Do you regret pharmacy school/ being a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really want to be a pharmacist, ever since I was a little kid. Now it's time to apply to colleges and all I hear about pharmacy is that it's overcrowded. My parents tell me to be a nurse but I can't imagine doing the stuff nurses have to do. I have good science and math grades and would probably do well in pharmacy school. I'm thinking about St. John's Uni or LIU Post. Anyways just want to hear from some current pharmd students or new grads. Have you had extreme difficulty finding a job? Will knowing a few pharmacists help me get a job- I have some family and friends who are pharmacists. Are you having trouble paying off your student loans- how much are they, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm 23 and pre-pharmacy right now and I'm currently a certified tech at CVS. I currently hold 2 business degrees and the day I got hired at CVS I knew I wanted to be a pharmacist. The workload is demanding and I see the hours and responsibility the pharmacists have but based on the change I see in the patients lives I think it all will be worth it. I can stay right on with CVS so I'll have a job after school and I honestly love it more everyday.

Members don't see this ad.

I moved from pharmD to comp sci and honestly it seems the most complex math you'll take is linear alegbra (do not need a calculator for this). I go to a top 10 univ for CS buuuuuuut as I was strictly a bio major before this is kinda strange for me.

I did make my first code a few days ago and it felt great. Honestly it's not that bad.There are online free courses for cs. Try those out and see!

string n;
cout << "Are you planning on attending pharmacy school?";
cin >> n;
if (n == yes) cout << "God speed and good luck"\n;
if (n == no) cout << "Wise choice!"\n;
return 0;

Did I do that right? :)

Reactions: 1 user
string n;
cout << "Are you planning on attending pharmacy school?";
cin >> n;
if (n == yes) cout << "God speed and good luck"\n;
if (n == no) cout << "Wise choice!"\n;
return 0;

Did I do that right? :)
:oops:

I don't know but common logic says you're wishing the pharmacy people good luck?
How do you know comp sci??
This isn't java...?
/backtostudying
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
:oops:

I don't know but common logic says you're wishing the pharmacy people good luck?
How do you know comp sci??
This isn't java...?
/backtostudying
:)

How many years did you attend pharmacy school before dropping out of pharmacy school?

I graduated in 2014 and found a job easily but I think I if I had a family member or close friend interested, I would tell them to explore all options. Especially PA school since there is a need. Pharmacists have jobs but I think it will be different 4 years from now. Go where there's a need, not a surplus. I am happy with my personal decision to be a pharmacist though :)

Well this thread is kind of depressing. I got an interview for my top choice school next week and was excited at the prospect of becoming a pharmacy student. However, if a lot of the things being said here are accurate, I might have to reconsider my options over the year...

There's now a need for PAs, but PA schools are popping up everywhere, so it'll be just like pharmacy a few years from now. The job market for PTs seems to be rebounding after their previous surplus...

As far as pharmacy, yes you'll find a job, but you might have to move. Might only be an hour away, might be across the country if you're only looking for particular jobs (e.g. clinical, industry, etc...) Nothing wrong with moving, definitely makes you grow up when you move to a new area where you don't know anyone. As you said, some people don't move, but many people have to, so just depends if you get lucky.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a pharmacist in SOCAL, graduated 4 years ago. Just some quick takes. As other stated, if it's something that you truly like, do it. If you think it's going to lead to an easy life style and guaranteed 100K plus, it won't. As you proly heard, it's an uphill battle. If you want to be a retail RPh, be ready to bust your butt. If you want to be a hospital RPh, learn and know everything. Nothing comes easy.

Well this thread is kind of depressing. I got an interview for my top choice school next week and was excited at the prospect of becoming a pharmacy student. However, if a lot of the things being said here are accurate, I might have to reconsider my options over the year...

so you decide to switch to predental now? good job! welcome

Reactions: 2 users
so you decide to switch to predental now? good job! welcome

There is actual opportunity to present yourself and stand out in dental school and beyond. If you're a high performer in dental school, there are a ton of avenues to pursue. These avenues actually exist - orthodontics, OMFS, or go crazy and own several GPR sites as an independent owner/associate. If you're a high performer in pharmacy school, you will be told to apply to a "specialized" field in residency which has a ton of limitations in the real world. Two year residency to practice infectious diseases, nuclear, informatics residency? All the time you'll be lamenting the fact that your other pharmacy school classmates that barely got through with C's yet had the personalities and the good looks to squeak into retail pharmacy while pocketing at least 2x the salary during your years of residency...

