Do you think Anatomy is harder than most pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustintheDoctor

High functioning FeelsOpath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking anatomy but I was wondering if it's just as hard(maybe a "weed out" class) as Ochem or physics? Anyone take both, what's your opinion?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Truthfully I've never taken an official anatomy/physio class but I don't think intro anatomy would be a weed out class.

Most pre-meds would be really excited to study anatomy, and I think they would consequently do pretty well. In contrast, they are not as often excited to study ochem or physics. Especially the latter. I hated physics.

It's actually not even a pre-req for the majority of med schools, so I assume you mean pre-req for your major?

Reactions: 1 user
Truthfully I've never taken an official anatomy/physio class but I don't think intro anatomy would be a weed out class.

Most pre-meds would be really excited to study anatomy, and I think they would consequently do pretty well. In contrast, they are not as often excited to study ochem or physics. Especially the latter. I hated physics.

It's actually not even a pre-req for the majority of med schools, so I assume you mean pre-req for your major?
Well, yes. I meant like I have to take it for my major, but would it be harder than the pre-reqs for med school? Sorry if I made it confusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school anatomy is the #1 weed out class. It is extremely difficult and built off the model that medical schools use. However I'm sure it is very school dependent.

When I took anatomy it was divided between a lecture class and a lab class with cadavers for dissection. The lecture, which was learning mainly about the diff tissue types and organ system functions, was a breeze. The lab was a HUGE time sink, because some things you just need to see in the flesh (pun intended) to really know how to identify. I wouldn't call anatomy "hard" in the sense of some engineering or math courses where sometimes you just don't get it. But definitely hard in devoting enough time and mental resources to the course, which is really the biggest hurdle to conquer for M1 from what I've heard.

Basically: make sure to have enough time in your schedule to devote to it, go to extra lab sessions if they're available, and you should do fine.

100% Entirely dependent on your school and specific professor.

Edit just to provide some perspective on how different classes can be even within the SAME school there were two physiology classes at my school as an ex. The "Honors" version was a brutal class which consisted of top students and the professor taught at the school's medical school and basically copied his notes from those classes to this undergrad version. He basically expected undergrad to know 80-90% of what the medical students he taught would be expected to know. Ruthless class but he curved it so half the class got an A- or higher.

On the otherhand I had a typical physiology class in my school with 200 students. Much simpler but the grading distribution was also harsher(only 20-25% or so got to the A- or higher level).

I also took a neuroanatomy class in undergrad which was basically modeled to be about what we would expect in medical school(and former students in med school now say that class taught about 85% of what you would learn in a neuro class in medical school). Another brutal class but favorable curve distribution where about 35% got an A/A- and 70% at least a B-. There were alternate lighter versions of anatomy also with stricter curves(ie curve the class average to a C/C+).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Totally dependent on your institution. It's 4000 level course at my university. Questions were harder for sure due to the volume and my prof was an MD/PHD.

At my school anatomy is the #1 weed out class. It is extremely difficult and built off the model that medical schools use. However I'm sure it is very school dependent.
I'm going to contact my school and see if the class is also built on a med-school model, thanks for the input!

Thanks for the help everyone! I truly appreciate it.

I will be taking anatomy but I was wondering if it's just as hard(maybe a "weed out" class) as Ochem or physics? Anyone take both, what's your opinion?

Thanks.
Personally it was more difficult than ochem or biochem but mostly bc I like the latter subjects. If you're into rote memorization without learning about mechanisms or pathways then you would enjoy anatomy. (Mine didn't have much physiology so it was unpleasant)

People always have more trouble with structures+ concepts than pure structures + brute memory.

I'd sure like Anatomy to be a pre-req!

Thanks.

People always have more trouble with structures+ concepts than pure structures + brute memory.

I'd sure like Anatomy to be a pre-req!
I always felt that learning the biochemistry or detailed function of systems helped memory more than memorizing a labeled diagram where the words hold little significance because of the connections/associations you can make

Depends on the school and the professor. I had undergrad anatomy with adjunct faculty that were very clinically focused, so it wasn't bad. If you've got it with a PhD anatomist though, well... Watch out, because they take it very seriously.

I think chem is the weed out class at my school, though I know of many who struggled with the two levels of A&P as well.

I loved A&P because there are almost no abstract concepts to understand (with the exception of nerve impulses, which is tricky for some people). The real structures can be seen via dissection in a lab. In this sense, I found chem a bit harder because it was initially difficult for me to visualize electron orbitals and orgo molecules. I need to see something to get it.

The most difficult thing about anatomy is that you will be taught one way, but tested in a novel way. Whether it's flipping the images used in lecture, tying in abnormal function, or just plain old abusing your spatial memory.

I took A&P 1 and 2 and found them to be mostly memorization, but I did take them at a CC. The amount of memorization required for A&P makes it different than what I've experienced thus far in my chemistry coursework (combo of memorization and conceptualization of abstract ideas). Most of the pre-med/dental/professional kids I took classes with were weeded out in Chem 1 and Chem 2 (class averages were around 71-73). I'll be starting orgo in 3 days...

Check out Rate My Professors for your specific institution.

I don't like A&P. It was all memorization, so I thought I could get away with not studying. I'm still salty about my B in A&P2...easiest science class so far and I dookied it up! :drowning::drowning::drowning::drowning::drowning: