rogueleadr

Apr 22, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone, just wondering what motivates doctors to allow pre-med students to shadow them? Is it because they genuinely like to teach and pass on knowledge to the new generation? Or is it because they want to build sort of a "teacher" reputation among their peers in order to look more important?

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status (Visible)
I'm sure all doctors must have one single motivation, so you'll get a very relevant answer to all scenarios. Stay tuned!!

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

virtuoso735

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hopefully some of it is empathy for premeds. They were once premeds too who had to look for doctors to shadow...:(

About the Ads

PMPMD

4G MD
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi everyone, just wondering what motivates doctors to allow pre-med students to shadow them? Is it because they genuinely like to teach and pass on knowledge to the new generation? Or is it because they want to build sort of a "teacher" reputation among their peers in order to look more important?

I don't think having premeds shadow you adds that much to one's reputation.

RedSox10

5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Isn't it odd that someone might actually genuinely like to teach?? Oh wait, what about teachers...and professors?? My point is that I think lots of doctors DO enjoy teaching. Many might not have gotten PhDs or become professors so this might be their way of doing a little teaching on the side with students who are very motivated.

Also, others are generally kind and know what its like to be a pre-med. I dont think it counts at all with peers and reputation, as has been stated earlier.

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
Apr 17, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I think it is a mixture between the feeling of "paying it forward" and the fact that it's just common sense that someone that is interested in medicine should know what they are getting into before attending medical school.

rogueleadr

Apr 22, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess what prompted me to ask this question in the first place was this doctor's attitude. It seems that he doesn't enjoy me asking lots of questions. His answers are very brief and never really answer my questions head on. I have an ochem teacher who LOVES to teach. You can usually tell by their attitude and the time and effort spent in answering questions of an eager student. However this nonchalant way of teaching I'm not familiar with.

The Imprisoned

Don't Break the Seal
7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2012
United States
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
They had to jump through the same hoops...they are giving back. Just as I hope many of you will be allowing premeds to shadow you.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.