Do you need research for infectious disease?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saigon.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a OMS-II, but I've had infectious disease on my mind. I am fascinated by it (monster hunting irl), but I cannot stand research (lab work specifically, I've never written a clinical case report before). Will this be a red flag way down the line? I've read several times here that it's not competitive, but I imagine no research still looks bad.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need any lab research. I'd prob just start a clinical research project or do a case report. You need them to have something to talk about during the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
you need a thready pulse except for the most competitive programs

Reactions: 1 users
Probably depends on the program but in general research is not required. As you mentioned, ID isn't very competitive and as a result there are usually open positions after the match.
Strictly an anecdote but I had a colleague that was able to get into a community program post-match. He never submitted a rank order list, instead he went through the list of open positions available after the match and called them to express his interest. He was able to obtain a spot via a phone interview.

You need to have some kind of simple project such as a case report or QI to get interviews at most programs (including Ivy league). Do not need any formal research. If you want to interview at MGH, NIH, Hopkins or Emory, then you need a real project.

you need a thready pulse except for the most competitive programs

Yup this

The super competitive ones I would imagine (Emory, MGH, etc) probably needs research. It also depends on your life goals and whether your plan is to continue doing research primarily as a career - if so, better start early

Thanks for the replies everyone! It's relieving to hear that it is not an uber-ultra-competitive specialty, but I shall certainly keep an eye out for any potential epi research or case report opportunities.

Double thanks to wholeheartedly who answered my other thread years ago.