doctor mommy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that some of us are wondering if they want to be called doctor or not..especially in the retail setting. I've worked with some retail pharmacists completely confortable with being called doctor and some who don't feel confortable.

I have been struggling with the same question, for one my first name requires a twist of the tongue to say it and I don't do nickname or short name..So doctor + my last name would be easier for my patients.I am still thinking about it.

Last night I had my first victory: my son called me "doctor mommy".

I have a 4 y.o boy, and he is been often sick lately ( nothing major). We've been in and out of his pediatrician office, minute clinic and his dad always send him to me for his meds..so my boy decided out of nowhere to start calling me doctor mommy. It's the cuttest thing I've heard in a long time. So, if I do decide not to torture my patients into calling me doctor, at least at home I am doctor mommy..yay me:D

Members don't see this ad.

I know that some of us are wondering if they want to be called doctor or not..especially in the retail setting. I've worked with some retail pharmacists completely confortable with being called doctor and some who don't feel confortable.

I have been struggling with the same question, for one my first name requires a twist of the tongue to say it and I don't do nickname or short name..So doctor + my last name would be easier for my patients.I am still thinking about it.

I have a 4 y.o boy, and he is been often sick lately ( nothing major). We've been in and out of his pediatrician office, minute clinic and his dad always send him to me for his meds..so my boy decided out of nowhere to start calling me doctor mommy. It's the cuttest thing I've heard in a long time. So, if I do decide not to torture my patients into calling me doctor, at least at home I am doctor mommy..yay me:D

"Doctor mommy" is so cute, hahah.

I figure...I'll be okay with either. I don't know if I'd expect it in the community b/c some patients may just be confused by the whole R.Ph. vs Pharm.D. thing, but I'm so used to calling all of my profs/preceptors "dr" that anytime I see Pharm.D., I automatically attach "dr."

I know its a pharmacists' right to be called a Doctor and all, but in reality most people simply just don't see it that way. Especially retail, I would just go with whatever the patient is comfortable and not trying to pick an argument.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hate to break it to you, but you will not be called Dr. unless you practice in a academic setting. This topic has been discussed many, many times before.

Hate to break it to you, but you will not be called Dr. unless you practice in a academic setting. This topic has been discussed many, many times before.

lol..says who?..like my post was saying I've worked with community pharmacists being called Dr. and nobody has died from it..may be those guys were just successful in introducing their title. Again it is a personal choice and your population in and outside the store willingness to go along...bottom line it can happen...a cultural change might be possible..one pharmacist at a time

this topic has been discussed many many many many times before...I hear ya...well it does not make it irrelevant for me to be thinking about it as I am about to hit the door. Let make a list of topics dat have been discussed many times before and should never be touched again:

1.doctor mommy
2.salary
3.bonuses
4.wag vs cvs
5.cute stories about your kids

I have never worked with or seen a retail pharmacist referred to as Dr. X except by fellow pharmacists or physicians in an almost tongue-in-cheek manner. If I walked into a store to cover a shift and the staff RPh told me her name was Dr. Johnson or whatever I'd laugh in her goddamn face.

That's just how it is, don't see that changing any time soon.

I have never worked with or seen a retail pharmacist referred to as Dr. X except by fellow pharmacists or physicians in an almost tongue-in-cheek manner. If I walked into a store to cover a shift and the staff RPh told me her name was Dr. Johnson or whatever I'd laugh in her goddamn face.

And I sure hope not.

I know its a pharmacists' right to be called a Doctor and all, but in reality most people simply just don't see it that way. Especially retail, I would just go with whatever the patient is comfortable and not trying to pick an argument.

well that's because pharmacy is filled with pussees who are too afraid to force the profession in a new direction. all beta and omega males and women who are just comfortable in taking crap from customers aka patients or whatever.

i say insist on being called doctor since you earned it. never let someone take away your degree. Once you establish the respect you want, you will get it.

pharmacy seems like it is filled with people that let others walk all over them then talk **** about other pharmacists.

time to man the F up, grow a pair, and sound off.

