"Doctor Loan/Physician Loan Programs"

Started by slazenger
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I talked with B of A on the phone today.
They are currently reworking and/or getting rid of the doctor loans, or so she said.
They do give FHA loans.
She stated that if you want to buy in declining markets in California or Florida, you must have 20% down, no matter what loan program you are using (i.e. even if there is a special doctor loan or other loan program that the bank has, they will still require 20% down in FLA and CA, for right now).

I have had better luck with a local credit union in CA, which I think is going to help me do an FHA loan, at around 5%.
 
Dragonfly, what that rep told you just isn't true. In some instances, 100% financing is still available in Florida. Maybe not California, though.

What I've noticed is that many loan officers think they know what goes on at other banks, when in reality it's almost impossible to know. Until you actually speak with people from different banks, don't assume that one guy knows what the real deal is.
 
the person works for B of A and stated that B of A is not offering 100% financing in Florida any more. That is what I meant. It's possible she was wrong, but she works for B of A. I haven't checked other banks in Florida, as I'm not moving to Florida and am not interested.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bank of America is absolutely falling down on the job regarding customer service. I started with them a few weeks ago and have had nothing but poor customer service for my loan. I plan to give them one last chance but if this deal goes bad the way I think it is going to, then I will start a completely new thread on my difficulties with Bank of America. I don't plan to leave out any details, and we'll just let my fellow physicians decide for themselves whether they want to interract with B of A after hearing my story.
 
Bank of America is absolutely falling down on the job regarding customer service. I started with them a few weeks ago and have had nothing but poor customer service for my loan. I plan to give them one last chance but if this deal goes bad the way I think it is going to, then I will start a completely new thread on my difficulties with Bank of America. I don't plan to leave out any details, and we'll just let my fellow physicians decide for themselves whether they want to interract with B of A after hearing my story.

IMHO it is usually better to deal with local bankers if you can. They actually have ties to the community and usually will have better customer service, since they see you as a person rather than a bank account. However, when you are thinking of moving halfway across the country and buying a home in another state, working with a bank that operates in multiple states or throughout the country can be necessary.

For what it's worth, the B of A person I talked to on the phone was extremely nice, and I didn't feel like I was getting the runaround in any way. She did tell me it would be better to go to the local B of A and fill out a loan application in person, because currently they are changing their loan programs and the online application process is being overhauled and so it's better to do a paper application right now.
 
My situation involves dealing with the mortgage agent, the loan servicer, and a bad appraisal that had an error. I also got told one thing initially about my income being approved even though it was income I would be getting a couple months after closing. You'd think 280k would be a reasonable income but it took them a week to say it was acceptable. Then they changed rates and terms mid stream. They did kindly lock me in before all this happened but I believe I find myself in a customer service void because they honestly want me to walk away. I really believe this.


IMHO it is usually better to deal with local bankers if you can. They actually have ties to the community and usually will have better customer service, since they see you as a person rather than a bank account. However, when you are thinking of moving halfway across the country and buying a home in another state, working with a bank that operates in multiple states or throughout the country can be necessary.

For what it's worth, the B of A person I talked to on the phone was extremely nice, and I didn't feel like I was getting the runaround in any way. She did tell me it would be better to go to the local B of A and fill out a loan application in person, because currently they are changing their loan programs and the online application process is being overhauled and so it's better to do a paper application right now.
 
I also had a horrible experience with BoA over the last month. Initially I spoke to someone that did physician loans and put the application in. We were ready to buy a house and were just waiting on the pre-approval letter. We were initially told it would only be 2-3 days to be pre-approved. After 2-3 weeks of unreturned phone calls we foung out we had been denied because the underwriter didn't understand what a physician loan entailed (wouldn't consider resident a physician). After that I called one of the BoA people listed on this forum, and was told that the previous people had screwed up and she would put the application in over the weekend, before rates went up and guaranteed that we would have an approval letter by Monday (spoke to her on Thursday) and guaranteed that both her and her assistant would be available by phone or email for questions. Monday morning I called and spoke to her assistant who said she was in a meeting but would call me back in an hour. Since that "meeting" last Monday, I have been unable to get in touch with either her or her assistant, either by phone or email. I called and emailed multiple times a day with no response and we eventually had to give up and go with another bank (which has ended up being much better, we got a preapproval letter that evening). Unfortunately the delay from BoA lost us the house we loved and a month of wasted time and stress. We will never be banking with BoA for any reason and plan on letting friends know the same. I understand that they are planning to end the physician loan program, and maybe that was decided last week after our application had gone through, but it would have been nice if someone had had the decency to answer a phone or call us and let us know so we didn't wait around and delay bidding on the house we wanted. Sorry for the long rant, but if I can save anyone the heartache we have gone through, its worth it. I recommend talking with your local banks and seeing what they can do to help. We're still having to pay a PMI, but other than that it has worked out very well so far.
 
the person works for B of A and stated that B of A is not offering 100% financing in Florida any more. That is what I meant. It's possible she was wrong, but she works for B of A. I haven't checked other banks in Florida, as I'm not moving to Florida and am not interested.

Oh ok, gotcha. Sorry if my post came across the wrong way! My frustration was not aimed at you, in the least. Good luck with everything.
 
Does anyone know if Wells Fargo still has their physician loan? I tried to email my contact and it was returned to me. I guess his job has fallen to the economic breakdown.
 
Just spoke with Suntrust. Looks they're offering a 0% down, no PMI, no points, no origination fee 30-year fixed at 5.85%. This is in a non-depressed state (Tennessee, in my case).

Not bad. You need a 720+ middle credit score for that, though.

Anyone else hear about various rates?

Can't say I'm that interested in ARMs unless you're looking at 10-years.







.
 
Last edited:
Tours, that sounds like a good loan for zero down.
I have banked with Suntrust in the past (not for mortgage, just regular banking) and did have a good experience with them. Unfortunately, they don't do business outside the Southeast as far as I know. Still, if you live in one of the states where Suntrust is, I definitely think their loan would be worth a look.
 
Tours, that sounds like a good loan for zero down.
I have banked with Suntrust in the past (not for mortgage, just regular banking) and did have a good experience with them. Unfortunately, they don't do business outside the Southeast as far as I know. Still, if you live in one of the states where Suntrust is, I definitely think their loan would be worth a look.

