Do your own research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vt hokie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I will start off by appologizing because I have had a bad day so I am not in a good mood. With that being said, can people please attempt to find the answer to their question before posting it. Most of the answers are very easy to find (like how to get fee waivers, update apps, and requirements for certain schools). Just go to the web site. It is all right there. The directions on the accomas web site help, too. They also list their number, so you can go straight to the source and get the most accurate information. Not to be mean, but some of the questions make me think that the person posting it probably should not be looking into med school. Again, I am sorry. I am usually a nice person.

Members don't see this ad.

vt hokie said:
Okay, I will start off by appologizing because I have had a bad day so I am not in a good mood. With that being said, can people please attempt to find the answer to their question before posting it. Most of the answers are very easy to find (like how to get fee waivers, update apps, and requirements for certain schools). Just go to the web site. It is all right there. The directions on the accomas web site help, too. They also list their number, so you can go straight to the source and get the most accurate information. Not to be mean, but some of the questions make me think that the person posting it probably should not be looking into med school. Again, I am sorry. I am usually a nice person.

What's up SDN police. People can ask what ever they want. Who are you to set rules of what is appropriate to ask. I also enjoyed your attempt to be an admissions committee, "Not to be mean, but some of the questions make me think that the person posting it probably should not be looking into med school."

I don't think vt hokie was trying to be rude, just expressing a feeling held my many others who surf this board. Sometimes new posts to questions are started one day after another, and I would agree that it gets somewhat annoying. That is a very small percent of the posts, but still can be frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also just want to note that the search feature has been up and down so it is hard to try to find things sometimes using the google search.

I understand that you guys are frustrated but its a wave of new applicants that happens every cycle. Not everyone knows the etiquette of a bulletin board and how to use it. There is a learning curve for some. ;) Although feel free to point them to a sticky to get more in-depth answers :D

speaking of search feature.... read my thread in pre-allo. They should make an advanced search feature so that people actually can search things for themselves.

EDIT: I am a *******

premed, 4 years of med school, 4 years of residency, and then your medical career: I'm sure you will never ask a medical question that could be answered from opening a book.
:rolleyes:

vt hokie said:
Not to be mean, but some of the questions make me think that the person posting it probably should not be looking into med school. Again, I am sorry. I am usually a nice person.

mshheaddoc said:
I also just want to note that the search feature has been up and down so it is hard to try to find things sometimes using the google search.

Yet, the search feature being down doesn't stop one from reading previous posts on their own. A lot of questions have been asked many times where the only thing necessary to do would have been to scroll a little farther down the page just to see an already existing thread. Sometimes you might have to go through a couple of pages to find your topic (it was posted two days ago) staring you right in tthe face.

In the rare instance that one actually has the time, s/he could simply scroll back to last year's application cycle and find all of the very same questions asked over and over again. I did that. Actually, I went back a lot of years just to see what has changed in all of that time. I found out that the vary same questions are still being asked eight years later.

Now, I'm not saying that it is improper to ask a question, but just because the "search" feature might have been down from time to time, doesn't excuse people from reading the FAQ or from actually looking a little beyond page one before they ask, "What's the best way to shadow a DO?"

Years of great posts have been built up on SDN, and it's a damned shame that so few people are smart enough to realize that the answers are already there. To me, part of the fun of it is looking up things on my own, and finding out what pre-meds or med students were talking about two and three years ago. It's not hard to turn the page and you can often get instant gratification, at the same time avoiding all the posts that crop up that have absolutely nothing to do with an answer to the original question-- i.e. The original question, then three posts that say, "Yeah, I was wondering the same thing," and two that say, "Hey, I see you're in Iowa. How's the weather in January?" then one that says, "Read the FAQ," and another that says, "Who are you to say what questions can be posted here?"

Bottom line-- a lot of it could be avoided with a little research, regardless of the status of the "search" function. No, it wouldn't be the personal answer that some folks seem to crave, but life won't always give you the personal answers you desire. Maybe it's best to learn that now.

OTOH, it is often quite entertaining to watch the bitching back and forth that occurs on here every time the same old question gets posted. It's just as violent as wrestling and about half as fake. I say go for it! Asking the silly question is an invitation to a brawl. If you want to do it, it's up to you. Just don't run crying when you hear, "Let's get ready to rummmmmmmbbbblllleeee" in the background.

HunterGatherer said:
premed, 4 years of med school, 4 years of rsidency, and then your medical career: I'm sure you will never ask a medical question that could be answered from opening a book.
:rolleyes:
Great Point!!!!!!! If you do not like a question, do not answer it. MSUCOM lists studentdoctor.net as a resource for information on the osteopathic profession. I did that research myself :D . That is what this site was designed for. There are plenty other blogs and forums for people who just want to chat about this and that. I don't understand why people create these threads to vent after a bad day. If you have to get online to vent your frustrations, you have bigger problems that a few "annoying" questions.

vt hokie said:

The Chokies suck.......GO DAWGS