Docs/Students/Applicants. Any helpful insights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackViper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Long time reader but kept away from SDN to calm my anxieties derived from these forums. Up until now I'm struck with one of the most difficult decisions I have to make. I consider myself a non-trad, though I am only 22 y/o. I would like some guidance in picking my UC options.

My ultimate goal is to stay in California to go to med school for free.
Therefore, I am striving very hard to stay in CA, 99% sure I want to stay here to avoid all debt cost.

A little info about me

-Joined USMC @ 17 years old
-5 going on 6 years, exiting June 2013
-Made decisions to pursue medicine in 2009
-Own a small part time business (building motorcycles)
-Currently a Community College student (High GPA)
-English Major
-Accepted to UCLA, UCI and UCR English programs (Class of 2014)
-100% G.I. Bill available
-Cal Vet Fee Waiver Available until 31 y/o
-Began shadowing and volunteering Oct 2011
-No Pre-reqs

My case/question now is:

Could any Attendings/Residents/Med Students/Applicants/NonTrads, please kindly give me insight to the following?

As an English major, if I go to UCLA or UCI, then most likely I will go to a Post-Bacc program to do my BCPM sequence because combining my major with sciences would realistically take too long at these universities and stress me out. I would like to avoid this route due to cost.

But, at UCR, I mapped it out to where I can finish my English degree concurrently with all the required BCPM in a 3 year (2012-2015) plan.

Either route will allow me to apply in the 2016 app cycle, but my main concerns pertain to the stuck up superficiality of UC/ California schools against UCR.

-I would honestly turn down UCLA to go to UCR.
-UCR is a great school with all the opportunities calling me out! IT saddens me, as a Cali Resident, to see UCR get knocked down by everyone I talk to.
-I don't want the UC's to judge me off a school reputation/prestige...and to not like to me when it comes down to Med school choices
-UCR is also opening a med school and I wouldn't mind attending, but I don't want my wife and kids to grow up so close to where I did (Inland Empire).

Any help or meaningful insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. You are a nontrad due to your military service.
2. I know nothing of UCR, so I can't advise you on that. Doing sciences separate as a postbac is often a good idea though -- you want to come out with a high science GPA more importantly than finish quickly.
3 for med school, it's hugely unrealistic to set your sights on a single school, or often a single competitive state. It's nice to want a California school, but as a nontrad you are likely going to want to apply to about 20 places, and be happy to get one.
4. You are going to need to have healthcare related ECs. This clinical exposure an unwritten requirement of med schools. The need to get this may impact the timing,

Can you explain how G.I. Bill works for medical school? What it would cover and what are the limitations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the good input!

For the GI Bill, it would cover the highest in-state public institution tuition/fees up to 36 months based on eligibility of time served; 36 months of service =100%, 30 months = 90% and so forth. For example, in California if you rate 100% of Post 9/11 GI Bill, then all your tuition is paid for, and you will also receive a monthly housing allowance 100% of the schools zip code (BAH Calculator). If you served less than 36 months (i.e., Reserves) then suppose you rate 80%, then you will receive 80% tuition and 80% monthly housing of the aforementioned. Thus the rest must come out of your pocket.

Also, take note that VA benefits can be used for 48 months, so when the Post 9/11 GI Bill 36 months benefit is exhausted, then you will have 12 remaining months for another resource if you are eligible.

In my case, I have the GI Bill at my disposal and more importantly the California Vet Fee Waiver which stipulates all public in-state tuition is waived of all cost, even public medical schools and graduate schools. This is only a resource extended to dependents of veterans who have been service-disabled (i.e., Shot or killed), and the benefit is extended to 31 years of age because I served as well. The 48 month rule for collecting these benefits does not apply, as one is federal and another is state, in which both can be collected simultaneously.

I hope this answers your question, there is further clarification on these sites should you feel interested to dig deeper.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/index.html
http://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Education.aspx

Last edited:
Hi All,

Long time reader but kept away from SDN to calm my anxieties derived from these forums. Up until now I’m struck with one of the most difficult decisions I have to make. I consider myself a non-trad, though I am only 22 y/o. I would like some guidance in picking my UC options.

My ultimate goal is to stay in California to go to med school for free.

Have you thought about Texas? California...

Thanks for all the good input!

For the GI Bill, it would cover the highest in-state public institution tuition/fees up to 36 months based on eligibility of time served; 36 months of service =100%, 30 months = 90% and so forth. For example, in California if you rate 100% of Post 9/11 GI Bill, then all your tuition is paid for, and you will also receive a monthly housing allowance 100% of the schools zip code (BAH Calculator). If you served less than 36 months (i.e., Reserves) then suppose you rate 80%, then you will receive 80% tuition and 80% monthly housing of the aforementioned. Thus the rest must come out of your pocket.

Also, take note that VA benefits can be used for 48 months, so when the Post 9/11 GI Bill 36 months benefit is exhausted, then you will have 12 remaining months for another resource if you are eligible.

In my case, I have the GI Bill at my disposal and more importantly the California Vet Fee Waiver which stipulates all public in-state tuition is waived of all cost, even public medical schools and graduate schools. This is only a resource extended to dependents of veterans who have been service-disabled (i.e., Shot or killed), and the benefit is extended to 31 years of age because I served as well. The 48 month rule for collecting these benefits does not apply, as one is federal and another is state, in which both can be collected simultaneously.

I hope this answers your question, there is further clarification on these sites should you feel interested to dig deeper.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/index.html
http://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Education.aspx

My thought is that you might want to keep your options open for Medical School outside of California. The state is extraordinarily competitive to stay in for medical school. You just might end up having to use your 3 years of GI Bill outside Cal, and sucking up the fourth year with some debt, just to manage your expectations.

As for undergrad, I think UCR is your best course as you laid it out. Better to get through earlier than later. Also note that going to a school for undergrad does not increase your chance of getting into their medical school.