You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step I Do you read CMMRS cover to cover?
Started by NeedToStudy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm sure we've all read a million good things about this book. Do you all read it cover to cover? Or are some sections more important than others?
FA and microcards are way better. CMMRS isn't worth the time.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do microcards have more info than FA or is it just presented differently?FA + Microcards ftw!
Do microcards have more info than FA or is it just presented differently?
I would say for most bugs there is more info than FA, and it always lists the treatment, which FA doesn't always do. I mostly like it for the Clinical Case and study tips, which is kind of like the "blue text/box" HY stuff often seen in resources. There are some errors, and if I see something in a qbank that is different I follow that instead because it's probably more updated than the version of Microcards I'm using.
Don't waste your time with that book. Sketchymicro is now the gold standard supplement to FA for microbiology on step 1.
Don't waste your time with that book. Sketchymicro is now the gold standard supplement to FA for microbiology on step 1.
Since when? I really like sketchy micro (and dislike CMMRS) but it only covers bacteria.
Since when? I really like sketchy micro (and dislike CMMRS) but it only covers bacteria.
I believe SketchyMicro is coming out with their virus section sometime next month. I think it will probably be a little too late for me to try and cram a bunch of new pictures/videos, but it's great news generally speaking. Of course that still leaves fungi/parasites.
Wait when did CMMS stop being the gold standard? I can't even recall a thread other than this one where people didn't rave about it.
Wait when did CMMS stop being the gold standard? I can't even recall a thread other than this one where people didn't rave about it.
It's not a small book so it can take a long time to get through depending on how fast you go and how much you're able to retain. But you still need to review First Aid and do as many questions as possible, which is arguably a better use of your time and is very effective. Micro just requires dedicated repetition and a fair amount of memorization. The more questions you do the better.
I think a lot of people fall into the trap of thinking they need additional resources for each subject when all they probably need is more time with FA and questions.
Wait when did CMMS stop being the gold standard? I can't even recall a thread other than this one where people didn't rave about it.
I think in the last year or two (probably not a coincidence that sketchy micro and picmonic picked up steam during this time).
Plenty of upperclassmen at my school have mentioned it, I don't think I know anybody in my year who used it. A lengthy book with a lot of text is not the way of the future.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think in the last year or two (probably not a coincidence that sketchy micro and picmonic picked up steam during this time).
Plenty of upperclassmen at my school have mentioned it, I don't think I know anybody in my year who used it. A lengthy book with a lot of text is not the way of the future.
How long does it take to get through sketchymicro?
I wish I could tell you. I used it during our M1 micro sequence and haven't used it since then. They've also added more videos/topics since.How long does it take to get through sketchymicro?
two solid days and maybe half a day to review it using the images closer to exam time. it might sound like a lot of time but it sticks much better than anything else and it covers a lot. you should be able to do 90 % + in the uworld questions if you know everything sketchymicro explains.How long does it take to get through sketchymicro?
used picmonic with FA, helps me quite a bit bc it kind of tricks you into learning the bugs. Havent used skethymicro so cant say anything about that
Wow ok... How many hours long are they?two solid days and maybe half a day to review it using the images closer to exam time. it might sound like a lot of time but it sticks much better than anything else and it covers a lot. you should be able to do 90 % + in the uworld questions if you know everything sketchymicro explains.
Wow ok... How many hours long are they?
Each video is about 7 minutes average length. Longest one in bacteria section is 16 minutes, shortest around 3 minutes. There are 44 bacteria videos. I haven't looked through viruses or fungi yet.
I was particularly strong in micro so Sketchy hasn't really taught me anything new, but it has helped to reinforce a couple of things. I'm not sure if I'd buy it again now that I've reviewed it. YMMV.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
D
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 3K
D