lol..says who?..like my post was saying I've worked with community pharmacists being called Dr. and nobody has died from it..may be those guys were just successful in introducing their title. Again it is a personal choice and your population in and outside the store willingness to go along...bottom line it can happen...a cultural change might be possible..one pharmacist at a time

this topic has been discussed many many many many times before...I hear ya...well it does not make it irrelevant for me to be thinking about it as I am about to hit the door. Let make a list of topics dat have been discussed many times before and should never be touched again:

1.doctor mommy
2.salary
3.bonuses
4.wag vs cvs
5.cute stories about your kids

Disagree you may, but you will hit a harsh realization. I agree with Meister, it just isn't reality, sorry. Also, some people probably would laugh in your face. Trust me, I have been there...the feeling of graduating with a Pharm.D. Sure, it is a doctorate level degree, but when you get out there it isn't going to happen.

Disagree you may, but you will hit a harsh realization. I agree with Meister, it just isn't reality, sorry. Also, some people probably would laugh in your face. Trust me, I have been there...the feeling of graduating with a Pharm.D. Sure, it is a doctorate level degree, but when you get out there it isn't going to happen.

sounds like you let random people dominate you and tell you how things are gonna go?

do you generally let others intimidate you? I have been introduced as doctor by many people. I had a nurse practitioner introduce me by first name to patients where they thought i was refillings prescriptions.

once you let people do something it is hard to change them. if you want to see a change in the profession you need to make it happen, not just expect the world to know it.

i quickly put a stop to that. told her im a big boy and can introduce myself and the way she is introducing people leads to a misunderstanding of my role in their care (i am clinical fyi). i told her i do not go by a first name basis with patients because i am not their buddy i am part of their care. very simple, problem resolved.

Last edited:
sounds like you let random people dominate you and tell you how things are gonna go?

do you generally let others intimidate you? I have been introduced as doctor by many people. I had a nurse practitioner introduce me by first name to patients where they thought i was refillings prescriptions.

i quickly put a stop to that. told her im a big boy and can introduce myself and the way she is introducing people leads to a misunderstanding of my role in their care (i am clinical fyi). i told her i do not go by a first name basis with patients because i am not their buddy i am part of their care. very simple, problem resolved.

Sounds to me like you have a stick up your ***

Sounds to me like you have a stick up your ***

lol sounds to me like you're accustomed to letting people put their stick up yours.

before i went into pharmacy, i thought pharmacists were just some ****** with an associates degree that just counted pills (SERIOUS). That is the public perception of the field. In order to change that, you need to be part of the solution not the guy that just lets things happen not the sheep that goes with the flow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it feels great..will you be the one inserting it?

i'm flattered by the offer but love your new go-getter mentality. set your scopes on the world of Double Anal and ye can achieve.:D

once you let people do something it is hard to change them. if you want to see a change in the profession you need to make it happen, not just expect the world to know it.

It really isnt appropriate to make assumptions about someone's personality. What, do you always have to be the alpha just because you have a PharmD degree?

People go by first name basis to establish a FRIENDLY relationship with patients. They can read your nametag to see what role you perform, and your white coat probably gives something away. It seems like you are scared that people will misunderstand for a nurse because a nurse introduced you to patients like a buddy? Because nursing is a not a alpha profession?

I would much rather be a friend to a patient and get to know them as a person better than have to deal with a bunch of stuckup formality. It is much harder to open up to someone when you have to keep referring them as Doctor.

I don't expect anyone to call me "Dr" when I graduate, but in my mind, I'm already Dr with my own theme song and everything. That, and telemarketers will need to ask for Dr when they call my place, or they get hung up on fast.:smuggrin:

you sound like a douchebag :laugh:

I love how a cute story about someone's kid went off on a name-calling tangent. Keep it civil please.

Damnit meister, you see what you caused lol

I work in retail, and the ONLY people I've ever seen try to go by "doctor" are new graduates. It doesn't usually take them long to drop the idea.

It's very sweet that your moniker at home is "Dr. Mommy".
"Your Name Here" PharmD is equally nice. As for the public use of "doctor"... if I am on a plane, and have a heart attack, when the attendant asks for a doctor, if someone runs up with a PharmD, an advanced degree in English, or Philosophy, or naturopathy, herbology, or a chiropractor, my last minutes on earth in this body will be spent in severe dissapointment.

I work in retail, and the ONLY people I've ever seen try to go by "doctor" are new graduates. It doesn't usually take them long to drop the idea.

you know your profession isnt respected and needs some real direction when Dr. Dre is referred to as doctor by the same patient population that come into your pharmacy while you, as a doctor, are just seen as a jerkoff that counts pills and rings out out other items for them.

something to think about.

Haven't laughed so hard for a long time. This thread is great.:laugh:

"Your Name Here" PharmD is equally nice. As for the public use of "doctor"... if I am on a plane, and have a heart attack, when the attendant asks for a doctor, if someone runs up with a PharmD, an advanced degree in English, or Philosophy, or naturopathy, herbology, or a chiropractor, my last minutes on earth in this body will be spent in severe dissapointment.

Well, it may as well be a chiropractor. Seriously...if you're on a plane...and a guy has a heart attack...wtf is a physician going to do? They might have an AED on the plane, but any idiot can use one of those. Unless they have ECG machines and TPA in the cockpit, I gotta think you'd be hosed either way.

exactly.
'nuff said right there.

and yeah, you're charming....a real "partner in care"
lot's of MD's use their first name to make themselves more accessible to their patients.

but, you're clinical, fyi. too bad the NP has prescribing authority and we don't, clinical or not.
:beat:

you know your profession isnt respected and needs some real direction when Dr. Dre is referred to as doctor by the same patient population that come into your pharmacy while you, as a doctor, are just seen as a jerkoff that counts pills and rings out out other items for them.

something to think about.

Actually, I feel that I am quite well-respected, and I'm not the type of ego-maniac that feels they must have "doctor" behind their name. I am a pharmacist, not a doctor, and I feel that the term "doctor" should be reserved for medical doctors. It just seems like use of the term "doctor" has been getting out of control, and soon there are going to be doctors of just about anything.

Speaking of ego-maniacs, I can't believe that comment you made to that np. I feel sorry for people that have to work with you in real life. I'm sure they secretly (or not so secretly) hate you.

too bad the NP has prescribing authority and we don't, clinical or not.
:beat:

i know several pharmacists at our program that are involved in collaborative efforts with physicians (same as NP's) and have prescribing authority as well. it's not as common, but it's there. more in the ambulatory care setting though...

i know several pharmacists at our program that are involved in collaborative efforts with physicians (same as NP's) and have prescribing authority as well. it's not as common, but it's there. more in the ambulatory care setting though...

It depends on your state. I believe both New Mexico and North Carolinas have collaborative practice agreements. There is at least 1 other state working on the legislature right now.

It depends on your state. I believe both New Mexico and North Carolinas have collaborative practice agreements. There is at least 1 other state working on the legislature right now.

I'm pretty sure it's much more widespread than that. I read somewhere that it's over 40 states that participate in cooperative agreements for heathcare management. however...still not as common as in np's..

ahh, I guess what I was thinking was more of the Pharmacist Clinician - an additional licensure that allows protocol-based prescriptive authority under a physician. Outside of coumadin clinics, etc.

ahh, I guess what I was thinking was more of the Pharmacist Clinician - an additional licensure that allows protocol-based prescriptive authority under a physician. Outside of coumadin clinics, etc.

Ah, i see...I'm not too familiar with that. However, it does sound like what the pharmacists are doing in my state (protocol-based). Maybe we're one of the states that does this.

Last edited:
Just wait until more pharmacists become PharmDs and the old B.S. pharmacists retire. The profession will then transition to calling each other Dr. in both clinical and retail settings. Right now a Pharmacist with a B.S. and 20 years experience will not feel comfortable calling his 25yr old co-worker Dr. Soon doctor will mean anyone with their doctorate, especially health care professionals, instead of just typical physicians being called doctors. Just my opinion :)

Just wait until more pharmacists become PharmDs and the old B.S. pharmacists retire. The profession will then transition to calling each other Dr. in both clinical and retail settings. Right now a Pharmacist with a B.S. and 20 years experience will not feel comfortable calling his 25yr old co-worker Dr. Soon doctor will mean anyone with their doctorate, especially health care professionals, instead of just typical physicians being called doctors. Just my opinion :)

Me like your opinion:D

In Europe and in Africa, at least in Gabon an some other french speaking countries, anybody with any type of doctorate is called doctor or professor when appropriate, unless they choose otherwise. I do think that it's just a social phenomenom in the U.S. due to the previous B.S. but eventually the doctorate will prevail and people will start referring to each other as they should..but hey just my two cents.
As for me I get the **best of both worlds***, I am doctor mommy at home in the US and Doctor in my country as I will be practising in both continents. All I have left to do now is to **rock the show** i.e be a good pharmacist regardless of my title; that's the real challenge

wink to all the parents stuck with Hannah Montana all day on T.V because of the kids..:laugh:

i don't know how i feel about all of the animosity towards other HCPs calling themselves doctor. On the one hand, in no way should nurses, NPs, or PAs be calling themselves doctor. They have no reason to - they did not obtain a doctorate. PharmD is another story. I understand that introducing yourself as "dr. x" would be confusing...i also don't think many of us would do that. If anything, I would say "Dr. X, your pharmacist."

See once all is said and done, I will have received a 4 year BA in cell biology and neuroscience, a 4 year PharmD, and have completed a 2 year residency (god willing). So what do you propose I be called? Obviously, the people I work with on a daily basis would call me by my first name - and I have no problem with that. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna be having people call me "Ms. so and so" after 10 years of education.

One problem here is that, while it's common practice to call a physician 'doctor' or a nurse 'nurse' (i.e. they standalone without the need for a last name), it's not really proper to jsut say 'excuse me, Pharmacist."

As long as I am clear with whomever I am introducing myself to that I am not a physician ("Hello, I'm Dr. X, your pharmacist) then is it really a problem?

On the point of this thread, doctor mommy is so cute.

Who gives a rat'z ass what your title is. If you really want to be called a "doctor" then get an MD.

We as pharmacist have a role in healthcare. Do it well. That's what matters not what others call us.

i don't know how i feel about all of the animosity towards other HCPs calling themselves doctor. On the one hand, in no way should nurses, NPs, or PAs be calling themselves doctor. They have no reason to - they did not obtain a doctorate. PharmD is another story. I understand that introducing yourself as "dr. x" would be confusing...i also don't think many of us would do that. If anything, I would say "Dr. X, your pharmacist."

See once all is said and done, I will have received a 4 year BA in cell biology and neuroscience, a 4 year PharmD, and have completed a 2 year residency (god willing). So what do you propose I be called? Obviously, the people I work with on a daily basis would call me by my first name - and I have no problem with that. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna be having people call me "Ms. so and so" after 10 years of education.

One problem here is that, while it's common practice to call a physician 'doctor' or a nurse 'nurse' (i.e. they standalone without the need for a last name), it's not really proper to jsut say 'excuse me, Pharmacist."

As long as I am clear with whomever I am introducing myself to that I am not a physician ("Hello, I'm Dr. X, your pharmacist) then is it really a problem?

what would you think of people introducing you by your first name to patients?

Hello, "this is John"

What do you think of someone bringing you into patient rooms any saying "Hello, this is Marie"

do you pref first name with patients?

Who gives a rat'z ass what your title is. If you really want to be called a "doctor" then get an MD.

We as pharmacist have a role in healthcare. Do it well. That's what matters not what others call us.

If that's how you feel, more power to you. That doesn't mean everyone has to feel that way or feel ashamed for not feeling that way. As long as you understand that basic concept, I'm sure you make a great pharmacist.

In a professional setting I absolutely have every right to dictate how I am addressed as long as it is true (ie I will legally be Dr. X, therefore if I want to be called that I can). Who knows? maybe I won't feel comfortable being addressed by anything other than my first name (and I probably won't)...but that's up to me to decide, is it not? As long as I'm not trying to pass myself off as a physician I don't see the problem.

I'm not sure why you are so hostile over the fact that people want to be shown the level of respect that they feel they have earned...or why you think I want to be an MD just because I want to be shown it.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth over it. I know people have strong feelings on either side and no one's going to change the other's mind.

I'm not saying I would have a problem with being on a first name basis with anyone. I don't.

In my experience, patients are usually introduced as either their full name (first and last) or mr., ms., or mrs. (unless it's a child). If they don't tell me to call them "mary" or "john"/make it clear that they want to be on a first name basis, I'm not going to.