There is actual opportunity to present yourself and stand out in dental school and beyond. If you're a high performer in dental school, there are a ton of avenues to pursue. These avenues actually exist - orthodontics, OMFS, or go crazy and own several GPR sites as an independent owner/associate. If you're a high performer in pharmacy school, you will be told to apply to a "specialized" field in residency which has a ton of limitations in the real world. Two year residency to practice infectious diseases, nuclear, informatics residency? All the time you'll be lamenting the fact that your other pharmacy school classmates that barely got through with C's yet had the personalities and the good looks to squeak into retail pharmacy while pocketing at least 2x the salary during your years of residency...
Last statement is especially true. I am by no means "ugly" but I am not putting my job on the risk for someone whose a good suck up to the DM.

I love asking current pharmacists this question. You can find a lot of discussion about this on Reddit too. Another fun option is reading pharmacists interviews. I found a site that looks like they occasionally post them (pharmacyscholar.com). It's important to know before spending lots of time in school! Especially an expensive school that requires lots of working with the public.

It depends what you like and how passionate you truly are about it!! Someone please answer my forum!! I need help im freshmen and freaking out !!

Members don't see this ad :)
After having graduated a year ago and now in the middle of my second pharmacy job I honestly regret it.

The retail pharmacists I see crack me up. I've seen guys whose movements have become robotic. I've seen complete corporate bitches. Met idiots who explode on people for the smallest thing. Met a complete nutcase before and met a girl on benzos who called out sick because of the job. And conversely I've heard of a guy not do anything at a busy store and tell people he is a "guest pharmacist."

Granted I get stressed out as well but at the end of the day I don't care and go home. The ones with any mind at all leave the retail idiocy. Chain retail is a circus. I will probably stay with this bull**** until a year is over and then look for another job. No self respecting person would deal with this stupidity long term. Most of the people in it have screws loose and are fvked up in the head.

I have built some connections over this year and I plan on using them. I cannot take years of understaffing, narcotic seekers, corporate ******s telling me to sell shots (everything is a commodity to them), crazy customers and ****ty hardware and software always breaking down. There is nothing enjoyable about this job. Sure you might meet decent coworkers and help out some appreciative people but I'm not going to stay half an hour to 2 hours late (yes I've worked with a staff rph so stayed 2 hours late without OT pay) to clean up the mess that could've been avoided if there was proper staffing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
After having graduated a year ago and now in the middle of my second pharmacy job I honestly regret it.

The retail pharmacists I see crack me up. I've seen guys whose movements have become robotic. I've seen complete corporate bitches. Met idiots who explode on people for the smallest thing. Met a complete nutcase before and met a girl on benzos who called out sick because of the job. And conversely I've heard of a guy not do anything at a busy store and tell people he is a "guest pharmacist."

Granted I get stressed out as well but at the end of the day I don't care and go home. The ones with any mind at all leave the retail idiocy. Chain retail is a circus. I will probably stay with this bull**** until a year is over and then look for another job. No self respecting person would deal with this stupidity long term. Most of the people in it have screws loose and are fvked up in the head.

I have built some connections over this year and I plan on using them. I cannot take years of understaffing, narcotic seekers, corporate ******s telling me to sell shots (everything is a commodity to them), crazy customers and ****ty hardware and software always breaking down. There is nothing enjoyable about this job. Sure you might meet decent coworkers and help out some appreciative people but I'm not going to stay half an hour to 2 hours late (yes I've worked with a staff rph so stayed 2 hours late without OT pay) to clean up the mess that could've been avoided if there was proper staffing.

Out of curiosity, any idea what field/job you would leave retail for?

In few weeks, i starts pharmacy school and i am seriously questioning my decision of going in it. I so agree with this post, being in retail i see this everyday. I work with some of the most evil people.. Customers/people are okay but its my coworker who makes my life miserable.. I have always been person who likes to work on their away from others, which definitely isn't possible in pharmacy profession...Plus the school i am going to hella expensive, 200 K when i graduate. Why i am going there?? Family reasons.. I am seriously thinking on taking year off to figure out this and to see if there is some other profession i can go to..

