doctor mommy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just not going to introduce myself to patients. A simple "Sup, what choo want?" will suffice.


If that's what you want..

But what's wrong with "hello, I'm Bavarian MWE, your pharmacist."

I can tell you this. I have some pharmacist friends who introduce themselves as Dr. So and so every chance they get. And they all suffer tremendously from Napoleonic Syndrome.
 
Heck,

One of them even wanted my scrubs which I have a closet full of. I was like..dood, you work retail why you want my scrubs.
 
Heck,

One of them even wanted my scrubs which I have a closet full of. I was like..dood, you work retail why you want my scrubs.

what's with the fascination with scrubs by those who don't wear them? there's one girl at my school whose facebook includes "I dream one day of wearing scrubs to work". WTF? I end up feeling like, well, such a scrub when I wear them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what's with the fascination with scrubs by those who don't wear them? there's one girl at my school whose facebook includes "I dream one day of wearing scrubs to work". WTF? I end up feeling like, well, such a scrub when I wear them.

yeah...but you have to admit, those OR scrubs that's been washed a million times are the most comfortable clothing you can wear around the house.. I have 2 pairs of scrubs 20 years old from my first ever hospital job that I still wear today. It's the best.
 
yeah...but you have to admit, those OR scrubs that's been washed a million times are the most comfortable clothing you can wear around the house..

I have 2 pair of those that I ganked from the OR at a hospital I worked at 8 years ago. They're so thin, you could probably see right through them if I went out into the sun wearin' 'em. But, they sure are great to lounge around in or clean in. 🙂
 
I have 2 pair of those that I ganked from the OR at a hospital I worked at 8 years ago. They're so thin, you could probably see right through them if I went out into the sun wearin' 'em. But, they sure are great to lounge around in or clean in. 🙂


see through scrubs!!! what a great idea!! 👍
 
Scrubs suck, but I have to wear them or I'll get ferric gluconate or rifampin on my clothes. I dream of the day I can wear khakis and a polo.
 
It's not about how you feel but what's appropriate in a setting. And I can and will tell you what's appropriate. And go ahead and announce yourself as a Dr. Rutgers in a room full of attendings, residents, and hospital administrators. It's one thing for others to introduce you as Dr. Rutgers...but it's another for you a pharmacist to announe to certain audience that you're a Dr. So and So.



Nope. You will follow the culture and rules of the institution you work at. Not what you think you have the rights to.



Nope. You can come up to me and introduce yourself as whatever you want but I will call you by your first name and you won't have anything else to say about it. BTW, I am a preceptor for your school.





I'm not hostile.


I think it's pretty clear that if I am a student and you are my preceptor you will be calling me by first name and it would be ridiculous for me to ask someone to call me Dr in that situation.

I completely agree on the whole institutional setting determining what people are called.

I think you misunderstand me. I will always introduce myself as "firstname lastname". I would never walk into a meeting and say "hi, I'm dr. so and so".

I'm just saying that if the choices are my first name alone, "dr", or "ms" and I don't feel comfortable in that setting being called by my first name, then is it really inappropraite for me to go by "Dr" rather than "ms"?

If you think so, that's up to you. But if someone explicitly, in a setting that it is appropriate to do so, referred to themselves as "Dr" and you continued to call them by their first name and/or "mr/ms" that is disrespectful.

I don't call my professors "mr. or ms" or even "professor" when they refer to themselves as "dr".

The hostile comment came from the fact that you cursed. I see now that you didn't mean it in a hostile way, but the internet can be misleading.