"Doc Demands $5 During Heart Attack"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The above title was a link on the AOL main page today. That's the page AOLers go to to enter their mail. Here's the story:

http://www.thatsfit.com/2008/02/04/woman-asked-for-5-co-pay-during-heart-attack/

Now. It's clear that the link was reaching and trying to be provocative. When I clicked it I assumed they meant that the doctor was demanding money prior to rendering care and that it probably happened in an ED somewhere. Reading the story it becomes apparent it was a patient who was being sent via EMS from a clinic to an ED and it was a mistake on the part of one of the clerical staff. Just goes to show how people and the press love to mountainize molehills.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't most insurance companies stipulate the ED and PMD co-pays must be made at the time of visit? So she should have paid her co-pay in the ED. If she didn't have it, then I wouldn't pressure her for it, but simply asking for it is not a crime.

I like how they make it sound like the dr was demanding the money. But then glancing through the article, I don't remember anything about a dr being mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
So a receptionist asks for money the hospital is rightfully owed (at an albeit inappropriate time) and all of a sudden a Doc is effectively portrayed as standing over her with a 12 lead extorting some lady with a massive STEMI for lunch money.
Come on...

So a receptionist asks for money the hospital is rightfully owed (at an albeit inappropriate time) and all of a sudden a Doc is effectively portrayed as standing over her with a 12 lead extorting some lady with a massive STEMI for lunch money.
Come on...
Actually it was the receptionist at the clinic that sent the patient to the hospital.

Actually it was the receptionist at the clinic that sent the patient to the hospital.

You're right, when I read it I assumed the receptionist in question was the ED receptionist, not the PCP receptionist...
Although, I have to say, that only proves your point about the media stretching for a story.

You're right, when I read it I assumed the receptionist in question was the ED receptionist, not the PCP receptionist...
Although, I have to say, that only proves your point about the media stretching for a story.

You are not the only one that made that simple assumption.

mountainize molehills.

Was reading your post and this line made me laugh...just to let you know, I plan on copying it and playing it off as my own in real life...

sensationalised journalism!

The above title was a link on the AOL main page today. That's the page AOLers go to to enter their mail. Here's the story:

http://www.thatsfit.com/2008/02/04/woman-asked-for-5-co-pay-during-heart-attack/

Now. It's clear that the link was reaching and trying to be provocative. When I clicked it I assumed they meant that the doctor was demanding money prior to rendering care and that it probably happened in an ED somewhere. Reading the story it becomes apparent it was a patient who was being sent via EMS from a clinic to an ED and it was a mistake on the part of one of the clerical staff. Just goes to show how people and the press love to mountainize molehills.
The article itself doesn't imply anything about the doc demanding it; it seems more like that was AOL's spin on it from their own title. Or am I missing something?

Still, it DOES seems like a pretty inappropriate time for the receptionist to be billing the patient.

Your right. It doesn't imply it. It states it: Doc asks for 5 bucks.

A sad sad sad example of the state of 99% of journalism these day. Spin=readers=advertisors=money.

My class on journalism ethics I took in undergrad is obviously not taught anymore. ever. anywhere.

The article was kind of sad, frankly... but the most startling thing to me were the comments by people at the bottom. I made it through about four pages before I had to stop reading...

Oh... and as it turns out... we as doctors (or medical students, as it were...) are the devil.

Kinda like football is the devil.

I agree, I managed to read about 6 pages of comments. 9/10's were very negative and usually about how doctors made too much $.

"...come on people, we've all seen the cars they drive and the houses they live in...." was a common statement. The common misperception of "Doctor = Rich golfer" still unfortunately persists.

It was fairly disheartening to see all the negativity toward our profession, I almost felt like a lawyer.:rolleyes:

You and me both.

I would think a heart attack would be worth more like $25 bucks.

This is life or death here people!