My Suntrust loan officer was based in GA, I bought in NY.
 
Just spoke with Suntrust. Looks they're offering a 0% down, no PMI, no points, no origination fee 30-year fixed at 5.85%. This is in a non-depressed state (Tennessee, in my case).

Not bad. You need a 720+ middle credit score for that, though.

Anyone else hear about various rates?

Can't say I'm that interested in ARMs unless you're looking at 10-years.







.
can you please post who you talked to that gave you these numbers...I would be interested in finding out more details myself, they sound pretty good. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Found this on a website and thought it was pretty cool/helpful:

2/1 Buy Down Mortgage
The 2/1 Buy Down Mortgage allows the borrower to qualify at below market rates so they can borrow more. The initial starting interest rate increases by 1% at the end of the first year and adjusts again by another 1% at the end of the second year. It then remains at a fixed interest rate for the remainder of the loan term. Borrowers often refinance at the end of the second year to obtain the best long term rates; however, even keeping the loan in place for three full years or more will keep their average interest rate in line with the original market conditions.

Acceleration Clause
Provision in a mortgage that allows the lender to demand payment of the entire principal balance if a monthly payment is missed or some other default occurs.

Additional Principal Payment
A way to reduce the remaining balance on the loan by paying more than the scheduled principal amount due.

Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (ARM)
A mortgage with an interest rate that changes during the life of the loan according to movements in an index rate. Sometimes called AMLs (adjustable mortgage loans) or VRMs (variable-rate mortgages).

Adjusted Basis
The cost of a property plus the value of any capital expenditures for improvements to the property minus any depreciation taken.

Adjustment Date
The date that the interest rate changes on an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM).

Adjustment Period
The period elapsing between adjustment dates for an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM).

Affordability Analysis
An analysis of a buyers ability to afford the purchase of a home. Reviews income, liabilities, and available funds, and considers the type of mortgage you plan to use, the area where you want to purchase a home, and the closing costs that are likely.

Amortization
The gradual repayment of a mortgage loan, both principal and interest, by installments.

Amortization Term
The length of time required to amortize the mortgage loan expressed as a number of months. For example, 360 months is the amortization term for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage.

Annual Percentage Rate (APR)
The cost of credit, expressed as a yearly rate including interest, mortgage insurance, and loan origination fees. This allows the buyer to compare loans, however APR should not be confused with the actual note rate.

Appraisal
A written analysis prepared by a qualified appraiser and estimating the value of a property.

Appraised Value
An opinion of a property's fair market value, based on an appraiser's knowledge, experience, and analysis of the property.

Asset
Anything owned of monetary value including real property, personal property, and enforceable claims against others (including bank accounts, stocks, mutual funds, etc.).

Assignment
The transfer of a mortgage from one person to another.

Assumability
An assumable mortgage can be transferred from the seller to the new buyer. Generally requires a credit review of the new borrower and lenders may charge a fee for the assumption. If a mortgage contains a due-on-sale clause, it may not be assumed by a new buyer.

Assumption Fee
The fee paid to a lender (usually by the purchaser of real property) when an assumption takes place.

Balance Sheet
A financial statement that shows assets, liabilities, and net worth as of a specific date.

Balloon Mortgage
A mortgage with level monthly payments that amortizes over a stated term but also requires that a lump sum payment be paid at the end of an earlier specified term.

Balloon Payment
The final lump sum paid at the maturity date of a balloon mortgage.

Before-tax Income
Income before taxes are deducted.

Biweekly Payment Mortgage
A plan to reduce the debt every two weeks (instead of the standard monthly payment schedule). The 26 (or possibly 27) biweekly payments are each equal to one-half of the monthly payment required if the loan were a standard 30-year fixed-rate mortgage. The result for the borrower is a substantial savings in interest.

Bridge Loan
A second trust that is collateralized by the borrower's present home allowing the proceeds to be used to close on a new house before the present home is sold. Also known as "swing loan."

Broker
An individual or company that brings borrowers and lenders together for the purpose of loan origination.

Buydown
When the seller, builder or buyer pays an amount of money up front to the lender to reduce monthly payments during the first few years of a mortgage. Buydowns can occur in both fixed and adjustable rate mortgages.

Cap
Limits how much the interest rate or the monthly payment can increase, either at each adjustment or during the life of the mortgage. Payment caps don't limit the amount of interest the lender is earning and may cause negative amortization.

Certificate of Eligibility
A document issued by the federal government certifying a veteran’s eligibility for a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) mortgage.

Certificate of Reasonable Value (CRV)
A document issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) that establishes the maximum value and loan amount for a VA mortgage.

Change Frequency
The frequency (in months) of payment and/or interest rate changes in an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM).

Closing
A meeting held to finalize the sale of a property. The buyer signs the mortgage documents and pays closing costs. Also called "settlement."

Closing Costs
These are expenses - over and above the price of the property- that are incurred by buyers and sellers when transferring ownership of a property. Closing costs normally include an origination fee, property taxes, charges for title insurance and escrow costs, appraisal fees, etc. Closing costs will vary according to the area country and the lenders used.

Compound Interest
Interest paid on the original principal balance and on the accrued and unpaid interest.

Consumer Reporting Agency (or Bureau)
An organization that handles the preparation of reports used by lenders to determine a potential borrower's credit history. The agency gets data for these reports from a credit repository and from other sources.


Conversion Clause
A provision in an ARM allowing the loan to be converted to a fixed-rate at some point during the term. Usually conversion is allowed at the end of the first adjustment period. The conversion feature may cost extra.

Credit Report
A report detailing an individual's credit history that is prepared by a credit bureau and used by a lender to determine a loan applicant's creditworthiness.

Credit Risk ScoreA credit score measures a consumer's credit risk relative to the rest of the U.S. population, based on the individual's credit usage history. The credit score most widely used by lenders is the FICO® score, developed by Fair, Issac and Company. This 3-digit number, ranging from 300 to 850, is calculated by a mathematical equation that evaluates many types of information that are on your credit report. Higher FICO® scores represents lower credit risks, which typically equate to better loan terms. In general, credit scores are critical in the mortgage loan underwriting process.
Deed of Trust
The document used in some states instead of a mortgage. Title is conveyed to a trustee.

