Do you pre-meds get to party?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

italian4522

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if im going to have to totally stop once I get to college 🙁because I always hear about the crazy amount of studying.
 
Plenty pre-meds party. The key is controlling yourself and not partying, say the night before an exam.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally only studied coming up to tests.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if im going to have to totally stop once I get to college 🙁because I always hear about the crazy amount of studying.

Studying for normal subjects to pull off a 4.0, studying for MCAT verbal section and other sections as early as possible, handling as many meaningful ECs as possible, spending time in a lab for research projects, researching various information about your future, working as many hours as possible for the $$$, and doing the minimum house hold stuff.

What's left in my life in college ? Bed time and SDN. :claps:
 
Studying for normal subjects to pull off a 4.0, studying for MCAT verbal section and other sections as early as possible, handling as many meaningful ECs as possible, spending time in a lab for research projects, researching various information about your future, working as many hours as possible for the $$$, and doing the minimum house hold stuff.

What's left in my life in college ? Bed time and SDN. :claps:

i know you are joking, but try your best not to make that the case. I mean you dont have to drink (im not a big drinker myself), but go do something fun.
 
Studying for normal subjects to pull off a 4.0, studying for MCAT verbal section and other sections as early as possible, handling as many meaningful ECs as possible, spending time in a lab for research projects, researching various information about your future, working as many hours as possible for the $$$, and doing the minimum house hold stuff.

What's left in my life in college ? Bed time and SDN. :claps:

I do a lot of what you have said, and I sure find plenty of time to enjoy myself. You don't need to be a superhuman to get into medical school. Don't torture yourself. College is too fun for that!
 
haha... sorry for the awkward sucking up.
i am just still amazed by your stats.


edit: kathy and Ryserr21, my role models. 😍
 
Last edited:
Yes. Even medstudents get to party. You just have to know when you have time to spare and when you don't. Work hard, party hard.
 
Yes. Even medstudents get to party. You just have to know when you have time to spare and when you don't. Work hard, party hard.

Man, I am going to party then in college. Have to find a way to balance my life then. 😀
 
you can party the night before a test... you can even party during a test, just bring your prof a little bit of what ever you are enjoying and spread the wealth.

come on... everyone loves a good time

some of my best exams were taken on a beer pong table.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At first I was addicted to partying (not studying & being a smart ass) and then when one of my first tests hit me, I learned self control real quick. Now it's only no partying 2-3 days before a test.
 
its the perfect place! where else can you see and feel elimination and substitution reactions with alcohol taking place all at the same time!!!
 
you can party the night before a test... you can even party during a test, just bring your prof a little bit of what ever you are enjoying and spread the wealth.

come on... everyone loves a good time

some of my best exams were taken on a beer pong table.

Eh... I can't condone the partying the night before a test thing. I once took a Spanish quiz still drunk from the night before... that was a weird weird class :laugh:
 
Hah, we definitely do. While studying for the MCAT, most pre-meds definitely don't get to nearly as much as other than that. Seriously, being pre-med really isn't that different than any respectable college major. The only crunch time reall comes around MCAT/application time.

And to add to ksmi's post, I once went to gen chem lecture after like 5 Jager bombs. Best...lecture...ever...
 
Hah, we definitely do. While studying for the MCAT, most pre-meds definitely don't get to nearly as much as other than that. Seriously, being pre-med really isn't that different than any respectable college major. The only crunch time reall comes around MCAT/application time.

And to add to ksmi's post, I once went to gen chem lecture after like 5 Jager bombs. Best...lecture...ever...

jager bombs? i f*ckin shower in that ****.
 
i know you are joking, but try your best not to make that the case. I mean you dont have to drink (im not a big drinker myself), but go do something fun.
I concur with this. I don't drink, but I still hang out with friends and "go out".

Then again, on exam weeks I spend more time in the library than at home (including sleep) and don't touch the television. Thank God some of my friends are in the same classes so we "hang out" in the library.
 
There is absolutely plenty of time to party, you just need to know yourself well enough to know exactly how hard you can party.

Personally, I am the type of person who learns best by attending lecture and I ran into trouble my freshman year because I was staying up too late to make it to lecture the next morning. Eventually, I adjusted so that I could do both, but that first semester freshman GPA was brutal.

Lesson? If you're going to party Sunday-Thursday, don't act like it's Friday night.

My advice is to just take it slow the first semester. You'll have 8 semesters to have fun, and you'll enjoy it more if you don't completely mess up your first term by going overboard.