In few weeks, i starts pharmacy school and i am seriously questioning my decision of going in it. I so agree with this post, being in retail i see this everyday. I work with some of the most evil people.. Customers/people are okay but its my coworker who makes my life miserable.. I have always been person who likes to work on their away from others, which definitely isn't possible in pharmacy profession...Plus the school i am going to hella expensive, 200 K when i graduate. Why i am going there?? Family reasons.. I am seriously thinking on taking year off to figure out this and to see if there is some other profession i can go to..

I've found that most people who are unhappy with the profession fall into two categories.

a) They have a mental image of themselves that isn't reflective of reality. Most commonly this can be seen in prospective students who proclaim they have a "passion" for pharmacy. They repeat this little pop-phrase to themselves and end up deluding themselves into thinking it was simply meant to be. In reality, very few people have a real passion for their job. When they realize that their job isn't satisfying them in a way they thought it would, things turn south quickly and they often become bitter.

or b) the job doesn't match what they thought it would be. It isn't a glamorous job and there's often very little autonomy in terms of your contribution to patient care. Pharmacy schools, parents, and news columns can be blamed for this disconnect. You'll be marching to the beat of someone else's drum, whether it be the district manager's or the physician's. Some people just can't get over that.

Your problem doesn't seem to fall into either category. There will always be co-workers you don't get along with or irrational customers/patients who will make your job harder than it should be. How much you have to tolerate will depend completely on your willingness to relocate and go job-hunting.

In terms of finances, sure, it's not what it used to be. Loans are higher and salaries are stagnating (though your loans will be particularly high). I would still place pharmacy fairly high up in terms of compensation over the amount of work/responsibility they have. Yeah, there's obviously more lucrative jobs such as possibly computer engineers or options traders, but it's still pretty damn good for healthcare.

However, I went into pharmacy because I knew I'd be good at the job and because of the money. I had no illusions about what the job entailed. Although I do not currently work in retail, I know what my limits are and that I'd be fine working there. Your reason for entering pharmacy doesn't seem to be very strong and you're going along with the opinions of your family rather than actively looking for an occupation you'd like.

How'd you decide on pharmacy in the first place? When you decided to go to pharmacy school did you have work experience in a pharmacy? What was your expectations for your career (were you set in living in a specific area)? It sounds like your work environment is horrible. I'm sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How'd you decide on pharmacy in the first place? When you decided to go to pharmacy school did you have work experience in a pharmacy? What was your expectations for your career (were you set in living in a specific area)? It sounds like your work environment is horrible. I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm a floater so I'm at all kinds of different places picking up all kinds of different shifts.

The store where I originally was an intern at was a chill store for the most part.

Not too many crazy customers, decent staff, not too many narcotics etc. Yeah it would get busy but nothing super crazy.

Ironically they have never sent me back there even once since I became a pharmacist.

I wanted to become a night rph if I stayed in retail or find work in a hospital or mail order or something. But the only work I've been able to get is in retail as a floater and I'm in one of the most saturated areas. knowing how absolutely dead the job market is I'm thankful to have a job but it just doesn't suit me. I thought I wouldn't mind working in retail but I don't like the fact that people can be ridiculous and so can management. I just had a heated exchange with an idiot store manager at the store I was just at. I don't tolerate disrespect and half of this job seems to be dealing with disrespect.

Hopefully my experiences can help as I've been involved in both the community, hospital and specialized pharmacy opportunities and am a relatively recent graduate. During pharmacy school I worked at Walgreens as an intern and that experience was not enjoyable for me. Some people really excel in that setting but I was very frustrated with the constraints placed on me and barriers to care patients faced on a daily basis. Unfortunately there was a lot of pressure to perform quickly and if the quality suffered then that is on you. Some people love that type of thing, I am not one of them. If I had not worked hard to open up other options for me in the profession, I am sure I would be regretting my decision to pursue pharmacy (even if I was bringing in the $$).

Once I graduated I applied to a few residencies and was fortunate to match at a VA. Although the application process was stressful and a lot of work, I was very happy with my decision. Of course all residencies are not created equal but I enjoyed the variation in what I did day to day, whether it was working in the clinic managing chronic diseases, acute care rounds or policy development. I like a challenge so that was a breath of fresh air for me. Of course you take a hit for a year on salary (still plenty to live on) doing this but in my case I was willing to do that for some investment in my education.

I then found during this residency year that I loved infectious diseases (which is strange since I hated it in pharmacy school, probably due to a poor professor). So I decided I would stay on and do a PGY-2 in ID which was a great experience. I had concerns becoming too specialized but I wanted to follow what I was most interested in. All of my co-residents got positions when I decided to do this so taking another salary hit was tough. My residency was in a metropolitan area so things are pretty saturated (I think there are now at least 4 pharmacy schools here). About 20% of the residents found a job in the city they wanted, the others moved to alternate locations in both staffing and clinical positions.

I am now staffing for the same hospital. I had multiple opportunities after completing my PGY-2 to work as an ID pharmacist in many different states however I was not ready to leave the city yet due to family obligations etc. I don't enjoy staffing as much as the more specialized work I trained for however I do have plenty of opportunities to apply what I learned and assist co-workers in my current position. I am just starting my career and will continue to work towards my dream job.

There is a lot of negativity regarding the future of pharmacy and I understand those arguments. I personally have seen some warnings of reduced staffing hours in chains and the increase in schools really spooks a lot of people here. I do not regret my decision one bit. I recommend considering why you want to pursue pharmacy as a career and rein in your expectations. If it is just for a good salary, working less hours than an MD and clocking in/clocking out then you may not be too happy with the outlook of pharmacy. You will still find a job in all likelihood but the positions with less stress are few and far between. Landing a dream job takes hard work, networking and some luck and does not just happen overnight. If you are flexible then that opportunity may come sooner. There are absolutely jobs out there if you are flexible, even just for a few years.

P.S. Pharmacy school was a great time for me. I am still very close with many of the friends I made during that time even when they moved across the country. I saw pharmacy school as an extension of my college career and I took full advantage of that. You only have a limited amount of time to experience your early to mid 20's!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Very good post. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get a residency, but if not I'm perfectly fine with working in retail. I like the fast-paced nature of it. Sometimes it can be overwhelming but with the right help it can be rewarding getting a lot of work done with coworkers.

All the jobs I have worked have never been through online applications. Those never worked. All in person, cold-call, etc.

I know this post is a little old, but that's really surprising to me. I've never gotten an RPh job by cold-calling; in fact, everyone I've talked to says NOT to cold-call because it's annoying to hiring managers. Every job I've had since residency, I got via an online application.

Anyway, back on topic: Pharmacy school is one of the best things I've ever done, no joke. I made some lifelong friends, I love what I do, I go home every day feeling like I made a difference, and I have an excellent work/life balance.

However... I cannot, in good conscience, encourage others to go to pharmacy school right now. The job market is abysmal and shows no sign of improvement - if anything, it's getting worse - and some of the people who are supposed to be our biggest advocates are working against us. *cough*APhA*cough*

Now I'm really nervous.
I work as a tech in a hospital and love pharmacy, but I'm not in a family position where I can just not get a job or get paid way less.

Now I'm really nervous.
I work as a tech in a hospital and love pharmacy, but I'm not in a family position where I can just not get a job or get paid way less.

If I were you, I'd give serious consideration to staying a tech.

If I were you, I'd give serious consideration to staying a tech.

I've already paid for most of my prerecs though.

I've already paid for most of my prerecs though.

Sunk cost fallacy. Just because you have paid for your prereqs doesn't necessarily mean it's worth it to pay another $200k+ (via loans) and spend another 4 years for a profession with terrible job prospects. Most schools give you a full refund if you drop your classes by a certain time.

Sunk cost fallacy. Just because you have paid for your prereqs doesn't necessarily mean it's worth it to pay another $200k+ (via loans) and spend another 4 years for a profession with terrible job prospects. Most schools give you a full refund if you drop your classes by a certain time.

Yes, this. School doesn't start for what, two months or so? You could definitely get your money back if you drop the classes now.

Yes, this. School doesn't start for what, two months or so? You could definitely get your money back if you drop the classes now.

I've already taken the pre recs through! Honestly I was pretty dead set on becoming a pharmacist before I got on this forum. Maybe I should do some more research.

I know this post is a little old, but that's really surprising to me. I've never gotten an RPh job by cold-calling; in fact, everyone I've talked to says NOT to cold-call because it's annoying to hiring managers. Every job I've had since residency, I got via an online application.