Default
Failure to make mortgage payments on a timely basis or to comply with other requirements of a mortgage.

Delinquency
Failure to make mortgage payments on time.

Deposit
This is a sum of money given to bind the sale of real estate, or a sum of money given to ensure payment or an advance of funds in the processing of a loan.

Discount
In an ARM with an initial rate discount, the lender gives up a number of percentage points in interest to reduce the rate and lower the payments for part of the mortgage term (usually for one year or less). After the discount period, the ARM rate usually increases according to its index rate.

Down Payment
Part of the purchase price of a property that is paid in cash and not financed with a mortgage.

Effective Gross Income
A borrowers normal annual income, including overtime that is regular or guaranteed. Salary is usually the principal source, but other income may qualify if it is significant and stable.

Equity
The amount of financial interest in a property. Equity is the difference between the fair market value of the property and the amount still owed on the mortgage.

Escrow
An item of value, money, or documents deposited with a third party to be delivered upon the fulfillment of a condition. For example, the deposit of funds or documents into an escrow account to be disbursed upon the closing of a sale of real estate.

Escrow Disbursements
The use of escrow funds to pay real estate taxes, hazard insurance, mortgage insurance, and other property expenses as they become due.

Escrow Payment
The part of a mortgagor’s monthly payment that is held by the servicer to pay for taxes, hazard insurance, mortgage insurance, lease payments, and other items as they become due.

Fannie Mae
A congressionally chartered, shareholder-owned company that is the nation's largest supplier of home mortgage funds.

FHA Mortgage
A mortgage that is insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA). Also known as a government mortgage.

FICO Score
FICO® scores are the most widely used credit score in U.S. mortgage loan underwriting. This 3-digit number, ranging from 300 to 850, is calculated by a mathematical equation that evaluates many types of information that are on your credit report. Higher FICO® scores represent lower credit risks, which typically equate to better loan terms.

First Mortgage
The primary lien against a property.

Fixed Installment
The monthly payment due on a mortgage loan including payment of both principal and interest.

Fixed-Rate Mortgage (FRM)
A mortgage interest that are fixed throughout the entire term of the loan.

Fully Amortized ARM
An adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) with a monthly payment that is sufficient to amortize the remaining balance, at the interest accrual rate, over the amortization term.

GNMA
A government-owned corporation that assumed responsibility for the special assistance loan program formerly administered by Fannie Mae. Popularly known as Ginnie Mae.

Growing-Equity Mortgage (GEM)
A fixed-rate mortgage that provides scheduled payment increases over an established period of time. The increased amount of the monthly payment is applied directly toward reducing the remaining balance of the mortgage.

Guarantee Mortgage
A mortgage that is guaranteed by a third party.

Housing Expense Ratio
The percentage of gross monthly income budgeted to pay housing expenses.

HUD-1 statement
A document that provides an itemized listing of the funds that are payable at closing. Items that appear on the statement include real estate commissions, loan fees, points, and initial escrow amounts. Each item on the statement is represented by a separate number within a standardized numbering system. The totals at the bottom of the HUD-1 statement define the seller's net proceeds and the buyer's net payment at closing.

Hybrid ARM (3/1 ARM, 5/1 ARM, 7/1 ARM)
A combination fixed rate and adjustable rate loan - also called 3/1,5/1,7/1 - can offer the best of both worlds: lower interest rates (like ARMs) and a fixed payment for a longer period of time than most adjustable rate loans. For example, a "5/1 loan" has a fixed monthly payment and interest for the first five years and then turns into a traditional adjustable rate loan, based on then-current rates for the remaining 25 years. It's a good choice for people who expect to move or refinance, before or shortly after, the adjustment occurs.

Index
The index is the measure of interest rate changes a lender uses to decide the amount an interest rate on an ARM will change over time.The index is generally a published number or percentage, such as the average interest rate or yield on Treasury bills. Some index rates tend to be higher than others and some more volatile.

Initial Interest Rate
This refers to the original interest rate of the mortgage at the time of closing. This rate changes for an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM). It's also known as "start rate" or "teaser."

Installment
The regular periodic payment that a borrower agrees to make to a lender.

Insured Mortgage
A mortgage that is protected by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) or by private mortgage insurance (MI).

Interest
The fee charged for borrowing money.

Interest Accrual Rate
The percentage rate at which interest accrues on the mortgage. In most cases, it is also the rate used to calculate the monthly payments.

Interest Rate Buydown Plan
An arrangement that allows the property seller to deposit money to an account. That money is then released each month to reduce the mortgagor's monthly payments during the early years of a mortgage.

Interest Rate Ceiling
For an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM), the maximum interest rate, as specified in the mortgage note.

Interest Rate Floor
For an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM), the minimum interest rate, as specified in the mortgage note.

Late Charge
The penalty a borrower must pay when a payment is made a stated number of days (usually 15) after the due date.

Lease-Purchase Mortgage Loan
An alternative financing option that allows low- and moderate-income home buyers to lease a home with an option to buy. Each month's rent payment consists of principal, interest, taxes and insurance (PITI) payments on the first mortgage plus an extra amount that accumulates in a savings account for a downpayment.

Liabilities
A person's financial obligations. Liabilities include long-term and short-term debt.

Lifetime Payment Cap
For an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM), a limit on the amount that payments can increase or decrease over the life of the mortgage.

Lifetime Rate Cap
For an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM), a limit on the amount that the interest rate can increase or decrease over the life of the loan. See cap.

Line of Credit
An agreement by a commercial bank or other financial institution to extend credit up to a certain amount for a certain time.

Liquid Asset
A cash asset or an asset that is easily converted into cash.

Loan
A sum of borrowed money (principal) that is generally repaid with interest.

Loan-to-Value (LTV) Percentage
The relationship between the principal balance of the mortgage and the appraised value (or sales price if it is lower) of the property. For example, a $100,000 home with an $80,000 mortgage has an LTV of 80 percent.

Lock-In Period
The guarantee of an interest rate for a specified period of time by a lender, including loan term and points, if any, to be paid at closing. Short term locks (under 21 days), are usually available after lender loan approval only. However, many lenders may permit a borrower to lock a loan for 30 days or more prior to submission of the loan application.

