Do you need to cite references in an IRB application?

Started by deleted329605
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted329605

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear SDN Physician Scientists,

I am submitting my first IRB. I was wondering, are references/citations required in the submission (e.g. when I'm describing my project)?
 
It's not required, and definitely extensive referencing should be avoided, but a few key references can be helpful, particularly if you have used similar methods/approaches in past work. Keep in mind that the IRB's purpose is to evaluate the ethical aspects of your work as related to patient safety/privacy. They generally are not evaluating scientific merit.

Also, be aware that when you renew, the IRB will ask you for a summary of recent developments in the field since the original submission or last renewal. I usually will put citations for this.