Do you need anecdotes in every secondary you write?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139574

I am reflecting on some of the secondaries I wrote and feeling a little bad I didn't make it more story focused. My primary was almost all stories and I had the time for that. But, for secondaries I am much more pressed for time. The formula I have been using is a) make sure I answer the question and b) do a fact about me + reflection behind it. However, I am wondering if doing a more narrative focused format might give me higher quality secondaries. However, I don't seem to have the time to do something like that....

Members don't see this ad.

Your word/character limit will dictate whether you should include a story. It's not worth putting in an anecdote if you only have 200 words.

Also, the more words you have, the more mistakes you can make.

Reactions: 3 users
Your word/character limit will dictate whether you should include a story. It's not worth putting in an anecdote if you only have 200 words.
Yea but I'm reading some of my friends' secondaries and they feel so much better than mine when they have a cohesive narrative. Sigh, I don't have enough time to actually make my secondaries good either...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea but I'm reading some of my friends' secondaries and they feel so much better than mine when they have a cohesive narrative. Sigh, I don't have enough time to actually make my secondaries good either...
I'll agree that at this point, you don't have time to go comparing notes. It is too easy to get your head spun around with advice and editing. At some point, you got to take the shot, and the essays need to represent your voice.

If one wants to read an anecdote, you'll get 2000 characters (half a page) or more. Remember your personal statement is around 5000 characters.

Reactions: 2 users
I am reflecting on some of the secondaries I wrote and feeling a little bad I didn't make it more story focused. My primary was almost all stories and I had the time for that. But, for secondaries I am much more pressed for time. The formula I have been using is a) make sure I answer the question and b) do a fact about me + reflection behind it. However, I am wondering if doing a more narrative focused format might give me higher quality secondaries. However, I don't seem to have the time to do something like that....
The question, word/character limit, and your experience should dictate the nature of your answer. Stories are wonderful tools-- when they fit.

The point of a story is to provide relevant information in an engaging, distinctive, and memorable way. However if you have a 250 or 300 word limit, and multiple questions that you are addressing in that essay, you may simply not have room. Anecdotes are great when they help to answer the question and can be related quickly enough to still allow for analysis and reflection.

PS. Don't read your friends essays and compare to the secondaries you've already submitted. It's a recipe for anxiety. Only look at friends' essays if you're still writing secondaries so that you can improve future ones.

Reactions: 1 users