Margin
The number of percentage points the lender adds to the index rate to calculate the ARM interest rate at each adjustment.

Maturity
The date on which the principal balance of a loan becomes due and payable.

Monthly Fixed Installment
That portion of the total monthly payment that is applied toward principal and interest. When a mortgage negatively amortizes, the monthly fixed installment does not include any amount for principal reduction and doesn't cover all of the interest. The loan balance therefore increases instead of decreasing.

Mortgage
A legal document that pledges a property to the lender as security for payment of a debt.

Mortgage Banker
A company that originates mortgages exclusively for resale in the secondary mortgage market.

Mortgage Broker
An individual or company that brings borrowers and lenders together for the purpose of loan origination.

Mortgage Insurance
A contract that insures the lender against loss caused by a mortgagor's default on a government mortgage or conventional mortgage. Mortgage insurance can be issued by a private company or by a government agency.

Mortgage Insurance Premium (MIP)
The amount paid by a mortgagor for mortgage insurance.

Mortgage Life Insurance
A type of term life insurance In the event that the borrower dies while the policy is in force, the debt is automatically paid by insurance proceeds.

Mortgagor
The borrower in a mortgage agreement.

Negative Amortization
Amortization means that monthly payments are large enough to pay the interest and reduce the principal on your mortgage. Negative amortization occurs when the monthly payments do not cover all of the interest cost. The interest cost that isn't covered is added to the unpaid principal balance. This means that even after making many payments, you could owe more than you did at the beginning of the loan. Negative amortization can occur when an ARM has a payment cap that results in monthly payments not high enough to cover the interest due.

Net Worth
The value of all of a person's assets, including cash.

Non Liquid Asset
An asset that cannot easily be converted into cash.

Note
A legal document that obligates a borrower to repay a mortgage loan at a stated interest rate during a specified period of time.

Origination Fee
A fee paid to a lender for processing a loan application. The origination fee is stated in the form of points. One point is 1 percent of the mortgage amount.

Owner Financing
A property purchase transaction in which the party selling the property provides all or part of the financing.

Payment Change Date
The date when a new monthly payment amount takes effect on an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) or a graduated-payment mortgage (GPM). Generally, the payment change date occurs in the month immediately after the adjustment date.

Periodic Payment Cap
A limit on the amount that payments can increase or decrease during any one adjustment period.

Periodic Rate Cap
A limit on the amount that the interest rate can increase or decrease during any one adjustment period, regardless of how high or low the index might be.

PITI Reserves
A cash amount that a borrower must have on hand after making a down payment and paying all closing costs for the purchase of a home. The principal, interest, taxes, and insurance (PITI) reserves must equal the amount that the borrower would have to pay for PITI for a predefined number of months (usually three).

Points
A point is equal to one percent of the principal amount of your mortgage. For example, if you get a mortgage for $165,000 one point means $1,650 to the lender.Points usually are collected at closing and may be paid by the borrower or the home seller, or may be split between them.

Prepayment Penalty
A fee that may be charged to a borrower who pays off a loan before it is due.

Pre-Approval
The process of determining how much money you will be eligible to borrow before you apply for a loan.

Prime Rate
The interest rate that banks charge to their preferred customers. Changes in the prime rate influence changes in other rates, including mortgage interest rates.

Principal
The amount borrowed or remaining unpaid. The part of the monthly payment that reduces the remaining balance of a mortgage.

Principal Balance
The outstanding balance of principal on a mortgage not including interest or any other charges.

Principal, Interest, Taxes, and Insurance (PITI)
The four components of a monthly mortgage payment. Principal refers to the part of the monthly payment that reduces the remaining balance of the mortgage. Interest is the fee charged for borrowing money. Taxes and insurance refer to the monthly cost of property taxes and homeowners insurance, whether these amounts that are paid into an escrow account each month or not.

Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI)
Mortgage insurance provided by a private mortgage insurance company to protect lenders against loss if a borrower defaults. Most lenders generally require MI for a loan with a loan-to-value (LTV) percentage in excess of 80 percent.

Qualifying Ratios
Calculations used to determine if a borrower can qualify for a mortgage. They consist of two separate calculations: a housing expense as a percent of income ratio and total debt obligations as a percent of income ratio.

Rate Lock
A commitment issued by a lender to a borrower or other mortgage originator guaranteeing a specified interest rate and lender costs for a specified period of time.

Real Estate AgentA person licensed to negotiate and transact the sale of real estate on behalf of the property owner.
Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA)
A consumer protection law that requires lenders to give borrowers advance notice of closing costs.

Real Estate Agent®
A real estate broker or an associate who is an active member in a local real estate board that is affiliated with the National Association of Real Estate Agents.

Recording
The noting in the registrar’s office of the details of a properly executed legal document, such as a deed, a mortgage note, a satisfaction of mortgage, or an extension of mortgage, thereby making it a part of the public record.

Refinance
Paying off one loan with the proceeds from a new loan using the same property as security.

Revolving Liability
A credit arrangement, such as a credit card, that allows a customer to borrow against a pre-approved line of credit when purchasing goods and services.

Secondary Mortgage Market
Where existing mortgages are bought and sold.

Security
The property that will be pledged as collateral for a loan.

Seller Carry-back
An agreement in which the owner of a property provides financing, often in combination with an assumable mortgage. See Owner Financing.

Servicer
An organization that collects principal and interest payments from borrowers and manages borrowers’ escrow accounts. The servicer often services mortgages that have been purchased by an investor in the secondary mortgage market.

Standard Payment Calculation
The method used to determine the monthly payment required to repay the remaining balance of a mortgage in substantially equal installments over the remaining term of the mortgage at the current interest rate.

Step-Rate Mortgage
A mortgage that allows for the interest rate to increase according to a specified schedule (i.e., seven years), resulting in increased payments as well. At the end of the specified period, the rate and payments will remain constant for the remainder of the loan.

Third-party Origination
When a lender uses another party to completely or partially originate, process, underwrite, close, fund, or package the mortgages it plans to deliver to the secondary mortgage market.

Total Expense Ratio
Total obligations as a percentage of gross monthly income including monthly housing expenses plus other monthly debts.

