Do you think it would be wise to get a Letter of Rec from my toxic workplace?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nokaryote

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey, Good afternoon everyone,

Question is in the thread title! My workplace is pretty toxic. Me and my Chief Dental Officer do not see eye to eye. I can't stand his lead any longer honestly because he uses bullying techniques to get his way and I just do not feel that patient care is truly at the forefront of his clinic care (he reprimanded me for helping my severely overworked dental assistant clean up OPs and other tasks because "that's the assistant's job and not yours buddy"). He's the type of boss that "leads" from the back with a leather whip and chain, if you catch my drift.

However, my Chief Medical Officer is probably the person I respect the most in my entire life, since he is extremely patient centric, super-ethical, and just the way he speaks about healthcare and patient health, you can tell he is just a true leader that I just want to emulate in personality in it's entirety. Like seriously guys, he is like the real dealio, and he is extremely fantastic to work under, and I'm not the only one who says that too, everyone loves him because is just such an inspiring and great guy. I enjoy working really hard because his dedication to the community health is very inspiring and he really makes you feel like you make a difference.

Ok enough fanboying, back on topic, He knows that I work incredibly hard, I do things that go above and beyond for our clinic. Thankfully, he is also aware of this; as my patients have been giving me absolutely superb reviews, and my schedule shows that I get through a lot of patients and a lot of definitive treatment for them.

I would like a Letter of recommendation from my Chief Medical Officer for Medical school but I am worried that my Dental Officer as soon as he hears word that I am trying for Med school he will try everything in his power to make that not happen. Actually I am actually sorta worried that he has already started this and it wouldn't surprise me if he has told my CMO some horrible lies or something, he has already done far worse things to me.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Would it be wise to go directly to him and ask him, "Hey, what have you heard about me? And would you be willing to write a letter of rec for me?" Or should I just look elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your CMO understand that the CDO is like this? It might be worth a conversation to gauge whether he would take negative feedback from the CDO as retaliation vs real. I have had a boss like your CDO before and there were other people at that workplace who recognized his toxicity and didn't take his opinions on people seriously. You could communicate your concerns to the CMO and ask him not to share your plans with the CDO. You're a better judge of how that might go over than me since you're actually in the situation. If you have someone else who knows you well Goro may be right.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does your CMO understand that the CDO is like this? It might be worth a conversation to gauge whether he would take negative feedback from the CDO as retaliation vs real. I have had a boss like your CDO before and there were other people at that workplace who recognized his toxicity and didn't take his opinions on people seriously. You could communicate your concerns to the CMO and ask him not to share your plans with the CDO. You're a better judge of how that might go over than me since you're actually in the situation. If you have someone else who knows you well Goro may be right.
I am actually not sure if he know what the CDO is like. I do know the CDO really puts up this "Angel" act and takes a lot of the credit for things that I do in clinic, but I don't know if the CMO actually knows what is going on behind the closed doors. That's really good advice, I think I'll get in touch with the CMO, or I might bring it up with him outside of work since, thankfully, we both volunteer at the same special needs program. Can I ask what happened with you and your boss? Did everyone just tolerate him until he left?