dramaQueen16

Live & Laugh ♥
Oct 1, 2009
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
If I shadow a doctor next year (grade twelve) as a work experience course in school but I want to be a Pharmacist... would that still look good on a Pharmacy school application? This question seems kind of dumb as I type it but I'm just wondering considering I live in a small town and I'm pretty sure that the Pharmacies here (things like Rexall and Pharmasave) don't want a high school student around. :( Although, I will be sure to ask. I'm just not sure how else to get some experience/volunteering in.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gigantron

Robot
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Are you applying to combined BS/PharmD type programs? If not, then shadowing in highschool really doesn't matter. Even then, it'd probably be better to shadow a pharmacist as well. You might decide (after shadowing a doctor) that you may actually want to go to med school instead.

orthomyxo

10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Unless you're applying to 6 year PharmD programs, shadowing in high school will not even go onto a Pharm school application.

About the Ads

dramaQueen16

Live & Laugh ♥
Oct 1, 2009
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Nope... I'm going for a 2 + 4 (BS at UBC); so it doesn't matter? Is there anything I CAN do in high school to up my chances of acceptance into a Pharmacy program in the future?

Thanks - I was completely unaware of this!

Doctorverardoll

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2007
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
As a high schooler, I worked at a chain pharmacy. I was able to work as a drug clerk, where I did most things that a pharm tech would. It was a good way for me to see what a pharmacist did at a retail location. I learned a bit, but I definitely took initiative to ask questions, read drug labels, etc.

If you were to shadow a doctor, may be an oncologist.. that way you could learn about chemo. I don't see how shadowing a doctor would help too much.. pharm wise.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.