Treasury Index
An index used to determine interest rate changes for certain adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) plans. Based on the results of auctions that the U.S. Treasury holds for its Treasury bills and securities or derived from the U.S. Treasury's daily yield curve, which is based on the closing market bid yields on actively traded Treasury securities in the over-the-counter market.

Truth-in-Lending
A federal law that requires lenders to fully disclose, in writing, the terms and conditions of a mortgage, including the annual percentage rate (APR) and other charges.

Two-step Mortgage
An adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) with one interest rate for the first five or seven years of its mortgage term and a different interest rate for the remainder of the amortization term.

Underwriting
The process of evaluating a loan application to determine the risk involved for the lender. Underwriting involves an analysis of the borrower's creditworthiness and the quality of the property itself.

VA Mortgage
A mortgage that is guaranteed by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Also known as a government mortgage.

"Wrap Around" Mortgage
A mortgage that includes the remaining balance on an existing first mortgage plus an additional amount requested by the mortgagor. Full payments on both mortgages are made to the "Wrap Around" mortgagee, who then forwards the payments on the first mortgage to the first mortgagee. These mortgages may not be allowed by the first mortgage holder, and if discovered, could be subject to a demand for full payment.
 
So I have been in touch with Compass but heard Suntrust has better rates.
I am in Mass, and they found a loan officer who can originate mortgages in massachusetts. I spoke to him yesterday and much to my dismay he insisted I have three months of pay stubs from my job and therefore would not be able to close until late summer. This is with a co-borrower who does have pay stubs.

As a resident starting in June, obviously this wouldn't work. Have others been told something different from Suntrust?? I know Compass will close incoming residents now. The guy was pretty rude to me, saying "well maybe you'll get another offer for a different residency and you wouldn't actually start." I explained that wasn't how the match worked, we have a contract,etc to no avail.
 
So I have been in touch with Compass but heard Suntrust has better rates.
I am in Mass, and they found a loan officer who can originate mortgages in massachusetts. I spoke to him yesterday and much to my dismay he insisted I have three months of pay stubs from my job and therefore would not be able to close until late summer. This is with a co-borrower who does have pay stubs.

As a resident starting in June, obviously this wouldn't work. Have others been told something different from Suntrust?? I know Compass will close incoming residents now. The guy was pretty rude to me, saying "well maybe you'll get another offer for a different residency and you wouldn't actually start." I explained that wasn't how the match worked, we have a contract,etc to no avail.

http://www.suntrustmortgage.com/loanofficer.asp?egray

Try her.

or here:

http://www.emra.org/uploadedFiles/EMRA/About_EMRA/Suntrust-1.pdf
 

Thanks, I tried the first one a week ago and haven't heard back. Will try the second one and also my realtor gave us a name of someone at Suntrust that I've put a call in to. I just wanted to hear from others that Suntrust does in fact allow closing before the official start date of residency. The guy I spoke to really seemed uninformed about how residency works.
 
Last edited:
Just wanted to update everyone with some disappointing news. Compass is now requiring 5% down in declining markets. What's worse is that they can't even tell you if your market is declining until after the appraisal. In our county, some underwriters have it listed as declining and some have switched back recently to non-declining. We have to choose a lender after the purchase and sale and it really won't work for us to maybe have to put 5% down, maybe not...

We are looking into the FHA program now, which is 3.5% down. I spoke with a representative at Countrywide who indicated that a residency contract and my boyfriend's paystubs will work for closing the loan in the month prior to starting residency. Our debt-to-income was ok (<41%) even when the assumed my student loans were in repayment (they aren't), which surprised me. It just is frustrating to have made an offer on a place with a pre-approval letter for 100% financing and now have that taken away. Too good to be true, I guess. 👎
 
how do you guys feel about a 5/2/5 ARM loan with a 30 year amortization period and 5 years fixed interest of 5.375%? This is a doctor's loan with no down, no PMI
 
Is the 5.375% the interest on the loan, or the APR? The APR is important because it incorporates the upfront fees/mortgage fees you are paying. 5.375% (especially if it's with no points) is an all right interest rate if you are not putting down much (i.e. not 20%) I think.

I don't know what a 5/2/5 ARM loan is, though. I know what a 5/1 ARM is.
 
Is the 5.375% the interest on the loan, or the APR? The APR is important because it incorporates the upfront fees/mortgage fees you are paying. 5.375% (especially if it's with no points) is an all right interest rate if you are not putting down much (i.e. not 20%) I think.

I don't know what a 5/2/5 ARM loan is, though. I know what a 5/1 ARM is.
In all likelihood, aenon is talking about a 5/1 ARM, it's just the numbers after the "/" are conveying different information.

The "1" when someone says "5/1 ARM" = Adjustment interval once the fixed period is over
The "2" in the 5/2/5 = Cap on interest rate adjustment (i.e. The loan rate can't increase (maybe not decrease, as well ?) by more than 2% per adjustment interval)
The "5" in the 5/2/5 = Maximum Cap on interest rate adjustment (i.e. that loan will never have a rate of more than 10.375%)

Personally, I would avoid ARMs, but I'm not really sure what choices people have.
 
sol, what do you mean by adjustment interval? is that 1 year?

the ARM 5/2/5 means it can increase up to 5% on the first year and can increase up to 2% on the following years, with an overall cap of 5%
 
sol, what do you mean by adjustment interval? is that 1 year?

the ARM 5/2/5 means it can increase up to 5% on the first year and can increase up to 2% on the following years, with an overall cap of 5%
Yes, I mean that the loan can adjust every 1 year when you say "5/1 ARM" This is, by far, the most common, and I'd guess it is what you have. The 5 in this terminology is the number of years the rate stays fixed.

Of course you are correct in your second statement (and I left out talking about the first "5", which, as you say, is the cap on the initial adjustment.)