However... I cannot, in good conscience, encourage others to go to pharmacy school right now. The job market is abysmal and shows no sign of improvement - if anything, it's getting worse - and some of the people who are supposed to be our biggest advocates are working against us. *cough*APhA*cough*

It was a mix of emailing and calling. Online never works is my main point but this is retail in a saturated area where you get hundreds of applications for 1 position. I called and traveled all over in person, went right up to pharmacies asking for an opening/job in person as a tech/intern until eventually got it, then got hired internally, then got laid off because of saturation and competition, then called a pharmacy for manager's email, sent email, got new job.

I also can't say do pharmacy. Though I can't really recommend much else besides PA, dentistry, or med school but most prepharmers aren't qualified for those so try and be a cop!

Very good read! I can attest that I know academia have talked about this in their meetings already, the worsening job market and schools trying new things are a response to that. The very fact you see more dual-degree programs is clear evidence academia knows there's job saturation. If you don't recognize the truth and the schools savoring over your $$ does and does so pretty openly out there, then you're a lost kid!

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drug-topics/news/signs-weakening-pharmacist-job-market?page=0,0

I've already taken the pre recs through! Honestly I was pretty dead set on becoming a pharmacist before I got on this forum. Maybe I should do some more research.

So you spend more time researching on what car, phone to buy but not on a 250K education taking up >4 years of your life and lifelong? Makes total sense honestly.

It was a mix of emailing and calling. Online never works is my main point but this is retail in a saturated area where you get hundreds of applications for 1 position. I called and traveled all over in person, went right up to pharmacies asking for an opening/job in person as a tech/intern until eventually got it, then got hired internally, then got laid off because of saturation and competition, then called a pharmacy for manager's email, sent email, got new job.

I also can't say do pharmacy. Though I can't really recommend much else besides PA, dentistry, or med school but most prepharmers aren't qualified for those so try and be a cop!

Very good read! I can attest that I know academia have talked about this in their meetings already, the worsening job market and schools trying new things are a response to that. The very fact you see more dual-degree programs is clear evidence academia knows there's job saturation. If you don't recognize the truth and the schools savoring over your $$ does and does so pretty openly out there, then you're a lost kid!

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drug-topics/news/signs-weakening-pharmacist-job-market?page=0,0

So you spend more time researching on what car, phone to buy but not on a 250K education taking up >4 years of your life and lifelong? Makes total sense honestly.
Or maybe I'm busy helping my family. And I have talked to plenty of pharmacist who say it's a good job. My late mom was a pharmacist, but I need to do more research on the outlook of pharmacy. I'm a pharm tech and work in a pharmaceutical lab, and from what I have seen, even from pharm students in my home town is that pharmacy is a good choice if you know what you're going into.

Okay....I graduated in 2010 so here is my 2 cents:

1. Go into pharmacy if you love it....if it's your passion and calling in life...I will never discourage you.

2. Don't go in it for the money or the job prospects---those are disappearing fast. A few years ago....people kept saying "well you can always do retail." Wrong, those jobs are drying up. I work for Walgreens and we have a bunch of interns all the time. The ones that just got licensed last year are still struggling for hours. Retail is not a given anymore. Some will say "well you can always relocate." See, that used to be a thing. Now, those jobs are drying up as well. After 2008, many of my classmates went to these areas for jobs and I can only imagine that trend has increased over the years.

3. Do PA or NP-----this is the future. You have heard it before. NPs and PAs are taking over primary care....there won't be any robots or software that can replace clinical decisions and diagnosis. They can't have people remotely diagnose someone. These jobs should be solid for a very long time. Pharmacists? I don't know. There are automated dispensing robots and cabinets that dispense medications much more accurately than pharmacists. Walgreens has experimented with POWER in the the past. They are rolling out with PHLEX now. The corporate bigwigs will always try to cut back pharmacy labor costs and automation will be key...REMOTE verification will be key. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future----they would outsource this to India and have remote verification there----much like what is slowly happening to Radiology/radiologists.

Weigh your options carefully....don't commit 200-300k and then regret it later. When I give advices to potential students---they think I'm trying to prevent them from going to pharmacy school. No, if you don't go...someone else will go anyway. There is nothing that I can say or anyone on here can say to change this scary trend of multiple schools opening up and diploma mills and countless graduates each year. If you think that I can stop that....let me tell you...I cannot. It's already happening and is out of my control.

