Do you need to take calculus before taking physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grindtime1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm looking at prerequisites for physics and I've never seen calculus as a requirement, just regular algebra/trigonometry.

But many people I've talked to said physics is based on a lot of calculus.

1. Are you REQUIRED to take calculus before taking physics?

2. Or will it just help you to know calculus?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Are you REQUIRED to take calculus before taking physics?

2. Or will it just help you to know calculus?

1. If you're taking calculus based physics-yes. If you're taking algebra based physics-no.

2. No.

Now that we're on the subject, do you think med schools really care at all? I took trig-based sophomore year over calc-based because I wasn't pre-med at that point. Now that I'm pre-med, I wish I took the calc-based to make my schedule look more robust. Anybody got experience with this? Or should I start a new thread?

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that we're on the subject, do you think med schools really care at all? I took trig-based sophomore year over calc-based because I wasn't pre-med at that point. Now that I'm pre-med, I wish I took the calc-based to make my schedule look more robust. Anybody got experience with this? Or should I start a new thread?
It doesn't matter-they don't care.

It doesn't matter-they don't care.

actually, some schools care. Columbia, for example, says specifically on their website that they prefer you to take the hardest versions of your classes. They specifically cite physics as an example. They would prefer you to take calc-based over algebra-based if you haven taken calculus already.

But I mean, who cares if they prefer it. Many schools also prefer that you take biochem, but you still don't have to.