Same for me, I'm sure I will jsut tell most to call me by my first name, but in situations where I don't feel first names to be proper (ie teaching situation), I will call myself "Dr" and not "Ms". Is that so wrong?

If that's how you feel, more power to you. That doesn't mean everyone has to feel that way or feel ashamed for not feeling that way. As long as you understand that basic concept, I'm sure you make a great pharmacist.

It's not about how you feel but what's appropriate in a setting. And I can and will tell you what's appropriate. And go ahead and announce yourself as a Dr. Rutgers in a room full of attendings, residents, and hospital administrators. It's one thing for others to introduce you as Dr. Rutgers...but it's another for you a pharmacist to announe to certain audience that you're a Dr. So and So.

In a professional setting I absolutely have every right to dictate how I am addressed as long as it is true (ie I will legally be Dr. X, therefore if I want to be called that I can).

Nope. You will follow the culture and rules of the institution you work at. Not what you think you have the rights to.

Who knows? maybe I won't feel comfortable being addressed by anything other than my first name (and I probably won't)...but that's up to me to decide, is it not?

Nope. You can come up to me and introduce yourself as whatever you want but I will call you by your first name and you won't have anything else to say about it. BTW, I am a preceptor for your school.

I'm not sure why you are so hostile over the fact that people want to be shown the level of respect that they feel they have earned...or why you think I want to be an MD just because I want to be shown it.

I'm not hostile.

+1

The beta/omega male comment is BS by the way...a good number of us either don't give a crap about this discussion or think it's stupid to be called Dr. X after we graduate. :bang:

Over 100 years ago, physicians were given the MB, bachelor of medicine in the United States. They decided to upgrade their degree to the MD in the 1800s. There are 1000s of FMGs practicing in the US with widely varying educational backgrounds and degrees. Physicians have not had the Dr title since the inception of medical practice. Pharmacists should not go around saying, "I'm Dr. X, I'm here to save your life", but what is wrong with a patient coming into the community pharmacy to pick up their meds and have med counseling to call their pharmacist doctor? Nothing. I will have completed 4 years of undergrad with a BS in biology, 4 years to get the PharmD at one of the most competitive schools in the southeast, and possibly a residency.

It is insulting to think an MD/DO would look down on the PharmD title and act like it is just a "fake" doctor title. I am smarter with better stats than many of the people getting into the diploma mill DO schools, so I don't think I'll call them doctor. If I see a DO title I'll just call them Mr.X since I don't agree with their educational model.

I am not saying I want to push every patient to call their pharmacist Dr. X, but I do think the PharmD needs to be respected as a doctorate, and if a patient wants to call their PharmD holder Dr. Pharmacist, there should not be a problem.

Last edited:
Over 100 years ago, physicians were given the MB, bachelor of medicine in the United States. They decided to upgrade their degree to the MD in the 1800s. There are 1000s of FMGs practicing in the US with widely varying educational backgrounds and degrees. Pharmacists should not go around saying, "I'm Dr. X, I'm here to save your life", but what is wrong with a patient coming into the community pharmacy to pick up their meds and have med counseling to call their pharmacist doctor? Nothing. I will have completed 4 years of undergrad with a BS in biology, 4 years to get the PharmD at on of the most competitive schools in the southeast, and possibly a residency.

It is insulting to think an MD/DO would look down on the PharmD title and act like it is just a "fake" doctor title. I am smarter with better stats than many of the people getting into the diploma mill DO schools, so I don't think I'll call them doctor. If I see a DO title I'll just call them Mr.X since I don't agree with their educational model.

I am not saying I want to push every patient to call their pharmacist Dr. X, but I do think the PharmD needs to be respected as a doctorate, and if a patient wants to call their PharmD holder Dr. Pharmacist, there should not be a problem.

Being called a "doctor" has nothing to do with who's smarter. Do you call attorneys "Doctor?" They have JD. But why don't you?

How do you feel when an optometrist introduced him/herself as "Hello, I'm doctor so and so?"

It's what's appropriate in a practice setting. Again, if I want to call another pharmacist a Doctor something then it's one thing. But for a PharmD to go around and announce to the world to be called a Doctor, that's just pompous.

I'm just not going to introduce myself to patients. A simple "Sup, what choo want?" will suffice.