Or maybe I'm busy helping my family. And I have talked to plenty of pharmacist who say it's a good job. My late mom was a pharmacist, but I need to do more research on the outlook of pharmacy. I'm a pharm tech and work in a pharmaceutical lab, and from what I have seen, even from pharm students in my home town is that pharmacy is a good choice if you know what you're going into.

It's a good job if you can get a job... which is already difficult and will be much harder in 2020. Back when I was applying to pharmacy school, everyone was so sure that MTM was going to open up new roles for us and with the Baby Boomers getting older and sicker we'd not only have loads of new patients but loads of Boomer pharmacists would retire and someone would need to replace them. Then MTM reimbursements turned out to be crap and no one hired MTM pharmacists, the economy took a crap and Boomers couldn't afford to retire, and a bazillion crappy new schools opened up and flooded the market with new grads. In other words, anyone who tells you that this is a good time to go to pharmacy school is full of crap.

Reactions: 3 users

I would talk to current pharmacists and students...not your mom. Pharmacy has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. I agree that it can be good if you know what you're getting into and if you are able to find a job...but that can be said of anything in life.

All these pharmacists on the forums be like

"What? You mean patients are rude to me and I can't live a luxurious life in California and or New York City? What?!?! I have to go to a rural area WITHOUT a Cheesecake Factory to find work?! Pharmacy is TERRIBLE, i wish someone would have told me we would have to have provided customer service to people, oh no, I've been tricked, this is hackz, I hate my 120k/year salary, it's terrible!"

Dude, clinic peeps have to deal with that on a daily basis. How do u think nurses feel? At least ur patients don't poop all over u, in addition to being jerks.

Seriously guys, pharmacy is not a bad profession, CVS is not the black abyss. Y'all need hobbies to keep yourselves happy.

Edit: I feel sorry for the Optometry folks. They have to cobble together part time work, and many of them can't even break 100k. At least pharmacists don't have 1800 contacts.

Last edited:

"What? You mean patients are rude to me and I can't live a luxurious life in California and or New York City? What?!?! I have to go to a rural area WITHOUT a Cheesecake Factory to find work?! Pharmacy is TERRIBLE, i wish someone would have told me we would have to have provided customer service to people, oh no, I've been tricked, this is hackz, I hate my 120k/year salary, it's terrible!"

Dude, clinic peeps have to deal with that on a daily basis. How do u think nurses feel? At least ur patients don't poop all over u, in addition to being jerks.

Seriously guys, pharmacy is not a bad profession, CVS is not the black abyss. Y'all need hobbies to keep yourselves happy.

Edit: I feel sorry for the Optometry folks. They have to cobble together part time work, and many of them can't even break 100k. At least pharmacists don't have 1800 contacts.
It's pretty bad right now

Concensus of most pharmacists is that things are pretty awful right now

I'm an optometrist and I have a twin who is a pharmacist. She initially earned much more than I did but now I'm earning more. She hates her job with commercial pharmacy and when she gets asked what her job is or what it's like, she jokes "I get yelled at for a living." A lot of the outpatient pharmacists I meet as friends or patients say the same things, and a lot of them take anti-depressants. My job is easy and I get to sit and do varied tasks. My sister just stands all day, wears pressure leggings, and gets physically exhausted at the end of her shifts. True story.

I spent the first 2-2.5 years of pharmacy school regretting my decision of going to pharmacy school, then found something I really enjoyed.

I originally went into pharmacy because I liked science, but couldn't get into a good med school (which seems to be a more common reason than not, as awful as that sounds) -- if this speaks to you at all, you should really reflect on yourself before committing to three/four years of pharmacy school.

I spent the first 2-2.5 years of pharmacy school regretting my decision of going to pharmacy school, then found something I really enjoyed.

I originally went into pharmacy because I liked science, but couldn't get into a good med school (which seems to be a more common reason than not, as awful as that sounds) -- if this speaks to you at all, you should really reflect on yourself before committing to three/four years of pharmacy school.

Did you not search for the holy grail of all healthcare specialties (dentistry) before deciding?!

Seriously tho, dentists have an excellent life

I'm an optometrist and I have a twin who is a pharmacist. She initially earned much more than I did but now I'm earning more. She hates her job with commercial pharmacy and when she gets asked what her job is or what it's like, she jokes "I get yelled at for a living." A lot of the outpatient pharmacists I meet as friends or patients say the same things, and a lot of them take anti-depressants. My job is easy and I get to sit and do varied tasks. My sister just stands all day, wears pressure leggings, and gets physically exhausted at the end of her shifts. True story.
I'm honestly more angry as a person than ever before

I really don't tolerate nonsense

what is it that you enjoy?

