Do you pack all subcutaneous abscesses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you pack all subcutaneous abscesses after I&D?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

PlutoBoy

Sic transit gloria mundi
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you pack all of them? If not, what helps you decide if you will pack or not?

I've not packed the last two I have done and they have healed well one week after the fact.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you pack all of them? If not, what helps you decide if you will pack or not?

I've not packed the last two I have done and they have healed well one week after the fact.
Emrap did a talk on this about 1 year ago.
Recs
Culture no
Pack maybe
Wash out no
Antibiotics maybe (nnt 7)

That said I don't pack. I do give antibiotics if any cellulitis.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Emrap did a talk on this about 1 year ago.
Recs
Culture no
Pack maybe
Wash out no
Antibiotics maybe (nnt 7)

That said I don't pack. I do give antibiotics if any cellulitis.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don't pack if cavity is too small or too superficial. Any other clinical cues to guide your decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't packed since I left residency.

Even when the patient comes back and says "They told me I needed to come back in two days and have it re-packed."

Antibiotics more likely now.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmm... so we are not packing. I've read the literature but it is always nice to know that I am not deviating from the standard of care.

Not packing. The EM literature is quite good for smaller abscesses not requiring packing and the added harm (pain, not benefit) done on packing and re-packing. There may be a benefit in larger abscesses, but those should be handled by our surgical colleagues - in league with admission and antibiotics.

There is no reason NOT to initiate source control when surgical management will be necessary though. Drains are also more useful than packing in my own practice - i.e. a Penrose through a linear abscess to be removed in a couple of days.

Reactions: 1 user