Do you NEED outpatient hours?

Started by Wiscoguy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wiscoguy

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anybody run into the problem of admissions saying that you should have had outpatient hours? A lot of people say you should have inpatient, outpatient, and then a third setting. But does it matter that much or is it just kind of a generalization?

I currently have: 45 hours inpatient, 45 SNF, and 22 school setting for a total of 112 hours.

Any input is welcome! Thanks
 
It will make you more competitive to have more settings. Since getting into an outpatient setting is relatively easy, I'd say definitely do it if you can, even if only for 15-20 hours. Some schools do require outpatient experience, but you'll just have to look at the requirements for the specific schools you're interested in. If they don't require it, it's probably not a deal-breaker. But with how competitive admissions is, you might as well do everything you can to have a better chance of getting in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you have any experience at all in outpatient? Like even as a patient? If nothing else, I would encourage you to observe a bit for yourself to learn more about it. It's a big part of PT school and very different from the other settings you've been in.
 
Has anybody run into the problem of admissions saying that you should have had outpatient hours? A lot of people say you should have inpatient, outpatient, and then a third setting. But does it matter that much or is it just kind of a generalization?

I currently have: 45 hours inpatient, 45 SNF, and 22 school setting for a total of 112 hours.

Any input is welcome! Thanks

I think you should be good with what you have! A variety of settings is better than fewer obviously but you have a diverse experience from the looks of it. Look at the schools you're trying to get into, and see what they have for requirements. As long as you meet that, and have a little more you're golden!

All of the schools i'm applying to require at least 2 different settings with ~20 hours at each, i'm sure most of yours are similar to that. I only have inpatient (acute care) and outpatient, not SNF and school like you do. However, my outpatient setting included multiple populations such as a dedicated pediatrics wing, general ortho section, neuro, geriatrics, etc.
 
Last edited:
I think you should be good with what you have! A variety of settings is better than fewer obviously but you have a diverse experience from the looks of it. Look at the schools you're trying to get into, and see what they have for requirements. As long as you meet that, and have a little more you're golden!

All of the schools i'm applying to require at least 2 different settings with ~20 hours at each, i'm sure most of yours are similar to that. I only have inpatient (acute care) and outpatient, not SNF and school like you do. However, my outpatient setting included multiple populations such as a dedicated pediatrics wing, general ortho section, neuro, geriatrics, etc.

I am in the same boat as you. At least 2 settings with 20 hours in each. Have you talked to any students who have gotten accepted into programs? I guess I'm just curious as to what settings they had and number of hours.