I've been doing this job for a year and the only thing I enjoy is leaving at the end of my shift

I'm honestly more angry as a person than ever before

I really don't tolerate nonsense

what is it that you enjoy?

I've been doing this job for a year and the only thing I enjoy is leaving at the end of my shift

Consider doing a residency and working in a hospital as a non-outpatient pharmacist? A lot of the residents and specialty pharmacists I meet in my facility seem way happier than their commercial counterparts. I've tried getting my sister to work in the hospital system I work for, but she said she always struggled in that facet of her rotations.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: You will regret becoming a pharmacist for the rest of your life.

I graduated from MWU CoP back in 2013 and the profession is just getting worse and worse by the day. Gone were the days of true 1.5x overtime- I heard t in the early 2000s. In the past three years they lowered the overtime (base rate + $10) down to a measly base + $5. Here in Las Vegas, all new hires are starting at $50/hr with no guarantee of hours. All hired floaters that were working 80 hours are now cut to 64. Raises are non existent, insurance is more expensive, less tech hours less help.

I'm lucky I still have a full time job...but my annual salary has been lowered by $7600/yr effective 2 weeks ago. I especially feel bad for the students graduating this year. Where will they work? Many are from California where the market is even more saturated and now Vegas is overflowing with pharmacists as well. I have friends that graduated from Roseman 2014 and 2015 that still do not have jobs. They are literally living with their parents and have given up on looking for jobs. A classmate of mine got layed off earlier this year (hospital pharmacist in Kansas) and have been unemployed for 5 months jumping between jobs waiting tables and serving alcohol. She's losing hair thinking about her 200k debt and is considering stripping (we think she is just kidding) but who knows anymore. To be continued...

I wonder if pharmacy is the only profession right now where the professionals are actively telling people not to bother pursing that career. I guess law too, if any of the posts I've seen on here are to go by.

Granted, I don't really read the other forums but I've never seen more people crap on their own profession than pharmacy at SDN. Not pointing any fingers, just throwing in my observation.

geez, thanks for giving me so much to look forward to. looks like I'll have a bright future ahead of me! I'll be graduating in 2020 so that's when things will be EVEN better!!! :D
too bad though, I already got accepted and did all this hard work to get into pharmacy school

If you cut your losses now, all that hard work so far will be for nothing.

If you don't cut your losses now, then all that hard work PLUS all that hard work in 4 years in pharmacy school and $200k+ debt will be for nothing.

I have friends that graduated from Roseman 2014 and 2015 that still do not have jobs. They are literally living with their parents and have given up on looking for jobs. A classmate of mine got layed off earlier this year (hospital pharmacist in Kansas) and have been unemployed for 5 months jumping between jobs waiting tables and serving alcohol. She's losing hair thinking about her 200k debt and is considering stripping (we think she is just kidding) but who knows anymore. To be continued...
LOL on the Roseman University shout-out. I squabbled with a guy on the pre-pharmacy forums and then I found out he got accepted to UofWyoming, Roseman, etc. I congratulated him on getting into a super-cheap state school ($16K/year at Uof Wyoming) but it looks like he's now dead-set on going to Roseman. This is in spite of the advice I gave him. :eek:

It's sad when you realize you just can't reason with people. In spite of SDN Pharmacy's best efforts you just can't fix the following:
  • People who say they are PASSIONATE™ about pharmacy, but have never worked in one.
  • People who have never worked a day in the real world. These are snotty punks proclaiming they WORKED HARD™ to get into pharmacy school.:heckyeah: People need to realize that getting a job and maintaining employment is more difficult than getting accepted into some third-rate pharmacy school.
  • People who will go to an expensive, private college (greedy schools gotta max out that 220K loan limit!) :wow:
  • People who refuse to work and build an employment history before or during pharmacy school. Life is hard. Get used to it.
  • People who complain about stupid **** like how they don't want to be a doctor or nurse because they don't want see blood or clean poo. Guess what? You're gonna end up doing something unpleasant (standing up for hours in retail, getting dissed by doctors and nurses in the hospital) when you're making that $50/hour paycheck. :nono:

Who cares anymore? Everybody knows the job market is saturated. The ones who are still going are subpar students. If they are well informed and had spent more time researching their career than the latest iPhone, they wouldn't be in this mess. But then again, these are subpar students. What option (s) do they really have? This is their chance to make a 6 figure income. So what if it is getting harder and harder to do so!? So what if most retail pharmacists hated their job even when it was still good?! It is not like they can make that kind of income washing test tubes, working as a pharmacy technician. Do you think those test tube washers are content with their lives? Might as well make $100 k doing something you hate.