I believe the proper terminology for describing your loan would be a 5/1 ARM with an introductory rate of 5.375%, and rate caps of 5/2/5. Whew! Now I know why I like sticking to fixed-rate loans! You also should check to see what the loan adjusts to (Prime + ???, etc)

Though you might not think you will be there past 5 years, lots of responsible people get screwed on ARMs in this latest housing bust, because they thought they would sell their house in 5 years or whatever, but when the market went bust, they found themselves underwater and couldn't sell it. Because they didn't pay attention to what the rate adjusted to, it adjusted up to something atrocious and they found that they had trouble making payments at the higher rate. Be very, very careful with ARMs. Look at interest rates over the past 10 years or so, and make sure that you think you will be able to afford your payments if the rate adjusts up to the maximum rate over that period of time.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now....
 
Apparently Suntrust is still honoring their "Doctor's Loan". I just got a contract on a house April 7th, and they are processing the loan. Should close something late April or Early may. Of course, the loan hasn't been approved yet, so we'll see!
 
So I have been in touch with Compass but heard Suntrust has better rates.
I am in Mass, and they found a loan officer who can originate mortgages in massachusetts. I spoke to him yesterday and much to my dismay he insisted I have three months of pay stubs from my job and therefore would not be able to close until late summer. This is with a co-borrower who does have pay stubs.

The requirement to get around this is your assests. My lender realized that I wouldn't have a paycheck until July 31st, since I am closing in a couple weeks that leaves 2 months of payments during pre-employment. In response, they make an exception if you have enough money in your bank for 6 months of mortgage payments.
 
grw
most med students don't have that kind of cash in their bank accounts...unless you are perhaps married w/a working spouse, or your family had money, or you somehow had a great job for several years before med school. I got no love from Suntrust as far as getting a doctor loan, although I've banked with them for years and my FICO score is >800 and I currently am a resident. It might depend on what part of the country you want to get the loan in, as well...some markets are declining and some lenders may not want to take the chance on them.
 
True, it is tough right now. The only other reasonable option I was facing was obtaining a FHA loan with 3.5% down. Unless you have the seller pay closing costs, the money down + closing lingers around the same asset requirement for the doctor's loan. Some lenders may allow you to finance closing costs. In the end, I admit, the past two months house hunting and obtaining financing has been a headache!!!! Goodluck to everyone out there.
 
Hey Guys, Suntrust will do the doctor loan for new residents if the first full payment on the mortgage is after the first paycheck. If you close in June, you pay interest for the rest of june, nothing in July and then your first payment is August 1st. Mortgages are funny that way. I have assets to cover the payments and they didn't care- had to confirm the date of my first paycheck. Still, I couldn't go with Suntrust b/c not only did they want 5% for a declining market, they wanted an additional 5% to purchase a condo. We don't have 10% to put down.

I ended up going with Compass. They will do 5% in a declining market and don't care about condos vs. single family. The catch is they can't tell you if the market is declining until after the appraisal and the county i'm buying in is now classified by some underwriters/pmi companies as non-declining so we'll see. I will likely have to do 5% down.

FHA would have given us better rates and only 3.5% down. They would accept the signed residency contract. Sadly, and this is a big warning to those looking at FHA and buying a condo, they will not approve condos in associations with less than 4 units (which are very common in the northeast, i'd say 4 out of 5 of every condo listing). For 4+ unit associations, they have a list of approved places and very stringent criteria about which condos they will accept (such as no more than a certain percentage of units that also have FHA funding). Single families would be no problem but very careful if you are thinking about a condo. This is apparently a new policy and very disheartening.

I am so sick of lenders changing their policies in the middle of the game and not being straightforward about it...I just pray that Compass will work out, 5% down or 100% financing. I don't want to lose the place we found. Good luck to others- its rough out there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys, Suntrust will do the doctor loan for new residents if the first full payment on the mortgage is after the first paycheck. If you close in June, you pay interest for the rest of june, nothing in July and then your first payment is August 1st. Mortgages are funny that way. I have assets to cover the payments and they didn't care- had to confirm the date of my first paycheck. Still, I couldn't go with Suntrust b/c not only did they want 5% for a declining market, they wanted an additional 5% to purchase a condo. We don't have 10% to put down.

I ended up going with Compass. They will do 5% in a declining market and don't care about condos vs. single family. The catch is they can't tell you if the market is declining until after the appraisal and the county i'm buying in is now classified by some underwriters/pmi companies as non-declining so we'll see. I will likely have to do 5% down.

FHA would have given us better rates and only 3.5% down. They would accept the signed residency contract. Sadly, and this is a big warning to those looking at FHA and buying a condo, they will not approve condos in associations with less than 4 units (which are very common in the northeast, i'd say 4 out of 5 of every condo listing). For 4+ unit associations, they have a list of approved places and very stringent criteria about which condos they will accept (such as no more than a certain percentage of units that also have FHA funding). Single families would be no problem but very careful if you are thinking about a condo. This is apparently a new policy and very disheartening.

I am so sick of lenders changing their policies in the middle of the game and not being straightforward about it...I just pray that Compass will work out, 5% down or 100% financing. I don't want to lose the place we found. Good luck to others- its rough out there!


I am working with Suntrust now...

for me, all they required was the 5% to come out of my account, which was already there. They did however question me as to how I was going to get the closing costs because all I had was the 5%. My parents are going to pay for the closing costs, which is allowed under a gift. So I think that they are going to require that they write gift letter stating that they will pay for the closing. An underwriter has already looked at my file and given it a ok. You have to be ready to provide them with documents ASAP when asked for. I am closing in june so, my first payment due in august, well after my first paycheck is due.



IM using 5/1 ARM 4.625% with 1 pnt.
 
grw
most med students don't have that kind of cash in their bank accounts...unless you are perhaps married w/a working spouse, or your family had money, or you somehow had a great job for several years before med school. I got no love from Suntrust as far as getting a doctor loan, although I've banked with them for years and my FICO score is >800 and I currently am a resident. It might depend on what part of the country you want to get the loan in, as well...some markets are declining and some lenders may not want to take the chance on them.

Did suntrust deny you because you didnt have the funds to cover the 5%?
 
A question for people who have spoken with Suntrust and Compass: Do they charge the application fee upfront for a pre-approval or do they wait until a sales contract is signed?

Thanks!
 
A question for people who have spoken with Suntrust and Compass: Do they charge the application fee upfront for a pre-approval or do they wait until a sales contract is signed?

Thanks!

No fee for the pre-approval. I don't know about Suntrust, but Compass doesn't charge an application fee. They do have an origination fee, appraisal etc but no money was due when I handed in the purchase and sale.

