Do you perform OMM on your family/friends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Postictal Raiden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS-0 here and looking forward medical school and learning OMM. Various family members, including my wife and my mother, can't wait till I start practicing on them.

I want to know if you guys/gals are sharing your skills with your loved ones. I want to know how appreciative were they with your ability for providing them with medical care while despite that you haven't graduated medical school yet.

Members don't see this ad.

OMS-0 here and looking forward medical school and learning OMM. Various family members, including my wife and my mother, can't wait till I start practicing on them.

I want to know if you guys/gals are sharing your skills with your loved ones. I want to know how appreciative were they with your ability for providing them with medical care while despite that you haven't graduated medical school yet.
My wife loves it. First time I did some thoracic HVLA she said "oh yes why didn't we go to med school sooner?" Haha. She appreciates greatly when I do counterstrain, muscle energy, and HVLA on her. I've also worked on a number of classmates/friends who will call or text (or we're studying together) asking for a quick fix. Back gets sore in the T4-T7 area from being hunched over all day. It's quite nice! I've also had my classmates work in me when needed.

Reactions: 1 user
I use my magic hands on many of my family and friends, and they think I am a god.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My wife loves it. First time I did some thoracic HVLA she said "oh yes why didn't we go to med school sooner?" Haha. She appreciates greatly when I do counterstrain, muscle energy, and HVLA on her. I've also worked on a number of classmates/friends who will call or text (or we're studying together) asking for a quick fix. Back gets sore in the T4-T7 area from being hunched over all day. It's quite nice! I've also had my classmates work in me when needed.

We haven't had HVLA taught to is yet... just the theory and we've had demos but they haven't had us do it yet. Next quarter I think. How long was it before you guys got to it?

We haven't had HVLA taught to is yet... just the theory and we've had demos but they haven't had us do it yet. Next quarter I think. How long was it before you guys got to it?
We actually started it along with muscle energy on our first day of learning treatment (maybe 3 or 4 weeks into school). Right now we're finishing diagnosis of the sacrum. I believe we start cervical next. Got to say I've hated BLT. Seems ridiculous to me. Haven't seen anyone benefit from it.

I generally stick to soft tissue techniques. HVLA is really intimidating for people (the set-ups are often complex and strange-looking, with the patient feeling uncomfortable in the "lock-out" position), and since I'm just a med student, neither me nor my friends are 100% comfortable with a treatment that has a risk of hurting them a little.
In general, the extent of my extracurricular OMM use is throwing in a couple techniques to a massage I'm giving my girlfriend after she comes home from work or something.

Got to say I've hated BLT. Seems ridiculous to me. Haven't seen anyone benefit from it.

Agreed. I've seen far better results with turkey and swiss.

Reactions: 3 users
Best thing about going to a DO school is you can fix each other after a stressful week of studying. I'm going home for Thanksgiving tomorrow, and I'm sure my family and friends are waiting for me to come home to fix them up as well.

Heck yes I do. I am by no means an OMM kool-aid drinker but I think there are many practical and effective uses in our training in it. So far, techniques have been hit and miss but there are one's (especially in soft tissue and counterstrain) I will be a religious user of.

I try to do OMT on my wife, but she ends up laughing or not taking it seriously.

How easy is it to overdo OMT and injure the person you are working on? It would be awful to injure my wife or children.

How easy is it to overdo OMT and injure the person you are working on? It would be awful to injure my wife or children.

The risks are generally pretty small in almost all techniques (don't know all- HVLA in particular) but that's what you learn relative and contra-indications before the technique. Follow those trends and there is little potential for problems... though not all OMM that works feels good initially, or even for a day or two can feel worse haha

learn relative and contra-indications before the technique.

Yeah, all we've really learned where OMM can hurt someone is in patients w/ osteoporosis or cervical HVLA using extension (flexion is fine).

That being said, I've had people who absolutely suck at OMM do temporarily painful things, almost always in the context of HVLA. For a lumbar HVLA setup, I've had my manhood pinned between my pelvis and the table, with a subsequent inferior thrust applied. :scared:

Yeah, all we've really learned where OMM can hurt someone is in patients w/ osteoporosis or cervical HVLA using extension (flexion is fine).

That being said, I've had people who absolutely suck at OMM do temporarily painful things, almost always in the context of HVLA. For a lumbar HVLA setup, I've had my manhood pinned between my pelvis and the table, with a subsequent inferior thrust applied. :scared:

Sorry to hear that

Are you an MS1?

I use OMM every time I visit home. My family begs for it. Everyone wants HVLA..

My mother had rotator cuff surgery last year, and she has had pain and ROM issues ever since. A round of Spencer and she was in tears from relief. It's been 6 weeks... still no pain.

I enjoy learning OMM.. but I'm not a kool aid drinker either. Some of the stuff is hippie voo doo IMO. Some techniques (spencer, counterstrain, etc) are great though!

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone seems to love Counterstrain for Levator Scap. That's the one I first do to people who are hesitant about OMM, after that, they tend to let me do my thing. It's a common one that it seems all my friends and family have often as well.

If my fiancé has a headache or something like that I will do OMT but other than that not really. Not a lot of people in my class have a table at home or really "practice" except for 1-2 days before a practical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar

I do OMT on my family members almost every time that I go home. I mainly stick with the HVLA techniques and a few muscle energy ones. Whenever I pull a muscle in my back, I have someone HVLA it and it instantly fixes the issue. It's worked on friends as well, so I feel that those techniques have proven themselves to me