If you have jacked up grades, this saturation has actually helped you. You wouldn't have this chance 10 years ago when it was actually competitive to get accepted. The admission standards have been dropping like a rock because these schools need your tuition money in order to keep the lights on. It is not because you have excellent recommendation letters. It is not because you have worked 10 years as a pharmacy technician. It is because you have a big, green dollar sign on your forehead. You and three of your classmates can feed a professor for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
You need to ask yourself, "why is it so easy to get accepted nowadays?". Seriously, why is it so easy? If this profession is so good and there are so many opportunities, don't you think it would be harder to get accepted?

You have to do me a favor. You have to report to us your experience after a couple of weeks of pharmacy school. I know there are some hard nose pre-pharmacy students who think we are lying to them and we are just protecting our livelihood. So yeah, do me a favor and report back to us. Tell everyone how is it like to be a pharmacy student.

"The predicted saturation actually occurred and it was much worse than most people ever expected. The new jobs we were trained for never materialized, the baby boomers never retired, the economy tanked, retail expansion has stalled, giant chains are buying each other out and laying off employees. The jobs you can find pay less, have poorer benefits, worse hours, and borderline dangerous conditions. If you speak to older pharmacists who have been at the same job for decades, they may even tell you it is a good profession, but they don't know what it's like to try to find a job in this market in 2016. If you are going to take on six-figure debt you really need to understand what you are getting yourself into. This is one of the largest decisions you will ever make in your life, so please make sure you are well informed."

and all the pre-pharmers be like

"bitch I got passion"

Look at the trends on the pharmacy manpower website. Nationally supply of pharmacists is greater than the demand. Some regions are particularly bad. This is a trend that has been progressing for a decade and has shown no hint of slowing down. It's probably going to get much, much worse.

http://pharmacymanpower.com/trends.jsp

You need to ask yourself, "why is it so easy to get accepted nowadays?". Seriously, why is it so easy? If this profession is so good and there are so many opportunities, don't you think it would be harder to get accepted?

You have to do me a favor. You have to report to us your experience after a couple of weeks of pharmacy school. I know there are some hard nose pre-pharmacy students who think we are lying to them and we are just protecting our livelihood. So yeah, do me a favor and report back to us. Tell everyone how is it like to be a pharmacy student.

I have known many people who 5-10 years ago i would say good luck sniffing the pharmacy school door to now being accepted. I don't know anyone who isn't accepted to some school somewhere. I'm talking these people failed so many classes multiple times, retook probably 7 different courses. One girl i know got into the newer pharm school with a 2.47 gpa! Enough said. Anyone and their mom can be a pharmacist.

There are only a couple reasons why anyone now would even consider pharmacy
1) the uninformed, still thinking it's easy 100k 9-5 no weekends signing bonus people
2) has so much passion for pharmacy they cant do anything else
3) no other choice, either pharmacy or stocking groceries at local market

I hope i can save and inform the uninformed people from making this huge mistake. None of those exist, it's not worth it. You probably wont even make 100k. I have many friends that graduated 2013/2014 working 8-24h a week struggling to find any work. For those that have so much passion that cant do anything else (i cant think there can be that many) then whatever im not going to stop you. However, what is it about making recommendations, filling drugs, answering phones, etc that you are so passionate about? You can do PA or something where you can make those drug recs...AND have a choice to follow through with them. YAY. For the last group, im not sure at this point if retail pharmacy is that much different from stocking groceries. At least one youre not in 200k debt and probably has more job demand lol. All in all people, listen to the advice of people who has been in this. At this point, going to pharmacy school would be like majoring in social studies degree at a very expensive private university...it's just dumb. Ive been in this game for 8 yrs, it went from good to crapola in a matter of years. I hella regret it. Thanks.