do you send recommendations after secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all :),
I wanted to check up on something: whenever you send a secondary to a school, are you then supposed to have your university send your recommendation letters as well? I thought you should, but I looked over some of the secondaries I had done, and they just ask if you are going to have a committee recommendation, they don't say "send us the recs now." It seems like you should just send the recommendations right away, but I don't want to send info that isn't wanted yet... is this a case by case basis thing, or is there a general rule?

Thanks for any info, since I am probably overlooking the obvious with all the paperwork I have here. I hope everyone is having fun filling out secondaries. :D

P.S. Sorry about the long-winded question!

Members don't see this ad.

I would send out the recs as soon as you send in the secondary.

I know that University of Washington MD/PhD specifically does NOT want you to send in recs until they are specifically asked for, but for nearly every other program its just implied that they want your recs if they give you a secondary.

Thanks for the reply! That does make sense. :)