I'm jealous of folks who can go with Suntrust with zero or 5% down. Too bad that pretty much all the decent real estate in the Boston area in our price range are condos and not single families.
 
Looking to buy in AZ (no Suntrust there), but really have absolutely no seasoned funds available at all (hooray for interviews...). I do however have a parent that is willing to co-borrow and pay 20% down. My broker told me I'm SOL without a "real" job (ie. need fresh paystubs, no contract stuff). Anyone found a way to get a conventional, FHA, or physician's loan in a declining market area using gifted funds/co-borrower?
 
Looking to buy in AZ (no Suntrust there), but really have absolutely no seasoned funds available at all (hooray for interviews...). I do however have a parent that is willing to co-borrow and pay 20% down. My broker told me I'm SOL without a "real" job (ie. need fresh paystubs, no contract stuff). Anyone found a way to get a conventional, FHA, or physician's loan in a declining market area using gifted funds/co-borrower?

It doesn't matter if there is physically a Suntrust there or not- you just need to get a Suntrust loan officer who can originate in AZ. My friend and future co-intern is going the co-borrower route on an FHA loan and using gifted funds. FHA and Suntrust will both accept a contract that is signed by both parties rather than paystubs and would want your co-borrowers paystubs. You'd need to show when your first paycheck would occur (before full mortgage payment is due) and have cash reserves to cover that and closing, i'd imagine. If you can put 20% down though, I think you have access to conventional financing, no?
 
My SO and I are using Suntrust (LO in GA) for a house in a declining market (in Ohio). We've been pre-approved for 100% financing $200,000 at 5.625% with no PMI. We did ask for an exception to get 100% as opposed to 95%, but we have pretty good credit scores. I don't know if that made the difference or not. We're also a little older than most graduating seniors and have longer credit/work histories.

I'm waiting on a copy of the underwriting to make sure we're actually pre-approved and to also see if any mistakes were made. It's possible our loan amount and rates may change substantially. 😱

-X
 
When I spoke to Suntrust they said they do not lend for purchases of homes in Arizona and Nebraska. My broker is saying conventional financing is not an option anymore without paystubs from the primary borrower. I thought FHA had to be a seasoned down payment as well, but I could be wrong.
 
My SO and I are using Suntrust (LO in GA) for a house in a declining market (in Ohio). We've been pre-approved for 100% financing $200,000 at 5.625% with no PMI. We did ask for an exception to get 100% as opposed to 95%, but we have pretty good credit scores. I don't know if that made the difference or not. We're also a little older than most graduating seniors and have longer credit/work histories.

I'm waiting on a copy of the underwriting to make sure we're actually pre-approved and to also see if any mistakes were made. It's possible our loan amount and rates may change substantially. 😱

-X

Was that Elly Gray? She did my loan 2 years ago. Excellent to work with.
 
When I spoke to Suntrust they said they do not lend for purchases of homes in Arizona and Nebraska. My broker is saying conventional financing is not an option anymore without paystubs from the primary borrower. I thought FHA had to be a seasoned down payment as well, but I could be wrong.

you can get a FHA loan..if u read the actual guidelines..its says that as long as you have a irrevocable contract . You can find those guildlines on the FHA homepage. the downside is that you have to pay the MI (.55%/year). Try finding a bank that has a portfolio loan ( like the physician loan but to low to moderate income) . these loans have less strict underwriting rules because they are usually NOT sold on the secondary market. Unfortunately, these loans are considered Sub-prime, so its kinda hard these days...but they still exist and at favorable rates.
 
drguy,
No, I do have 5% to put down...Suntrust just denied me I think because they don't want to deal with doing a loan in California, or cannot. The local loan officers are not interested because they will not personally make any money off of this (I assume). If I wanted to buy here in the town where I live, that would be O.K. I am sure.

I got preapproved for an FHA loan today, but they put a condition on this that I must have my first pay stub, which of course I will not have until after July 1st. This is despite them having a copy of my residency contract. However, it's pretty stupid because I currently have a job (going from residency research year --> fellowship). If they won't take off that condition, I may have to try and find another lender.
 
drguy,
No, I do have 5% to put down...Suntrust just denied me I think because they don't want to deal with doing a loan in California, or cannot. The local loan officers are not interested because they will not personally make any money off of this (I assume). If I wanted to buy here in the town where I live, that would be O.K. I am sure.

I got preapproved for an FHA loan today, but they put a condition on this that I must have my first pay stub, which of course I will not have until after July 1st. This is despite them having a copy of my residency contract. However, it's pretty stupid because I currently have a job (going from residency research year --> fellowship). If they won't take off that condition, I may have to try and find another lender.

Paystub information IS NOT TRUE

Projected or hypothetical income is not acceptable for qualifying purposes. However, exceptions are permitted to this rule for income from cost-of-living adjustments, performance raises, bonuses, etc., which are both verified by the employer in writing and scheduled to begin within 60 days of loan closing. If a borrower is about to start a new job and has a guaranteed, non-revocable contract for employment that will begin within 60 days of loan closing, the income is acceptable for qualifying purposes. The lender also must verify that the borrower will have sufficient income or cash reserves to support the mortgage payments and any other obligations during the interim between loan closing and the start of employment. (This condition may be appropriate for situations such as teachers whose contracts will begin with the new school year, or physicians who will begin residency after the loan is scheduled to close.) However, if the loan will close more than 60 days before the borrower's employment begins, the loan is not eligible for endorsement until the lender provides a pay stub or other acceptable evidence that the borrower has begun the new job.


SOURCE- FHA itself...

http://portal.hud.gov/portal/page?_pageid=73,1829262&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

That condition can be removed.

edit: the URL will bring you to the official FHA wiki page, where you do a search. type in paystub and you should see results, and i think its in the top 5.
 
Yeah when I spoke to Countrywide about the FHA I really had to argue with them and quote that info on the contracts before they agreed a contract signed by both parties would be fine. However, we couldn't get an FHA loan because of the the condo we were buying was in an association with less than 4 units. If you are buying a condo, i cannot emphasize enough that you should be very careful with FHA and make sure it is on their list of approved condo associations or eligible for "spot approval" before proceeding. Single families are no problem.

