volunteer exp, shadowing exp, good sci. GPA, and good cum. GPA. PLease let me know if they look down on applicants who do not have a degree.
    Thanks guys and gals!

:confused:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    It definately helps to have a degree. Over 95% of the matriculants have some kind of degree. From my understanding many of the people who don't get into dental school apply way to early and schools look down upon that, majority of those people also don't have stellar gpas. So if you can maintain at least a 3.5+ gpa and illustrate your commitment to dentistry, I think you should be fine. Another thing a degree shows (any degree) is commitment and interest. You should also ask yourself if you would regret not getting a degree 10 years from now. It doesn't have to be in science but something you enjoy. I think too many people rush because they just want to get into school and out, but in that process they don't mature and "suck in the juice" of college. That is just my opinion. Anyways, I am blabbering on, I hope this helps, though.

DesiDentist

4. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer

to JRMDR:

As I understand it, most U.S. dental schools requires you to have completed a bachelor's degree by the time the 1st semester of dental school started, i.e. you apply to dental school during your senior year of college expecting to finish your BA/BS by the time summer rolls around.

There are some incoming freshmen at my dental school who have not yet finished their BA/BS yet, but that's because they are in an accelerated 7-year combined Bachelors-DDS program, which awards their Bachelors after the 1st year of the DDS program has been completed.

If you are confident you can finish your bachelor's requirements before the summer is over (through summer session classes), you should be able to start at a dental school in the fall.

Good luck!

5. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    Hello JRMDR, there are schools that will accept students after three years of undergrad without a bachelor's degree. Sometimes students with stellar credentials will just decide to apply after two years of undergrad for admission after their third year. Since DesiDentist said 95% of matriculants have some kind of degree, these would be the 5% that don't have a degree. I thought JonR on this board who was headed to UConn was one of these students. I know of two students at my dental school who applied and were accepted without degrees. One went back to receive the undergrad degree after the first year in dental school (the school gave it to him, he didn't have to take additional courses), and the other never went back for the undergrad degree. It doesn't make a difference since the second student just graduated from dental school this year.

If you have the credentials and don't want to hang around in college anymore, I would say go for it! Apply to dental schools after your second year, it won't hurt. I began dental school without an undergrad degree. At that point, I really just wanted to start dental school. I was working toward a biology degree, which in my opinion, was an unmarketable degree anyways, so I didn't see the need to stay senior year and take courses like marine biology and ornithology. I knew dental school was my ultimate goal and I wanted to start taking courses like Endodontics and Biology of Dentistry. It sounds like you have what it will take to be a competitive applicant. Good luck!

6. JRMDR

JRMDR Member

Hey guys,
    I really appreciate the input from you guys, it really helped a lot. I think im going to go ahead a finish the business requirements and get my degee and then apply. Im sure that will be the best thing for me, give me a little bit more time to mature!
    Thanks again for taking yalls time to answer my question

Pre-Dent