Doctor Mortgage Loan When Spouse's Credit is Bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted128562

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm considering taking out a physician mortgage loan. Long story short my credit is good (over 720). My spouse's credit is bad (and I mean baaaaaaddddd, like well sub 600). I don't see that getting fixed any time soon in spite of my efforts. I'm the only one of the two of us employed.

Will her credit score matter since the loan is based on my income? Or do they take that into account and I'm SOL? I've googled this stuff and I can't seem to find an answer.
I was in a similar boat.

As long as her name is not on the loan, they don't care about her. Or at least the bank I used, SunTrust, didn't.

Why is her score so bad? Do you have a lot of debts? A bad credit score is usually a symptom of something not kosher going on in your financial life. It may be wise to make sure you are on a budget and have most other debt cleaned up before you buy a home, regardless of whether or not you can get a doctor mortgage. That said, they don’t need her credit to get you a doc loan.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering taking out a physician mortgage loan. Long story short my credit is good (over 720). My spouse's credit is bad (and I mean baaaaaaddddd, like well sub 600). I don't see that getting fixed any time soon in spite of my efforts. I'm the only one of the two of us employed.

Will her credit score matter since the loan is based on my income? Or do they take that into account and I'm SOL? I've googled this stuff and I can't seem to find an answer.
Her score will not matter if she is not on the loan

Reactions: 1 user
I recently did this in Texas. The law said the wife has to be on the title but no requirement about the loan. The bank had no interest in her credit and she is nowhere on the mortgage but she had to show for closing as she is on the title.

Reactions: 1 user
Some states don't allow you to mortgage your primary home on your name w/o your wife I was told and didn't bother to verify. Might be worth checking out if you are in the south.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
This is untrue for South Carolina at the least. Either mortgage or deed to the house itself. Can't speak to other states.

I recently did this in Texas. The law said the wife has to be on the title but no requirement about the loan. The bank had no interest in her credit and she is nowhere on the mortgage but she had to show for closing as she is on the title.

Sounds about right.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Typically you do not need your spouse on the loan so her credit will not matter. Always check with a lender just to be sure as it may depend on the State you are purchasing in :)

Cheers,
Mortgage Loan Expert