We are thrilled Compass has locked us at 5% (a 5/1 ARM but we only plan on being on the condo for 5-6 years and could easily afford the "worst case scenario" payments after I'm done with my 5 year combined residency and fellowship). FHA would have been better but there are no single families in boston in our price range other than trashed foreclosures in bad areas.

Paystub information IS NOT TRUE

Projected or hypothetical income is not acceptable for qualifying purposes. However, exceptions are permitted to this rule for income from cost-of-living adjustments, performance raises, bonuses, etc., which are both verified by the employer in writing and scheduled to begin within 60 days of loan closing. If a borrower is about to start a new job and has a guaranteed, non-revocable contract for employment that will begin within 60 days of loan closing, the income is acceptable for qualifying purposes. The lender also must verify that the borrower will have sufficient income or cash reserves to support the mortgage payments and any other obligations during the interim between loan closing and the start of employment. (This condition may be appropriate for situations such as teachers whose contracts will begin with the new school year, or physicians who will begin residency after the loan is scheduled to close.) However, if the loan will close more than 60 days before the borrower's employment begins, the loan is not eligible for endorsement until the lender provides a pay stub or other acceptable evidence that the borrower has begun the new job.


SOURCE- FHA itself...

http://portal.hud.gov/portal/page?_pageid=73,1829262&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

That condition can be removed.

edit: the URL will bring you to the official FHA wiki page, where you do a search. type in paystub and you should see results, and i think its in the top 5.
 
Yeah when I spoke to Countrywide about the FHA I really had to argue with them and quote that info on the contracts before they agreed a contract signed by both parties would be fine. However, we couldn't get an FHA loan because of the the condo we were buying was in an association with less than 4 units. If you are buying a condo, i cannot emphasize enough that you should be very careful with FHA and make sure it is on their list of approved condo associations or eligible for "spot approval" before proceeding. Single families are no problem.

We are thrilled Compass has locked us at 5% (a 5/1 ARM but we only plan on being on the condo for 5-6 years and could easily afford the "worst case scenario" payments after I'm done with my 5 year combined residency and fellowship). FHA would have been better but there are no single families in boston in our price range other than trashed foreclosures in bad areas.
..ya condos seem to be a big problem...thankfully im buying a townhome....

im actually applying suntrust and FHA...suntrust seems to be VERY VERY slow, which is why i had to apply FHA as well. as backup.

hmmm..5/1 ARM at 5%...jumbo loan?
 
..ya condos seem to be a big problem...thankfully im buying a townhome....

im actually applying suntrust and FHA...suntrust seems to be VERY VERY slow, which is why i had to apply FHA as well. as backup.

hmmm..5/1 ARM at 5%...jumbo loan?
All the townhomes we liked in boston are part of condo associations (usually small associations) so that didn't work for FHA either. Once you have a purchase and sale, our lawyer and realtor told us you have to choose your lender. Obviously you can get pre-approved for more than one lender before the P&S but are you actually paying for two appraisals, loan app fees, etc?

No its not a Jumbo loan. Compass has higher rates than Suntrust but Suntrust would have required 10% down for us b/c its a condo in what they still classify as a declining market even though most PMI companies and underwriters now say the county is no longer declining. We were only interested in 5% down or less. Also Compass did not give us any hassle about starting dates, paychecks,etc. Suntrust didn't want us closing in May. When we first talked to compass, the 5/1 ARM was 6% so 5 is fine given their more lenient policies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Paystub information IS NOT TRUE
If a borrower is about to start a new job and has a guaranteed, non-revocable contract for employment that will begin within 60 days of loan closing, the income is acceptable for qualifying purposes.

I'm just wondering for my own purposes, but is a residency contract non-revocable? I've not yet seen one, but I imagine it is filled with lots of stuff that talks about the terms under which the contract can be cancelled by the hospital/employer.
 
I'm just wondering for my own purposes, but is a residency contract non-revocable? I've not yet seen one, but I imagine it is filled with lots of stuff that talks about the terms under which the contract can be cancelled by the hospital/employer.

its pretty much binding unless uve molested children or fail a drug test...

but that would have been caught earlier b/c med schools do a background check on u as well. In the guidelines, they specifically mention new physicians about to start residency.
 
Actually, it's Kendall Knight. He's been pretty good so far, but we haven't even made an offer yet.

On another note, does anyone have any personal experience with short sales? I think we're going to go for one. I've read pretty much everything there is to read on the internet, so I'm looking for personal experiences. I'll post mine if it ever happens. 🙂

-X

Was that Elly Gray? She did my loan 2 years ago. Excellent to work with.
 
BOA sucks. They preapproved me for 170K with 10k down. After they had my contract, they called me to lock in my interest rate. They said i had to bring an extra $6200 that i dont have (4 points) to lock at 5.1%! Or i could pay 1/2 point but would be stuck at 7.78% rate! Thats rediculous. I was able to get a FHA at 4.7% rate. even with the pmi, its still $200 month cheaper than the doctor loan with no pmi. and after a while i can get rid of the PMI. Also regarding the contract vs. workstub. FHA is just a type of loan. The statements on the FHA website are merely minimum requirements. The lender who is giving you the loan can put any stipulations on it he wishes so long as it meets these minimum requirements. All it means is that he CAN accept a contract, not that he HAS to.
 
BOA sucks. They preapproved me for 170K with 10k down. After they had my contract, they called me to lock in my interest rate. They said i had to bring an extra $6200 that i dont have (4 points) to lock at 5.1%! Or i could pay 1/2 point but would be stuck at 7.78% rate! Thats rediculous. I was able to get a FHA at 4.7% rate. even with the pmi, its still $200 month cheaper than the doctor loan with no pmi. and after a while i can get rid of the PMI. Also regarding the contract vs. workstub. FHA is just a type of loan. The statements on the FHA website are merely minimum requirements. The lender who is giving you the loan can put any stipulations on it he wishes so long as it meets these minimum requirements. All it means is that he CAN accept a contract, not that he HAS to.


NO not true. the lenders MUST adhere to the FHA guidelines. I actually called the FHA myself. They also said that if they dont follow the guidelines, you could call the national number and they will file a complaint against the lender.